- advertisement -

Adoption (type 1)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tweety8, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Hi everyone. Just curious is anyone has adopted a type-1 diabetic child? My husband and I are beginning the process for becoming foster parents, and I told the agency that I would be very open to adopting or fostering a child with diabetes. I just cannot imagine a child with D, not having parents of his or her own. Oh my gosh. Anyway, so I am just curious if anyone out there has done this as well?

2. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

No personal experience with adoption, but I think it's wonderful that you are thinking of this. I agree that I can't stand the thought of a child with D (or any other severe disease) having to get by without parents. The fact that you are experienced would be a tremendous benefit to any such child.

3. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

No experience with adoption of special needs children but I am adopted and my brother, my cousin, my 2 brothers-in-law and my sister-in-law are all adopted. I truly was blessed by being adopted. Adoption, in general, is such a generous gift to the child, and to adopt a child who needs special care and understanding is truly wonderful. Good luck and God Bless.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

That's a great idea.
    If you get some good info on adopting a Type 1 child can you post it? I have always wanted to adopt/foster a child.

5. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

My husband and I have had the same thoughts! We are also working through the process to adopt from foster care. So far, we have not had any luck finding a child with Type 1 because Type 1 is not a search-able condition in the CAP book. The closest we got to a type 1 child is that someone at CAP (Children Awaiting Parents national photolisting) thought they know of a young boy with diabetes in Virginia and a young girl in Georgia. We called the counties of those children and they both said they did not have children with Type 1 in care. Dead End. Now we are thinking that we will probably adopt a child without Type 1 because so many kids need families. If you hear of a way to search the system for children with diabetes, please post! -Allison

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We were told that it would be very hard to find a specific style of child that way. The best thing would be word of mouth.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Linda who is from Utah and used to chat in the parents room adopted a type 1 child from Russia several years ago. Linda had 8 birth children, the youngest of whom had type 1. The girl she adopted was about a year younger than her youngest, but was not a baby. I think she was about 10, but don't remember for sure.

8. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I heard about a world adoption agency that placed special needs kids, but it may be a Christian group. Don't know if that is an avenue you'd want. My dh and I have thought about this issue too. I understood that it was difficult to place type 1 children,but I dont know if this agency will allow requests for specific "disabilities".

9. hsmommyofmany

hsmommyofmany Approved members

wow...good for you for considering adoption!! :D i have 4 adopted children, 3 from foster care and it is a wonderful thing to do...my child with diabetes is biological so i dont know about the issue of adopting a type 1...i can tell you that if you go through a foster/adopt program it would be hard to get a specific type of child. good luck and i hope you choose to make a childs dream of a forever family come true.

www.adoptuskids.org is a great website with children who are waiting to be adopted, many of them with special needs...you could check there.

10. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

We thought about the same thing!!
    I am apoted, my MIL is adopted and I thought it would be nice to adopt a child with D. We have 2 boys and we thought it would be nice to adopt a little girl. I dont think we would be able to be that specific: a girl with D. We have not looked into it yet. We live in NC and I know there is a terrible need for foster parents.

11. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Kristen,
    Good to see you posting!!! I am not sure if you know this but Alli is adopted from the foster care system. She was not d when we adopted her but I would have still adopted her if she was. I think it is a great idea though. Good luck, I love good adoption stories!!!!

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

One of the users on here, Kent, adopted two children (or his wife adopted one and he adopted one- not clear) with T1 from overseas.

13. heather

heather Approved members

My son had Type 1 when I adopted him. I always say I have a love-hate relationship with diabetes; I hate it because of how it affects my son, but I embrace it because it brought my son to me.

There was a BIG learning curve when he first moved in--I learned how to be a mom, about diabetes, and parenting a child with special needs all at once! (Talk about trial by fire...) Luckily, I have an amazing support group of friends and family who got me through all the tough times and welcomed my son into the family with open arms. :)

It was the toughest but most rewarding thing I've ever done. If you can do it, go for it! Your life will be all the better for it.

14. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Yay Heather great to see you back too!!!!:D

15. heather

heather Approved members

Thanks, Judy! :D

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how wonderful for you to think of this. I also agree - I can't stand the thought that there are children out there in the system, with diabetes, who don't have loving parents to take care of them. It breaks my heart.

17. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

I sure will post any info I get :)

And thanks everyone for the great words of kindness about this entire process. Hppe everyone is having a good day today.

Kristin

18. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Allison, that is what happened wtih us too - they won't list a child with diabetes in the searchable listings. I have a meeting this week and will find out more then. Congrats to you guys too about the fostering/adoption process. We will take any kids, but again, I jsut cannot imagine if this were my baby in fostercare and with Type-1 also, ya know? It pulls at my heartstrings big time just thinking about it. So...

19. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

www.diabeteshomeforgirls.com

Coming next fall, Lord willing, we will have a home for type 1 girls with diabetes. This would be an awesome opportunity to meet some young ladies in foster care who are legally free for adoption. Please check out our website to learn more...and spread the word if you would. Thanks!
    www.diabeteshomeforgirls.com
    :)

20. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Today the nurse called to tell me that Willow's pump was saying occlusion. During the time I got the message and called back (about 5 minutes) Willow told the nurse that she knew how to prime and did. When I got in touch with the nurse - she told me that Willow had disconnected, and primed out 4 units and reconnected and would recheck in 1 hour to be sure that the occulsion was taken care of. Her numbers did not indicate occlusion - and by the time she got home from school she was 147, had a snack and 2 hours late was 101.

I told her how proud I was of her for taking her D management into her own hands and how responsible that was! Big step! The nurse also told me that she was so proud and amazed at how well Willow takes care of herself.:D