- advertisement -

ADA Camp Colorado canceled due fire

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by *Shannon, Jun 26, 2012.

1. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I have a very sad 11 year old on my hands. Momma is pretty sad, too. This was going to be her first time at camp, any camp. She and a friend from her soccer team with type 1 agreed to go if the other did.

We were supposed to take her down to Eagle Lake Camp Sunday morning. The Waldo Canyon fire has reached the camp, but so far has only destroyed one structure associated with the camp.

We'll try again next year.

So, so bummed...

2. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Ohhhhh, that IS sad and very disappointing!!
    Here's to next year and hoping the fire gets stopped and the camp (and everyone\everything) stays safe.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I know a few D-moms and kids that are going to be disappointed. I hope everyone stays safe.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I am so sorry to hear that. My 11 year had her first time at ADA camp a couple of weeks ago. I was worried that forest fires near Payson earlier were going to cancel her camp as well. Fortunately, they were contained well before.

Hopefully she can go next year. The camps are really great!

5. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I'm so sorry. DS went there 2 years ago. Those camp staff members are awesome. I feel so bad for everyone connected to the camp as it is a church camp all other weeks throughout the summer. So many evacuations.

I'm up here in Northern CO where the High Park fire seems to finally be calming down now. But the Boulder fire just started this afternoon. Lots of smoke and it is windy as heck out there right now. Ugh!

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I'm sorry to hear! My coworkers daughter's camp was also cancelled. These fires are unbelievable. So sad, and no end in sight. Received an automated call from Medtronic today about what supplies to bring if evacuated by the "Colorado Fires". Unreal.

7. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I'm sorry - I'm stuck at work every day during the week. I can't.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

How horrible the fires have been. What a disappointment for the kids.:(

9. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I'm so sorry to read that; the fires have been so scary to watch. I hope your DD is ok with the disappointment.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That is a real bummer. It stinks that they had to cancel, but I am glad that it happened before and not during camp where they would have to evac everyone.

This is so scary to see the fires. I hope everyone in the CWD family is safe.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm so sad for you both.:( That just stinks.

Boy those fires look scary...just watching them on the news this morning...I think it was around Colorado Springs where a firestorm just broke through everything the firefighters were doing to stop it and destroyed so many homes. Hope you and all you love stay safe!

12. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

So sorry to hear that the camp had to be closed, but as a previous poster said, better to have it closed than have to evacuate a bunch of scared kids. These fires out here are really scary. Told my dd last night I was thinking of moving back to Iowa because I was afraid the whole state of CO was going to burn. I'm safe where I am and praying for all those close to the fires and those who have lost or are in danger of losing their homes.

13. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I have a similarly sad 12 year old on my hands. The devastation of the fires in our state is insane. We've packed up a bunch of donations that we'll be dropping off tomorrow, and plan to attend the ADA team red event on Saturday. The kids can pick up their camp t-shirts and goody bags, catch up with or meet other T1D friends / kids. PM me and I'll give you the info (it was also in the email about camp being cancelled.) Our girls are pretty close in age, and with camp cancelled, I've been trying to get kids who were going to go together to do something. Part of the sadness is not getting to be completely normal b/c the group you're with is just like you. If you or your daughter are interested, send me a pm about that too!

The camps been hit harder since that first shed or cabin went down. I am really hoping that rebuilding will have the camp ready by next year. I'm keeping an eye on Eagle Lake Camp's home page in case there are volunteer opportunities to help in that process. We're a few hours away from camp, but it would be so worth our time to help ensure camp can happen next year. In the meantime, I think Emily deserves a huge thank you card for trying to find an alternative site to move camp to...