- advertisement -

Activities and blood sugar...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Jun 29, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

How often do you test around sports and activities like swimming?

DD does gymnastics and is starting ballet this week. We also go swimming and do other fun summer stuff. I'm checking her before she does the activity, but how often and how long after do I check her.

Today she was 83 before we went swimming, so I gave her an apple juice (13 carbs) and some chips that she didn't finish. We went swimming and right after she was 107. We got home, changed and she dropped to 58. I gave her a snack, some strawberries, crackers, cheese and another apple juice and now she is 127.

How long after an activity do you usually see an effect or drop and I've heard people talk about drops hours after?

2. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

it really depends on the activity, with swimming we usually see it right away so we give a juice or skittles during swimming and we do actually check every hour when they have adult swim

but my dd plays soccer and goes to taekwondo tournaments, at both of those we see an adrenaline high! like high 300s!!! that we can not bring down and then 6 hours after we see a low like 40s!!! and if soccer practice is 6-8pm this can be really scary

there is no real prediction of diabetes, every day is a different adventure! =-(

3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

My daughter does dance during the school year and we usually try to be in the low hundreds before class. I usually don't see any major problems for dance.

Swimming - we see a drop, and it's usually hours after she's out of the pool. Not sure why that is - be it the sun, water, activity - she will be fine right out of the pool, but invariably she'll start dropping a few hours later. It can even run into the evening, depending on how late in the day she swims and how long she was in the pool. I just keep a close eye on her CGM and treat right away when it starts to dip. One thing I've noticed that does help is to make sure they get plenty of water while swimming. We're in steaming hot Las Vegas (109 today - ugh), so hydration can make a big difference.

4. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

So basically I am trying to chase the wind? :cwds:

I will keep monitoring her I guess. We've only had two lows so far...one at 55 and today at 58. Today she said she didn't feel any different, but the other day she said she was cold and shaky. Wish this whole thing was easier to predict. :(

Thanks for your help. She was pretty exhausted after gymnastics yesterday, but I didn't notice any lows or anything. We are still new at this, so trying to see how each thing affects her.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

If you are having consistent extra activity sometimes it is easier to reduce the basal for 12 to 24 hours, along with extra food. I have found that basal insulin needs vary (for 24 hours) based on the amount of regular exercise, i.e. running 5 days a week need one basal pattern, not running regularly need different pattern (more overall). Good luck. ali

6. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

My daughter is also 5 and activity affects her so strongly that when the weather turned warm and she started getting more exercise we thought she was going through a second honeymoon. We test her at least once an hour during swimming and she almost always needs sugar. We give her carbs on the way home and test when we get home and again, she is low. We give her extra snack before bed and always test her a few hours later because she is usually low again.

Now that I see what I'm writing, I realize that we are not giving her enough long-acting carbs during this whole process. hmmm...

Good luck with your daughter, and if you find something that works, let me know.