- advertisement -

ACT accommodations

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Illinifan, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I have been an advocate for applying for accommodations for taking the SAT in the past. A quick search through the forums will verify that; however, all my experience to date has been with the SAT. We had Zach take it as a 7th grader and received his accommodations approval then. We updated his records earlier this year and he's all set for the SAT this fall.

However, it seems to me that the paperwork for the ACT is SIGNFICANTLY different and we are still trying to get it in so he can test late Sep/early Oct.

Does anybody have any experience with the ACT accommodations process? If so, please fill me in on the specifics of what the paperwork should look like.

A little more background: MDI, Novolog and Lantus. Accommodations wanted: Able to test, able to drink juice, able to administer insulin if needed.

2. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

We don't have experience with the ACT, so I'll wish you good luck. I hope that the procedure is at least similiar to the one for the SAT because that accomodation was used for each sitting plus any AP exams. My son has just applied for an accomodation to take the Praxis I. After one denial because paperwork was incomplete (he didn't include a registration form with payment without selecting a test date :rolleyes:), he resubmitted and received an accomodation that will expire on Nov. 26, 2010. He will have further tests to take through this group and the thought of him going through this every time is disappointing. He asked to bring his pump, meter, water and snacks to the test room and to have the clock stop to address any bg related issues.

3. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I have gone through requesting accomodations for both the ACT and SAT for my daughter and received the appropriate accomodations. We do not have a 504 so we did it all ourselves with the help of a well-worded letter from the endo.

For the ACT you have to use a paper application booklet which had all of the steps for requesting accomodations in it. We requested "Center Testing #1:Standard Time with Accomodations." (One of their examples in the booklet for Center Testing #1 is "Permission for diabetics to eat snacks.")

I just now looked at the booklet (which for some reason I kept) and it really spells out all of the items they need. I made the request in letter format detailing out what accomodations she needed and also made sure to address each item they asked for in the booklet. I attached the endo letter. All of that was sent by mail with the test registration folder and I sent it way ahead of time of the test date.

There wasn't any other correspondence, we just received the accomodations letter and admission ticket. The letter says "you have been authorized to receive the following accomodations for the ACT examination: Food/drink during exam, Stop-the-clock breaks within sections, Other aid/accomodation, Single room (must be alone). Stop-the-clock breaks are approved as needed to monitor glucose level and for restroom use. Examinee may bring and use diabetic supplies. Examinee wears and insulin pump."

Good luck.

4. Illinifan

Where did you get the booklet?

5. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that the accomadations included the ACT test along with the SAT, Regents and AP tests. I will have to check into this.

6. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

It seems like eons ago that we dealt with this.... I don't remember any details except I called the ACT people and they talked me thru it. We did it after the SATs accomodations so it seemed easy.

I'd try calling and asking questions.

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I would check with your guidance department at his school. They probably have the paperwork on hand.

8. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

9. maryellen816

I think I got the paper registration booklet from requesting it online from the ACT website. http://www.actstudent.org/forms/stud_req.html

The guidance office may have one too which would be a faster way of getting one.

ETA: looks like the website above from Jessica would be the fastest way to go since you can register online and then just send your request letter and documentation.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

curious... is the clock stopped for them during a low or high bg?
    :confused:

11. wdhinn89

during a low only for us

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Yes, as I recall, Alex's accomodations where for extra breaks if needed with clock stops, and longer breaks if needed. It wasn't written out but the breaks would be to deal with lows or highs or pump issues. And he was allowed to have the pump and meter in the room with him. I don't remember if we had it that he could have the snack and juice in the room w/ him but I think that was part of it too.

13. wdhinn89

A low can pretty much be brought up within 20 minutes. A high can take at least an hour for the insulin to kick in and bring down BG. It can take longer if the BG is really high. I can't see a procter waiting around for a high to come down before restarting the test.

14. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi has to take the PSAT this year, should I bother getting accommodations for that??? She took it last year pre-diagnosis.

15. maryellen816

The stop the clock breaks are to test, treat as needed but I wouldn't expect the break to last as long as it takes for a high to come down.

As far as the PSAT, we didn't really think about accomodations in time for it but you can get them same process as the SAT. One thing about my daughter's PSAT was that all the kids had to leave all of their stuff out in the hallway while taking the test so she couldn't have her test kit, food etc. But she just said she'd scrap the test and go get it if she needed it. That isn't something you want to do 3 1/2 hours into the ACT or SAT for sure.

16. wdhinn89

Thank you for making me aware that ACT accomodations and SAT/Regets accomodations are different.

I have the ACT paperwork and I have a question. The forms are asking for a test date, does this mean that you need to send in a request for every ACT test taken or does the accomodation cover all future tests taken too?

17. Illinifan

Good question. We received the approval letter for Zach's accommodations (testing, treating lows, stopping the clock), but I didn't look closely enough to know if it's a one time only thing or if it covers him for future test dates as well.

Once we got the forms from the HS counselor and sent them in, it only took about 3-4 weeks to get the approval back. It took the SAT a lot longer than that.

18. maryellen816

My daughter took the ACT twice but only had to go through the process of getting accommodations once. When she signed up the second time, the system knew she qualified.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  19. wdhinn89

Thanks!

So when she arrived at the test location to take the test the second time, they had her on a list with kids who needed accomodations?

20. maryellen816

I couldn't really remember how it worked so just now I went online to sign her up for the test in February and when I got to the section for accommodations it had her information about requiring a separate room for testing. But it wouldn't let me complete the registration online. It said if we still need a separate room to call the number given and complete the registration over the phone.

Now I remember doing that for her second test. I called and the woman had all of the information about which accommodations were needed in her computer and basically just asked me if that was still what we wanted. Then she took the credit card info over the phone and sent the confirmation in the mail to us. I think we even got another letter which spelled out the accommodations.

This is the message from the website and the phone number:

You previously requested to test in a single room (must be alone). If you need this accommodation for the test date you are now registering for, you cannot complete your registration on the Web. Instead, please call ACT during business hours at 1-319-337-1851 to speak with an agent and complete your registration.

If you do not need to test in a single room (must be alone), you may continue this to complete this Web registration.

What would you like to do now?
    Exit Registration Continue Registration