- advertisement -

Acoustic guitar players-I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kyleesmom, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

My mom has decided she wants to learn to play acoustic guitar so my dad is getting her one for her birthday. Im doing all the buying and picking things, he is the money guy:) She is getting a Fender Starcaster and we have the tuner, picks and bag for it but we need to get her some sort of learning to play books/DVDs. Are there any you would recommend? Do you use a strap with an acoustic guitar? All of them I looked at have the places to put a strap, but no strap. Is that a personal preference thing or do most people not use one? Anything else I need to get for her?

One of my boys plays electric guitar and the other plays bass, but they are pretty new at it and Im pretty clueless when it comes to picking things out, I just buy what they say :)

2. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Here's what Ryan says....He's been playing for around a year now. Had a guitar longer than that.

He thinks it would be best to get a teacher. It was really hard for him to learn by the DVD/books, we tried. He's blossomed with the teacher to do the hands on and theory. The straps are used for all guitars if you are standing. You can buy them separately.

Good luck...I am the money person here. Ryan is the guitar guy!!!;)

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There are a lot of good "learn to play guitar" books out there, the Mel Bay series being one of the better ones. Most music stores or online stores should carry them. As for the strap, I would say wait. One of the main reasons for using a strap is for standing up and playing/performing. If your Mom is just going to be sitting in the house playing then she should not need a strap. You also might want to start her off with nylon strings versus steel ones, as they will be easier on her fingers....

4. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Aaron says the same thing, he's been playing since he was 5 (now 14) a teacher is the best way to go, a real person is easier to learn from. He plays the acoustic, electric, & bass. He is now looking for the $ person (me) to chip in for a new one. Guitar players get a need a new guitar sickness :rolleyes:
    Good Luck!

5. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

There's also hundreds of free guitar lessons on youTube.

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I'm self taught and I learned everything from tablature books. I remember in high school, if a friend had a tab book that I wanted, we'd spend our lunch hour at the photocopier. Also, jamming with others is the best way to learn because it forces you to push your limits to learn something new.