- advertisement -

acne question

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Jan 30, 2011.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Welcome to the teen years, right?
    Morgan has a case of acne that wasn't clearing up. I took him to the dr. last week. He prescribed Retin A once a day and then an otc benzoyl peroxide treatment once a day opposite the retin A. He said to wash his face with a mild soap and nothing else. The dr. told me Morgan's face would probably get worse before it gets better and that it may become dry, flaky, and red. This all could take up to a month to clear up. My question is has anybody else used this or their kids use it? Morgan's acne completely cleared up within a week. Now his face is really flaky and raw looking. Do I keep using the retin A if there is no breakouts? Does it work as a preventative? I hate to keep putting it on his raw face if I don't need to, but I don't want to stop since dr. said it could take a month. But, did he mean a month for the acne to clear up? What have been your experiences?

As long as we are talking teenage boys: do your boys smell more when they are a teen? I use a deodorant on Morgan, but he is in a stage where he needs a bath every night (was just bathing every other night.) He stinks! LOL I suppose this is a hormonal thing? Also his hair is very oily. He has only been a teen for 6 months and it is already driving me crazy. ;)

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

idk Holly,

try calling the doc back leaving message with nurse. I thought that sometimes it takes a antibiotic to clear things up

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I love the cetaphil stuff, use it on myself,

I know this is off topic, but my nephew was over, said his hands were dirty, so he just sprayed them with some axe deodorant I had in bathroom. good as new!

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Cetaphil is what cleared up Allan's Manicure girls face, she was a mess. Allan uses it on his hands as well for exema.

6. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

Brandon doesn't really have acne,but I wanted to suggest Tea tree
    shampoo..it helps keep the oil down/flakes out of the hair.I get
    him the kind from Axe..yes i agree 2,all boys smell:D

7. Mody_Jess_Pony

I want to say please don't let your kids use axe, to those of us who choke and have to suck back on the inhaler, it's not fun, please buy your kids a roll on deodorant, maybe some fancy smacy dove man body wash or red spice....but all axe does is mask the scent and make it hard for a LOT of people to breath. They do sell clinical strength deodorant over the counter now, but sprays are kinda gross, because they aren't antiperspirant just perfume which you spray on that doesn't prevent the man stank from happening.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I am a HUGE fan of this stuff: https://www.acnefree.com/index.htm
    I buy it at Sam's but Target also carries it.

I can clearly see when they are not using it, it's that obvious. But when they use it regularly, we don't get that red/raw look either.

Have to ditto the Axe suggestion!

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Axe comes in a stick deodorant, not just a spray, do you have problems with that too or only the spray stuff? My son uses the Axe deodorant and body wash and it definitely works well, and doesn't overpower. I'm extremely sensitive to smells and HATE perfume/cologne, but am not bothered by the Axe deodorant or body wash.

10. Mody_Jess_Pony

JUST the SPRAY. Their other products are not over powering at all thats what I meant.

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Ditto on Cetaphil, I used it for awhile, when I was doing topical acne care, and liked it a lot. It comes in a bar soap that is wonderful.

12. shekov

shekov Approved members

I agree with the cetaphil. Got it for my 12 year old dd and it wors great without drying too much.

As far as the oily hair and smelly stuff....it just comes with the hormones. ;)

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When you say Cetaphil do you mean wash their face with the bar version or the pump liquid stuff? I have the bar type now.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members