- advertisement -

Accutane

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Amy C., Nov 10, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It seems that my son may need to go on Accutane to clear up his acne. He is on his third round of antibiotics, uses a soap designed to dry his skin, plus Aczone lotion (twice a day).

It doesn't seem to work all that well -- especially his back.

The possible side effects are huge and I am wondering if he ought to just live with the acne.

Anyone have experience with this drug?

2. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

My son took it for six months ( it was the generic not actually Accutane) it worked fine and he did not any trouble - the main side effect he had was very dry skin and lips - he blames the accutane for the trouble he has had with his omnipod, up until then he had not issues with adhesive but even after being off for more than 2yrs he still has dry skin issues and adhesive issues, he would not do it again - I don't know if that really caused the trouble he has had with the pods but it definitley caused the dry skin.
    He probably really needed to stay on it longer but he chose not too, the acne was clear when he stopped but has come back but not nearly as bad and I can tell as he gets older it is not as bad..he is 18.

3. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I have seen law suit ads on TV for quite awhile for Accutane. Personally, I would not take the risk for my children or future grandchildren. That being said, I have 2 family members who take it. My niece has to have a pregnancy test every few months to proove she is not pregnant. There are very bad side affects to a fetus and my nephew had to stop taking it because of major headaches.

4. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My husband has cystic acne, he took Accutane and we had to sign a paper that said we wouldn't sue if I got pregnant and something happened. As it turned out I was already pregnant so we felt pretty safe when he started taking it. Dry, itchy skin and especially dry lips were bad side effects, also while it did help to some extent, it didn't make all the acne go away. He still has some on his back, but it did seem to clear his face up.

If we could go back and do it again, we wouldn't do it. The results wasn't worth the side effects for us. But then this was just our experience.

5. Andii

Andii Approved members

I took Accutane when I was in my mid 20s. I was starting a career and felt that I needed to do something about my skin. It really affected my confidence and self esteem. I had cysts which left scars on my face that took 6 months or more to fade, really discouraging. Like everyone else, I had the dry lips and skin. I had to keep something on my lips at all times. My skin was totally clear for 18 months, then it came back, but not nearly as bad. I could control it with Retin A which had never worked before. I would do it again for the results I got. That said, he should be aware of the side affects and risks of this drug and make an informed decision. I'm not sure I would give it to a teenager. I literally tried everything else, starting at age 13, before resorting to this, maybe he should try some other treatments first. Good luck.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My ds took it and had no problems. At the time you had to get continuing blood work done every month or so. Positive experience here.

7. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I took accutane about 2 years ago for my acne. It wasn't a fun experience while I was on it because of the very dry skin. But I have now been acne free for about 2 years with pretty much no effort anymore, which is amazing. If I had the choice to do it again, I would. Good luck to you guys!

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

A good friend of mine took Accutane shortly after it became available. The transformation for him was breathtaking. Dry lips, yes, but otherwise no issues.

The drug works as advertised, but there are extreme risks for women.

9. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

Oh where to begin, first I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy! Luke started it in Sept 09. By November we were having alot of stomach issues. The ped. dermatologist referred us to his pediatrician who prescribed prevacid. Not getting any better ...2 weeks later did a xray - then ct scan and discovered a mass on his liver, ended up being a liver cyst w/ 2 liters of fluid (huge)! Surgeon told us this is a complication of accutane - documented in 1% of users. Never read that in the literature. The derm wasn't even aware until i showed him the medline document . BTW his blood sugars were fine pre-surgery .. Six weeks post surgery diagnosed w/ diabetes !!!
    This drug has so many side effects that are not even listed in the book they give you !!! Would never do this again, the doctors make it sound so safe and controlled ! NOT!

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My cousin took it in his late teens/early 20s. He became severely depressed in this time frame but at the time, didn't attribute it to the accutane because it wasn't yet known that it could cause depression. Now he is quite certain that it was the accutane. He had to be put on medication for many years to help the depression.
    I would really look in to the psychological side effects before you make a decision on this. I'm not saying your son shouldn't use it, but go in aware.

I also just remembered one of my college roommates. She took accutane and experienced pretty bad hair loss - which for a girl, was devastating.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd was on Claravis...the generic form, as the brand name Accutane is no longer available. She started last Jan & finished in June. She had a very severe form of cystic acne that caused horrible scarring. Our dermatologist went over all the risks with us. We actually had 2 appts just to discuss the risk vs benefits.

The feds regulate the usage & are very strict about the rules. We had to register online with the iPledge program. Each month, a pregnancy test was required & the results had to be entered online by the dr before we could get our Rx. The Rx must be filled within 6 days.

Our derm. ordered lipid & hepatic profiles every other month. Increased cholesterol is a common side effect, & dd's did go up by quite a bit. It has now returned to normal range.

We saw no effects on BGs at all. Extreme dry skin & chapped lips are also common. The derm gave us samples of several moisturizers to try til we found one that worked well. We used Cetaphil, & for lips we used Aquaphor.

ETA: She did complain with joint pain about 3 months into treatment. Once her dosage was lowered, the pain stopped completely.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  12. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I took it in the 90's and now Kayla is taking it. No side effects for us except the dry skin.

13. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I took it when it first came out, around late 80s/early 90s. Had always had bad acne, tried everything. Honestly it was like a miracle, skin cleared right up. I had to have blood draws/pregnancy tests every month & knew I could NOT get pregnant when on it. I do remember a pharmacist friend telling me I was crazy for taking it at the time. All 3 of my kids were born after taking it, no known impact on them. Would definitely put any of them on it if their skin condition warranted it. Like any drug, have weigh the risks/benefits and make informed choice, work w/ doc to monitor results/side effects.

14. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

My oldest daughter took it a few years ago. It was very rigid with the blood work and pregnancy tests every month. I was worried about putting her on it as well, but we tried so many other things and none of them worked. I can say if I had to do it over again I would. She looks beautiful!!!! I forget how bad it was until we stumble upon an old picture. She will get an occasional pimple, maybe every six months and that is it. For us it worked beautifully!!! Good luck with your decision.