- advertisement -

Accuracy of meter cause for high A1c? which is best?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 5miraclez, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 5miraclez

5miraclez Approved members

I was very excited when I finally got my dd on a pump and thought she would have much better control but since being on it, her sugars seemed to swing dramatically. I was horrified when I took her to the Dr today and her A1c was high (9.6)

The Dr. seemed to blame it on her machine being inaccurate. She had been using the BD Machine that came with and read to her pump (the Minimed 522). He gave us a OneTouch UltraSmart and said it was more accurate and that we needed to switch although I feel he is a bit biased since he has a pump by Accucheck as well as the machines (he's diabetic too). After we got home I thought I would try the 2 machines side by side before I gave it up, and see what they would both read. At first they were reading within 10-20 of each other but then I decided to retest with the same finger to see if they would be within range of themselves. Well the Ultra was within 15 of the 1st reading while the BD was 90 off!

I'm pretty upset to say the least. The Ultra seems cool and all but most of what it does our pump already does and I feel like it is overkill. I can't be expected to enter data into the machine everytime I check her (or me). That is why we got the Minimed, so we wouldn't have to enter data in and it would calculate everything for us.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything.
    Which machines are accurate though? The UltraSmart is just too much for us. We just need something small that will give a reading and maybe have memory in it.

2. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

I prefer the Ultra meters, I've found they are more accurate for me. You don't have to use all the functions of the Ultrasmart either. Or you can get something smaller, like the Ultra, Ultra 2, or the Ultramini, they all use the same strips and often are covered more by insurance companies at a lower copay(from my experience, depends on your policy).

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would call the meter company and tell them what is happening. Tell them you are using a different brand and the variances (generally 10-20 difference is pretty accurate) and ask for a new meter. Let them know the whole reason you went with their meter was because it talked to the pump and you feel the info it's transmitting isn't totally accurate.

We use the OneTouch UltraSmart (given to us with our pump) and I love it. While it is bigger, it is easier to hold and offers many different graphs.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we found this with the BD too and our endo said, very politely, that the BD meters tend to be lower than everything else.. I tried it side by side as well and it it was always lower, sometimes between 100-120 off!! thats big when you are talking highs and lows.. we use to use the ultrasmart and really loved it,but switched to the freestyle flash because it takes less blood, but I do love the ultrasmart best... also, when we first started pumping the dr said to expect her A1c to head up the first time or two because you are working to get everything stable, and it could take a while..

as for entering the numbers we don't enter every single number into the pump.. we enter what is necessary for the pump to calculate accurately.. if its before a meal, we enter, but if we are checking for a high or low we don't necessarily enter it.. of, course if she's high, we enter and it corrects her, but if she's fine or low we do not enter it.. you have to manualy bolus her anyway so its one more screen and a scroll of the numbers to add a BG.. yes, to have it already entered in there for you is great, but if its inaccurate then it really doesn't do you any good..

a side note.. maybe this is why Minimed is no longer dealing with BD?? or is going to stop dealing with them if they haven't already...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

If you have the UltraSmart or the Ultra (NOT the Ultra2), you can upload the data from the meter to Medtronic's web site - Carelink - and all the pump data too. Then you can have all the data in one spot which is really handy for looking for patterns and adjusting doses/ratios.

Then you don't have to worry about entering the bg into the pump for data analysis purposes - only when you need it for bolusing for food or corrections.