- advertisement -

Accu chek mobile

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Mar 18, 2011.

1. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

So I guess any info on a US release is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Thank god for the FDA :mad:

2. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

These are great, I have purple and blue , these are also the same strips that I get from the hospital program, so I have plenty of them to use.
    Are you finding them to be accurate?

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Accurate enough.

IMHO the first test of accuracy is having access to strips when needed.

If these get carried and used then that is far more accurate than a meter left at home because it was to bulky, just sayin'.

4. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Thanks for the links, Bennett. Each one's lovelier than the last.

Never been to Shoot Up before, I've added it to my list.

I needed the Colbert reference to ease my ire with the FDA after viewing the photos on Shoot Up. How can they sleep at night knowing they stand between my son and those nice looking little needles?:mad:

6. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

The Aviva Expert would be fantastic to have while on MDI! Why oh why can't these be approved in the US?

We're going back on the pod starting tonight, but even so, this meter would be a great produt for pump breaks. I didn't realize how much I depend on the pump info until we weren't using it.

7. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Very true. I dont worry to much, with any meter, unless I know the number should be reading different than what it says. Then I retest with that meter, if still off I will test with another meter. I use the strips I have, so I use those two true 2 go, everyday.

8. AccuChekCanada

AccuChekCanada New Member

Testimonials with the Accu-Chek Mobile

Hi all,

We have collected the testimonials of six Canadians living with type 1 diabetes and who have tried the Mobile. Over the course of one day, each of them explained their methods for managing diabetes - always in a positive light. These testimonials are meant to be both useful and inspiring for the community of people living with diabetes.

You can watch them on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/AccuchekCanada) or on Accu-Chek? Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/AccuchekCanada).

We would very much like to know your opinion of these testimonials, and if you?ve tried the Mobile, any feedback you can provide will be truly appreciated.
    You will find more information about the Accu-Chek Mobile there: http://www.accu-chek.ca/mobile.

Should you have any questions, don?t hesitate to ask them here, we?ll be glad to provide you with answers.

Looking forward to reading your comments,
    Have a good day all,
    The Accu-Chek team

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

They have this meter here and I do see its merits but at $75 and no deal if you buy the cartridges (which are more expensive than my usual strips) I'm not ready to commit. I haven't paid for a meter yet. Accuchekcanada - you would get more users by giving the meter away with purchase of the cartridges IMHO.

10. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

Jacky - I phoned accuchek and they said the meter is free if you have insurance. I phoned the pharmacy and they confirmed this.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Can you tell me when these strips might be covered under Ontario drug benefit / trillium drug plan. I ask because many private drug plans also follow the ODB formulary and for my general information.

Also, when do you expect the meter will be free with the purchase of 100 strips or something along those lines. I know many type 1s prefer the free meter as we are such big consumers of strips and prefer to receive the meter for free. I think rather than say it costs 75 you should say free with 200 or 300 strips

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Yes shoppers drug mart was asking 75.00 in Ontario, the only other meter that is not offered free is bayer contour usb and they are asking 100 at shoppers and walmart

13. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Thanks Mary Jayne. I'm not sure how they can state that though as all insurance plans are different - mine only covers up to a max of $30 every four years - and we already got the Precision Extra under it. The only reason I paid for the Extra was because I didn't want to buy their strips otherwise it would have been free.

14. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

Jacky

I just phoned accuchek again and as long as the child is using fast acting insulin and has private insurance they will get the meter for free. They are not charging the insurance. It is done through the pharamacist, The circle plus program will take $7.00 off for each cartridge. This is also done through the pharmacist. I phoned Safeway and my son would qualify for the free meter and the $7.00 off for each cartridge. Good luck!

15. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Wow - Thanks Mary Jayne - we have our prescription at Rexall so I'll talk to them. Great information - that's why I love this site - thank you for sharing.

16. AccuChekCanada

AccuChekCanada New Member

Thank you all for your interest!
    Mary Jayne gave the perfect answer to your questions:

The best way to get answers on Accu-Chek products is indeed to call our Customer Care center: 1-800-363-7949. Thank you Mary Jayne for taking the time to provide the community with information!

17. jasemin

jasemin New Member

Problems with Mobile

"The problems of the Accu-Chek" - report after two days as a student at Roche

I study chemistry. I had a 'Roche meets' visit for e-fellows (students) at Roche Diagnostics, Mannheim, Germany. There was an visit through the development of diabetes meters. There, the Accu-Chek devices were developed. First there was the standard program with informatio about career at Roche. There were 1000 Power Point slides shown. Boring. It was the business model. Also, the importance of customers and patients. At the time I still believed that and thought it was great!
    Then came the visit through the company. Many offices. A lot of logistics. But little technology.
    In Mannheim, it is only the development for diabetes. Otherwise there is nothing more. It does not look for innovation.

The visit went into the development for Accu-Chek boodglucose meters. There is a room with lots of blood glucose meters. They let us try different Accu-Chek: Mobile, Compact, Nano. Since there were important models of meters by other companies. We could only view and not use it. When trying out the Accu-Chek has been with me my blood glucose had a very high value. The woman, who looked after us, said the wrong high values with the measured value is known. There is a problem with the technique. This was recognized in studies. It also had people in the clinic.
    She has explanation : When the test strip is beeing pressed or moved, then the value change is different. Because the tape is deformed. Then, the light is measured with the wrong reflected. This also happens when the tape is moved by mistake. Then the dark bars are in the signal. This is a problem with the optical assembly.
    As I understand it: the band is like a mirror that reflects the light back to the measuring unit (the red lights within the meter) differently, so that the device detects other, wrong values!
    Another flaw: when the finger is not washed, then put any dirt on the tape. This mixes with the blood. This can also give false readings. Man, I should always wash your fingers. I was wondering: what if I'm on a trip? I can not always wash my hands. The answer was: you can not tape over the lead?. But old people get the point no. Not even people with low blood sugar. Or on the bus, if it wobbles.

The high values are also known by other users. In many forums it is reported. But the company does not care. The woman was delighted by the mechanical standard in Mobile. But what brings people with diabetes complicated technology, if not the result of sugar right? As developed by false pretenses!
    A member of the development says, for admission in the clinical study were were cassettes pre-selected, pre-sorted. To make sure nothing happens! That said!!!

The employees also said that the new system, the successor of Mobile, there should be only better technology. Bluetooth, USB and so on. But to measure the volume and the type remains the same!
    The error remains!
    It does not get better, and Roche agrees that the wrong people measure.

It went on. In a laboratory. The people of the development in the narrow laboratory looked annoyed when we were out there. The measure thousand strips by hand every day. I asked a woman in a yellow shirt Whether the false with the values often occur? As pushed in between the lab director and said we need to leave the room because of risk of infection.

That was an interesting first day. I was very shocked? About the openness of me? Found was about? HAZARDOUS bug speak!

On days at most a man by the way said, that Roche is developing a whole new system:
    Arbeutet it with a new chemistry, which is insensitive to light and humidity. It was measured with UV. It should be as small lancets. Over a small canal, the blood comes automatically to the test area. It takes very little blood volume for 50 or more tests ona disk.
    After what I've learned the day before this is still found as dangerous: The diabetic has no more influence on the measurement. The lower the blood volume, the sensitive system to dirt! Then again tinkered a technical gimmick. And diabetics, Roche does not matter.
    About Facebook, I am in contact with one of the developers. It CONFIRMS my suspicions and says that Roche is no longer Boehringer. It would be saved. There are degraded places. The quality is t low.

The high-bay warehouse was the only technical highlight of the day. There was something to see what was modern times. It has surprised me? How easy everything was for Roche and how dreary and gray.

Known problems as to turn that it is sold is still not great.