- advertisement -

Accu Chek Combo Pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Oct 5, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Anybody use it? Love It,hate it,why?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I looked into it when it first came out, and decided against it for a couple of reasons: (1) the pump itself doesn't have a bolus wizard. That exists only on the remote. On the pump, you can only bolus by units; and (2) the menus on the thing were a mess. Just very counterintuitive.

3. wearingtaci

:confused:
    I already hate pump shopping. We have narrowed it down to the tslim or the 530g. Sophie likes the 530g,and I tend to be wary of new tech companies. I also know I can never even choose a new smartphone and end up returning several before just settling for one. Maybe I will just sit back and let her choose for herself

4. hawkeyegirl

Well, I'll tell you. Between the MM pump and the t:slim, I prefer the t:slim, but the MM pump served us well for 5.5 years, and I couldn't fault you for choosing the 530g. However, that locks you into the MM CGM. I've never used the Enlites, but I think they are similar enough to the old sensors that I can unreservedly say that the Dexcom G4 is better. So if you don't care about CGM, get whichever pump you like best. If you do want a CGM, I'd get the t:slim, since MM is bundling the CGM with their pump, which will mean that insurance will not cover a Dex for you.

ETA: The t:slim has been around a year. Personally, I wouldn't worry about their "newness" anymore. C/S has been awesome for us.

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

The 530g doesn't lock you into the Minimed CGM anymore than the t:slim locks you into no CGM. You can use the Dexcom as easily as you can with the t:slim, it's just a separate device to wear, and obviously you won't get the threshold suspend, which is the 530g's selling point over the 523.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I believe that people ar reporting is that if you want the 530 then it is packaged with the CGM and therefore a person would be billed thru insurance for pump and CGM. That it is not possible to get it without CGM. At least that is what I have read others write.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think that the above poster was thinking that if your Insurance paid for a 530G pump/cgm combo then it wouldn't also pay for the Dexcom so you are locked in.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter has expressed an interest in looking at the Acc-chek pump next time she gets to chose, but with our insurance no longer covering any test strips but One Touch, I'm not sure what she'd think. Acc-chek has fabulous customer service in our experience with meters/strips/lancets.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Wow, this pump would be awesome for both my son and daughter. I had no idea about it. My daughter will be leaving home in about 6 months and will have 24/7 staff, but with a pump like that I could keep an eye on things very well. It is so scary to think of how to train everyone well enough to keep her under decent control. My son has never wanted a pump, but he has far too many lows with activity and this might just be something he would consider.

11. hawkeyegirl

Yep. But as Meg pointed out in another thread, she could first order a Dex, and then MM would be in the position of having to sell her the 530g without the CGM or losing a pump customer.

12. wearingtaci

That is a good idea,but I wonder if insurance would go for it. In all honesty,we could go for the Ping,and when/if her insulin needs increase more then get a pump with a bigger cartridge size. Looking at the coverage they would pay for a new pump then. The downside to that is that one touch strips aren't the preferred strip,so I'm not sure how useful the remote would be,without using it as a meter too

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

With a doctor's note of medical necessity saying that the Medtronic CGM isn't suitable (for whatever reason, such as accuracy) wouldn't it be fraud for Medtronic to bundle the pump and CGM in the first place?

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I agree. It is waterproof too. The only issue is the 150 unit reservoir but that is a very minor issue.

It seems like an ideal pump and a nice change.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

16. hawkeyegirl

There is no reason why your insurance wouldn't go for it. Insurance companies are used to people ordering a CGM from one company and a pump from another.

17. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

Trial

We just switched pump companies. We had the ping for 4 years leading up to this (great pump just wanted a bigger cartridge). We tried the minimed with cgm, but my daughter missed having a remote plus the we did not like the cgm sensors. So we decided to take a chance and try the Roche Accu-Chek combo and all in all we love it. The menus are different but after training it was not that different. And no the pump does not have a bolus calculator, but we never bolus from the pump. Just in case the remote were to tare up there are plenty of bolus calc apps for smart phones.

My suggestion to anyone is to see if the pump company offers a trial or 30 day money back guarantee and try they pump yourself.

Roche's customer support has been excellent. They have went above and beyond to help us with questions and concerns.

We also use the dexcom for cgm.

18. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I also believe the pump is made in Switzerland, but don't quote me on it.

19. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Yep, when I wrote this originally I didn't realize it was packaged together.