- advertisement -

Accu-check Mobile -after 3 days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

At our JDRF Walk on Sunday, we saw this meter demonstrated and Amanda really wanted to give it a try. I was able to get her one Monday evening and we've been using it since then.

Let me say that so far not having to deal with strips is fantastic! They are always there, no fumbling at 3am or knocking the whole container on the floor.

The lancer is similar to the Multi-clix with a 6 lancet drum. Of course not the same type of drum. :rolleyes: The lancing device is attached to the side of the meter but can be removed and used independently. We needed to do this the first few times until we were used to the size, shape etc of the meter.

The "strips" are in a cassette similar to a typewriter tape or old audio cassette. Sliding open the bottom cover automatically advances to a new strip & gets the meter ready to take bg reading. The other option is to power the meter on using the button and scroll down the menu.

We lost a couple of "strips" by sliding the bottom cover over when we actually didn't want to do a test. Once primed, even if not used the tape will advance when the meter is again asked to do a test.

We've lost a couple more to an E3 error. The manual states an E3 error is either a bg value too low to read (less than 0.6mmol/11mg/dl) - which was not the case because we double checked with the Freestyle Lite - or a meter error occurred.

I'm sure some of these are user error. It likes a nice round drop of blood. It does not need a lot but it definitely needs to be round and full - not spread over the finger. Also, it doesn't like it if the strip touches the flesh, even with a nice round drop of blood if the tape/strip is pressed to the flesh of the finger tip - E3.

Each cassette has 50 tests. Since Monday evening there are 26 actual BG readings recorded - we now have 3 left. So 21 have been lost to user error/learning curve. Not too impressed with that so far. I'm hoping we've worked out the kinks and will do better with the next cassette we put in.

The other thing I really miss is the strip light we had on the Freestyle Lite. But I can deal with that if we can get over the rest.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good for you for trying a new meter! I am such a creature of habit (and DD is too) we'll probably be using the Aviva until they discontinue its manufacture.. :rolleyes:

3. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Our first cassette was a disaster. We got 25 tests out of it before we got an E-1 - replace cassette error (while we were out and about with no replacement cassette! - so that demonstrated the vulnerability of the cartridge system). Accuchek sent me a new cassette without any issue. We are just using it now for when he goes to the park with his friends so that he doesn't have to drag his D-bag with him. Our Bayer Contour links with his pump and we missed that too much so we are continuing to use that as our main meter.

The shape of the meter is pretty awkward isn't it - but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. I found that because of the location of the lancet it's easier to hold in the left hand and use the index finger to press it down so he was doing all his testing on his right hand. If he has a flat surface to place the meter on then he uses the other hand. I think he will have to grow into this meter.

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Jacky, you are right it is awkward at first -especially for little hands.

My dh can't seem to get the hang of it at all. Hence, he's using the Freestyle Lite for nighttime checks. :rolleyes:

But it was free and with the Circle + program we don't pay anything for the cassettes. It was the first time Amanda has shown any interest in anything different than what we've been doing for the last 2.5 years - so I really wanted to let her have a go at it. :cwds:

5. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Thank you for the great description.

Could you tell me more about the Circle + program?

It would be worth a try if we did not have to pay for the lost measurements from opening the bottom by accident or not enough blood etc. while we got used to it.

How loud is the meter when the next strip on the cassette is rolling out?

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Circle+ is for those using fast acting insulins (Humalog or Novorapid). The meter is free & Accu-Chek will pay up to $7 of the co-pay on the cassettes. The pharmacy has to call into Accu-Check customer service to get the patient registered.

It's not overly loud. It didn't wake my dd up when I was do the night checks. She's a pretty sound sleeper however.

Yesterday we switched back to the Freestyle Lite. I think Amanda was getting frustrated with the E3 errors. She doesn't mind doing a bg check but doesn't want to have to re-do it because of a meter error. Takes too much time away from playing. :cwds:

So we'll maybe try it again in the future and see if we have a better go at it. I really did enjoy not having to deal with test strips.