- advertisement -

Accomodations in testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Oct 12, 2010.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi everyone, Looking for some information from those of you with kids who have been in school for some time. My DD (7yo and in second grade) is having some issues with comprehension and testing in school and I'm wondering if her BS have something to do with it? I understand the correlation but really thought it was something I would see as she got older. Did you start having your child check BS before a regular test in elementry school? Did you see a difference at this young age if you did? If they test right after lunch and when your childs' BS is high, do you have them wait to test? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colleen

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I started adding specific testing accomodation guidelines (a small chart) in third grade. She usually tests before an exam and based on the chart either sits for the test or takes it later.

I think it is a good thing to do since dd doesn't think as well when her BG is out of range. (She doens't see as well and it is hard for her to concentrate.) This accomodation is part of her DMMP (which is part of her 504).

Whenever her BG is too high or too low (regardless of when she has eaten)-- she does not take the test.

Prior to third grade, the tests didn't last long very long and she would just blast through them.

BUT, if I had thought that BG may have impacted her performance on a test (prior to third grade) I would probably have waited until a time at home when she was out of range and then handed her a page of math problems or a sheet of ELA questions and asked her to do them and repeated the test when she was in range--then compared the two. Based on any differences I noticed I probably would have asked for testing accomodations.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Colleen, does your daughter have a 504 plan yet? If not you can ask for one to be drawn up and it can include accomodations for her to test blood sugars before tests. If shes out of range she can then wait until she is in range. High or low blood sugars can cause a great deal of difficulty in comprehension and the ability to reason, both are needed to do well on tests

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have been having A test her bg prior to any test since 2nd grade. The teacher would jot down on the test what her bg was. It was helpful because it gave us an idea of what her bg guidelines should be. We have continued and will continue with the practice.

We have the following for standardized testing:
    If bg is above 250 or below 80, treat and delay testing for an approriate period of time (for lower scale about 20 min, higher about an hour, if not more).

5. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Thank you for the responses. Yes she does have a 504 but I never thought she needed testing accommodations in second grade.

6. angiej

angiej Approved members

I would be very interested to see this chart if you wouldn't mind sharing. My daughter in in Year 4 (which I think is equivalent to third grade??) and testing protocols is starting to need to be thought about.

7. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My daughter is in 5th grade, so a bit older, but before any test (not small quizzes, but any true assessment that will impact her grade significantly, or before standardized testing like the MEAP this week) she is to test, and if she is above 260 she is not to take the test (or if she is below 80, of course). She also has specific accomodations for if she needs to stop part of the way thru and test/treat or stop all together if they can not get her back in range quickly. I think you are smart to get it in place now as at your child's age is when the academics really start to ramp up.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I wouldn't mind a look at your sample chart either. William just started 3rd grade (when they actually get letter grades) and we need to revise our 504 soon.

He has a cgms so ... would it be better for him to write down his cgms number and go by that?

If William is 90 before a test - he will probably go low during it if it is before lunch. What do you do if they are actually taking the test and go low? I guess "test over" and handle the bg? He still goes to the health room to test and treat his lows (our preference but he does carry glucose he can eat immediately if he choses).

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I feel so popular!:D
    Just kidding-- chart is helpful to teachers and to dd.
    I'll locate one from a few years back and pm you both asap.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just good to get the school in the habit now, so it is just another natural part of the testing process.