- advertisement -

***Academic Survey! Please help!***

Discussion in 'Surveys and Studies' started by Hajar, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Hajar

Hajar New Member

Hello everyone!

I hope this posts find you all well. My name is Hajar Abu-Zayed and I am a Biomedical Engineering student at North Carolina State University. I am currently in a senior design course where team projects are assigned to design, build, and deliver a prototype device for an appropriate biomedical engineering project that provides an opportunity for real world engineering design and community outreach. My group and I have an interest in aiding in the field of diabetes. We have received permission from Jeff Hitchcock to post a survey that will help us learn more about diabetes, more specifically hypoglycemia, and what is wanted/needed from patients and care givers. If you could please take the time in filling out the survey, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all so much for your time!

1. Have you or do you know anyone that has experienced hypoglycemia?
    2. Do you worry about experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia?
    3. Do you experience problems with hypoglycemia?
    4. If this is a worry for you, what kind of prevention methods do you take into account? Be specific (devices, alarm systems, finger pricks, etc.)
    5. How often do you check your blood sugar at night?
    6. On a scale from 1 to 10, how inconvenient are these prevention methods? (1-convient, 10-not convenient)
    7. What things would you change about your current prevention methods?
    8. Do you have problems detecting hypoglycemia?

Sincerely,
    Hajar Abu-Zayed
    David Fenwick
    Yash Rasheed
    Spencer Synder
    Frank Wu

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

1. Yes, I frequently experience hypoglycemia.
    2. I don't worry about it, but I do experience nocturnal hypoglycemia, often.
    3. Yes, it sometimes interferes with things I want to do.
    4. I am wearing a Dexcom CGMS and I try to eat to prevent and to mitigate hypoglycemia.
    5. Every night I use the Dexcom; maybe 2 or 3 times per week I use a fingerstick as well.
    6. 4
    7. I'm pretty happy with the way things are, actually. But what I'd really like is to be able to figure out when my food will not digest, before it happens that I've taken insulin for it. I have problems with delayed digestion.
    8. I sometimes cannot feel my hypoglycemia even when my blood sugar is below 30. Other times I can feel it.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, I experience hypoglycemia regularly.

Yes.

Yes. When I feel it, it makes me feel horrible. When I don't feel it, I'm constantly worried about it.

4. If this is a worry for you, what kind of prevention methods do you take into account? Be specific (devices, alarm systems, finger pricks, etc.)
    I wear the continuous glucose monitor which helps to detect lows, which is especially helpful overnight.

Whenever my continuous glucose monitor wakes me up - maybe 4-5 times a week.

6. On a scale from 1 to 10, how inconvenient are these prevention methods? (1-convient, 10-not convenient)

Smaller needle and smaller transmitter to wear on the body, louder alarms, better accuracy, but most importantly I'd love it to be less expensive!

Yes. I was aware of hypoglycaemia when first diagnosed with diabetes, then lost my hypoglycaemic awareness for a time (a couple of years). Now I occassionally detect hypoglycaemia, but more often than not I don't recognise it myself.

4. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

1. Have you or do you know anyone that has experienced hypoglycemia? I have.
    2. Do you worry about experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia? Yes.
    3. Do you experience problems with hypoglycemia? Yes. Mental confusion, eyesight goes dim.
    4. If this is a worry for you, what kind of prevention methods do you take into account? Wear a Dexcom when I have insurance coverage for it. Use the meter to test. make sure my BG is okay when I go to bed, eat something if below 140. Be specific (devices, alarm systems, finger pricks, etc.)
    5. How often do you check your blood sugar at night? Almost every night. I always have to get up to use the bathroom, and I never go back to bed unless I check my BG. Unable to fall back to sleep unless I know what my numbers are.
    6. On a scale from 1 to 10, how inconvenient are these prevention methods? (1-convient, 10-not convenient) 8 - the testing at night.
    7. What things would you change about your current prevention methods? I now use MDI. I wish there was a good software program that will be like a pump and figure out when I put in my settings, and what my BG is and what my carbs I might eat. I wish I could at anytime just hit a button and have it pop up how much insulin is still on board - so that I will know if my BG is good at bedtime, but I still have alot of insulin left to work in my body - will my BG likely go low while I sleep. This would be great for all diabetics to have. Plus there are alot more MDI users out there than pump users, and I am sure a large majority of us would pay for something like this.
    8. Do you have problems detecting hypoglycemia? Yes, I have hypoglycemia unawareness - sometimes the first indication I am low is when my eyesight starts to go and it looks like someone is dimming the lights in the room. Or mental confusion, I mix up my words.

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Yes
    yes, but no too much
    yes, I feel like krap when I'm low and don't do anything right
    if I must correct at night or am having lows at bed time i will check that night. I check my bg atleast 6 times a day
    three times a week on averege
    7-9
    I would get a CGMS
    I normally feel my lows when i'm in the 50's but if I have just woken up i do not feel them at all

6. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

yep, I have.
    yep, because to many experiences waking up in a wrestling match
    sometimes
    I use a dexcom system, but also tend to eat out of fear and test more often at night.
    3 times
    9 all except the dexcom
    wish the alarm were louder on the dexcom and the dog was a bit more reliable.
    yep

7. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Hajar:

Have you or your team considered posting your survey to other diabetic sites as well? You might want to consider it...

1. I have extensive experience with hypos.

2. I do not worry about them. I accept they might occur regardless of very best efforts

3. Hypoglycemia is like a match on an ancient wooden ship. Its a problem if you ignore them.

4. Self discipline and habits of self care; eating often, blood sugar testing at assorted intervals. A fundamental and serious respect for the serious dangers that diabetic hypoglycemia can cause literally at any moment whether conscious (awake) or not.

5. Before bed only. Occasionally if I cannot sleep I may test.

6. 10-not remotely convenient. But like the "chem strips" (urine testing) of childhood they are the best available regardless of how inaccurate they blatently are.

7. The fundamentally self injurious nature of them. The complete inaccuracy of the readings by 20-30% due to design flaws and errors.

8. I only have problems detecting hypoglycemic episodes when and if they occasionally slip past my awareness, and assorted "defensive measures". :rolleyes: Otherwise I catch them quite easily.

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

1. Have you or do you know anyone that has experienced hypoglycemia? I have episodes of hypoglycemia myself (I am not diabetic) and my Type I daughter does as well.
    2. Do you worry about experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia? Yes, for my daughter.
    3. Do you experience problems with hypoglycemia? Yes, for my daughter, at least 3x/week.
    4. If this is a worry for you, what kind of prevention methods do you take into account? Be specific (devices, alarm systems, finger pricks, etc.) Set an alarm to check blood glucose 1-2 x/night if within range (more if not), daughter wears a continuous meter and we put a baby monitor in her room to hear the alarms, we also let her BG run higher than we would normally like at night.
    5. How often do you check your blood sugar at night? A minimum of 1x. Over the past month, we were only able to get one night of only checking once. The remainder of nights have been 2-5 times per night.
    6. On a scale from 1 to 10, how inconvenient are these prevention methods? (1-convient, 10-not convenient) 7
    7. What things would you change about your current prevention methods? Louder and more consistent alarms, more accurate continuous meters.
    8. Do you have problems detecting hypoglycemia? My daughter does not wake with low blood sugars. During the day, she usually (about 80% of the time) recognizes her lows.