- advertisement -

? about day camps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, May 7, 2009.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Luke has never been to a day camp. I have been looking at them this year and found a basketball one he would like. It is 9:00 to 12:00 (in the morning of course ;) . How would I go along asking if they do and would they train somebody to help Luke if he needed it. I am clueless about this kind of stuff. :eek:

2. alismom

alismom Approved members

The athletic camps that we have here, have a trainer on site. Our trainer was not trained in glucagon. We spend some time explaining high/low treatment and trained her in glucagon.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

He's 6, right? I think you would need 2 people to be trained to either help him check or check his bg and then know how to respond to #s. I've had great luck with making sight word type rings with instructions for bg ranges, say 70-80, give 2 tabs, rest, observe, retest in 15 min, etc. It make it very easy to find the info and specifically what to do. I forgot to look and see if he's on a pump or shots. Of course it really depends on what type of camp and who's running it.:rolleyes: We have had pretty good luck with day camps but we also asked to minimum from them and relied on Maddie to be very attentive to how she was feeling.

4. MySweethearts

Thank you both for the info. It is much needed. Yes he is six and on MDI. He can test himself, but needs to be reminded to make sure is finger is clean. He gives himself his shot, but the nurse at school and I at home draw it up (he uses a pen). He know sometimes when he is low. The camp I am looking into is a upward camp that is at our church. My husband thinks I should re-think this, but I am going to see what I can do first. Again, thank you. :)

5. MySweethearts

Okay, I am a dork. The camp is going to be at another church. But anyways.:eek: