- advertisement -

? about basal's

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, Jul 16, 2010.

1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I was at the endo's today for some training on a different CGMS so while there I dropped off Samantha's last 2 weeks of readings..I got a call later that day with some changes to her basal's..now when your Dr makes changes do they take jumps or baby steps...he moved all of afternoon basal's up by .15 is that normal? when ever I do changes on my own I feel comfortable to go up .05 for a day or two and if that doesnt do the trick I add another .05 am I being too cautious? I guess I just like baby steps..lol

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You are more cautious than I am.

When doing a basal test, I go up by .1.

If my son is high all the time, I will go up 50%, which is up by a unit in some cases.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our CDE has run through her basal rates and made changes across the board as well. Usually in the .05 and .10 range but yes, we have done big sweeping changes when the numbers indicate that it's needed. It may be a hormonal tween girl phenomena ;)

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It depends on what the basals start off at. But for example...

If the basal started at say .7 then I would go up or down by .05 BUT If the basal was 1.2 I would change by .1 Does that make sense? I have never changed it by .15

What did she start out at? If it's in the afternoon, you could try it and just test more. I wouldn't do the over night by that much though:cwds:

5. lotsoftots

all of the changed he made were in the evening and night. The night one was the most which to tell you the truth I dont think Im upping it that high..you know baby steps..lol
    at 6pm we have .65 he wants .75
    at 10pm we have .45 he wants .55
    at 2am we have .35 he wants .50...this is the one that bugs me the most!

since June 16th she had a toe infection as soon as that was cleared up she got the ear infection from h*** she was on antibiotics for over month and her numbers were out of control..I faxed the whole time she was sick the nurse only made one change and that was the 2am one she went up from a .30 to .35
    the pass week she has been SLOWLY been getting back into range, in fact the day before perfect numbers for the whole day and night as well as yesterday ..I just dont understand why bigger changes if now she is back in range???? The bad thing is I have an endo appointment next wed and thats the first thing they look at her pump and the settings..

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Trust your gut, you know what's going on better than they do. I would do what you feel, but if it doesn't work. Up it again the next day instead of waiting two:cwds:

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I go up in huge jumps. The endo would have me going in baby steps, but it wouldn't work. My insulin needs fluctuate too rapidly, I just go with my gut.

8. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Just curious - have you seen a gradual rise in her late night and early morning readings? Perhaps the Dawn Effect is raising your DD a lot in the mid-AM hours and the endo is trying to get more basal on board to counter-act it.

9. lotsoftots

Samantha was doing good till she got sick in June after a month of being sick and crazy numbers and not being able to get her well.
    Two weeks ago her numbers were still up there but last week she went kind of back to normal..the pass 4 days she has almost been perfect everyday all day ( I still didnt change her pump) so when he called with the high changes I just didnt feel right so I didnt dop them..instead I came running to you guys :D:D...this is the first time I have ever really questioned any changes she has made

10. mph

mph Approved members

YOU are the parent and the endo works for YOU! If you do not want to make any changes......DON'T!;)

YOU are the one doing the AM checks;)!!!! If you felt hesitation, trust it. If you want to try a basal change, perhaps make the 2am increase in a smaller increment.:cwds:

I'm guessing the endo is trying to head off a dawn phenomena. I find that even a properly placed .05 increase can do the job....but it has to be at the right place. Not easy to do.