- advertisement -

Abbott not honoring Navigator/Sensor returns

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Joe M, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Joe M

Joe M Approved members

Hello folks,

Just got back from my last business trip and wanted to give an update. So far no word from Abbott but interestingly enough an email (to my private email?) from a lawyer who claimed to be gathering information for a potential class action on this very matter. According to this person, the letter that Abbott sends out requests that all unused sensors be returned for a refund (yada yada yada) and that the letter constitutes a binding contract in various states. Well I'm not a lawyer and have never been a litigious person but if the lawyers are sniffing out Navigator users with similar problems, I'm thinking someone at Abbott screwed up. Regardless, I've blocked this guy from sending me email. I'll continue in hopes that Abbott will honor their offer.

And don't worry folks, even if Abbott had to pay out millions of dollars in a class action, it won't halt development of their CGM. They have to produce competing products so as not to loose market share in CGM's and the test strips they use. If anything, it would ensure a boost in quality and supply to prevent future actions.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My letter from Abbott only mention returning sensors. It did not use the wording expired sensors anywhere. Although they took mine back I was unsure they would.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Perhaps the guy was able to email you through your CWD account as you have it set so that someone can send you an email (though it doesn't show the sender your email address - I can tell this cause I clicked on your name and it says I can email you or PM you). I would guess that is one way a lawyer could have found out that you might be interested and sent you an unsolicited email - he would have to be a member of CWD first though. (you could report it to the admin here if you think that is what happened)

Thanks for the update on your situation - let us know what happens.

4. Joe M

Joe M Approved members

Hey Carol,

Yeah, My letter words it as "return your unused sensors"

Joe

5. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Joe,

As you know, you and I have a difference of opinion on this. We just need to agree to disagree on this. But, I do have an Abbott contact that I have passed on to members of this board. I got both of my sons refunds within days after contacting this man. Let me know if you want it, it may be your best option.

And I hope the bickering on this post between everyone is done. We will not agree on this subject no matter how long we beat the dead horse! :eek::p

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I hadn't read completely through this thread before now. Abbott phoned me yesterday and said that they won't refund the money for the 4 expired sensors. I simply said okay. If the next version ends up being significantly better, we'll try it.

7. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

The receipt was PROBABLY the "list price". Insurance companies have negotiated prices for most items. My Medicaid policy won't even tell me what they [ay for any of my items (HUSH HUSH BIG SECRET!!)
    I requested alochol wipes, and was sent an antibiotic wipe instead, at a listed cost of $33.00. i called the DME, and said to take them back. But I really don't know how much my ins would have paid if I had kept the product.

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

That's so shady of them to change the rules along the way. I receive a refund for 5 expired sensors a couple of weeks ago.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this situation was the cause of no longer refuding expired sensors. :(

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree - seems unfair. I find it hard to believe Joe is the first person to try to return more than a box of expired sensors though since the deal has been around for 6 months or so.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I don't think Joe is the issue here.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I find it hard that Joe is the issue.. I'm sure Abbott is just now figuring out what they should have done in the first place, and that was to set guidlines on what they would and wouldn't take back.

13. timsma

timsma Approved members

I know at one time Dex offered a discount price for those with nonworking Navigators. I didn't get in on that deal cuz Tim's broke after that was over.

But, I did pay out of pocket (with the money from Navigator) for the Dexcom on July 29th of this year and my Discover card was billed $999.00 and it included the system and 4 sensors. But, I THINK that the $999.00 was the same as the 'discounted' price that some paid when the offer was first out there from Dexcom. Guess I got a better deal than what I was initially told from Dexcom on the phone when I ordered it! I THINK they told me it would be about $1200.00.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also paid OOP for another Navigator that was not being used at the time from a family. This one lasted about a month before the screen turned all blue and yellow. It was not due to anything we did wrong with it though. It still sits here on my shelf. While the receiver is unreadable, the transmitter I'm sure still works.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010