- advertisement -

Abbott discontinues Navigator in US (Aug 2011)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Jeff, Aug 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/a.../general_content/General_Content_0000422.html

Dear Patients:
    As you may be aware, Abbott Diabetes Care has been experiencing a supply interruption in the United States with the FreeStyle Navigator? Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. This interruption has affected our ability to provide U.S. patients with new system kits or warranty replacement components.

We are committed to producing high quality, safe and effective products and to providing the best possible customer service. When we bring a product to market, it is our responsibility to consistently provide the product to customers. In the U.S. we have not been able to consistently supply the Freestyle Navigator System to patients.

As a result, Abbott is permanently discontinuing the FreeStyle Navigator System in the U.S. We understand this decision may affect how some patients manage their blood glucose and we have several options available to help FreeStyle Navigator System patients in the U.S. transition to alternative glucose monitoring technologies.

The discontinuation of the FreeStyle Navigator System in the U.S. is not for safety reasons. The System is safe and effective and continues to be available to patients in seven other markets outside the U.S. No other Abbott Diabetes Care or FreeStyle products are affected by this discontinuation.

The discontinuation of the FreeStyle Navigator System in the U.S. will be conducted in an orderly manner and Abbott will provide U.S. customers with options available through March 2012 that can help with the transition to alternative products. Customers who wish to learn about the available options should contact Abbott Diabetes Care customer service at 1- 800-221-7700 for assistance.

We know FreeStyle Navigator System customers in the U.S. have lived with some uncertainty and frustration. We are grateful for the commitment patients and providers have devoted to the FreeStyle Navigator System over the years, and we are sorry that we have been unable to consistently meet their needs.

ADC remains committed to glucose monitoring and to developing other highly innovative glucose monitoring products based on the sensing technology that is at the heart of the FreeStyle Navigator System.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Daggone it. While I'm not surprised, I'm quite disappointed. This is the only one that gives us the range that we want for Emma a night. I guess I should call about the rebate since I don't want to use it until it breaks AFTER this date and then get nothing (although could probably get insurance to cover it at that point)

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm on the phone with them - there is no rebate like before.

However they will pay your "out of pocket costs" for purchasing a new system. I assume if I go out and buy a Dex and it is $1000 and I send them a receipt they will pay for it. This is the scenario I suggested and they agreed this is what would be done.

They are offering $150 for each sensor that you send back that is unexpired. I have 10 and they were good with that (I just got a box last week actually).

I'm sorry to see it go but I'm glad they finally decided something.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Carol: Do you have to send your old one back, like under the rebate plan?

If not, I may go ahead and proceed - send a few of my non-expired sensors back and keep the expired ones and use it as long as I can (I've only been using it sporadically right now anyway)

5. selketine

Yes - you do have to send the old one back. They are sending me a postage paid label and I'm supposed to send the unit back along with the sensors - all in one package.

I would prefer the $2000 they were offering but I'll take what I can get. William has been talking about wanting a Dexcom like his diabetes heroes (Wendy and Heidi) so I think he will be thrilled - LOL!

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, that's just not unexpected at all. I mean, they were pretty much telling people "here take the money, go use another CGM from another company." To me, that wasn't a company that ever had any intention of selling here again. Sad, because I know you all loved the navs (and I'm not without a lot of sympathy as a former Cozmo user. It's hard when a product that you think is the best product is no longer available.)

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd still love to know what really happened here. It's hard for me to understand how they have a "supply interruption" when they have plenty of parts (made in the U.S., I believe) for their overseas units.

I think it SUCKS that they kept their users in the dark for so long. Just inexcusable.

8. selketine

William has been wanting a Dex for awhile (the grass is always greener....) so this was the nudge we needed to move over I guess. I've already called the pedi endo and she is putting in the referral for the sensors and writing me a script so I can buy the Dex OOP and send the bill to Abbott.

After 18 months without being able to have a broken item replaced I honestly cannot imagine getting real customer service! Of course I hope nothing breaks but what a relief if it did!

Dexcom should send Abbott some flowers to thank them for all of the business they have sent their way....LOL!

9. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

I am trying to find out with Blue Cross if they will continue to cover my sensors if I get them shipped monthly from Israel.

If not, and since I've been out of touch with non-Nav stuff for a while, what's better these days? Dex or Guardian? have they resolved the "???" issue with the Dex, and it's apparent inability to continue getting readings when one is asleep? (the main issues I had with the Seven).

10. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

This is a classic example of a "No sh-t, Sherlock" moment. Seriously. If anyone is surprised by this announcement, I'd be surprised by that more than the discontinuation.

As others have noted, this has been the clear writing on the wall since the early "supply interruption" days and Abbott offering rebates.

Honestly, I find it quite ridiculous that Abbott has left people in the dark while continuing to claim it could re-start Nav distribution. Completely illustrates a company living in denial without a clue on how to run that part of a business, further proving how this all happened in the first place.

This really really REALLY should not be a surprise to ANYONE. It's a shame that the Nav was such a good product, but at least there's hope that the technology can be used in the future on other things.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My son's timing was perfect then. He just sent his back today with the letter stating that he will get the 2 grand. I am not at all surprised at this announcement and the fact that they still aren't spilling the beans. If it were not for the Omnipod I would be changing strips also. My son will be. He is ticked at Abbott big time for stringing people along like they have.
    I feel as if they did us a favor, much like I felt with the Cozmo when it made me take the chance on the Omnipod. I wouldn't go back to the Navigator, but my son isn't having good luck with the Dex. They want him to put in a new sensor and see if he still gets out of range all of the time. If he does, they will replace something, haven't said what yet. He is less than a week into it.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wonder if his transmitter is bad. I heard when the transmitter battery is starting to go out you get a lot of out of range. Our transmitter though lasted over two years and counting.

13. Don

Don Approved members

"Supply interruptions" is an unconvincing and incomplete answer. Maybe Abbott failed to negotiate timely contracts with their suppliers or the vendors came under fire by the FDA for not meeting their standards? These standards are not required abroad, so they decided to pull a best in class product from the US market? Hmm... no thanks to the FDA and Abbott, too, for leaving so many in suspense for so long. :(

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

To bad they couldn't be upfront with their customers from the start.

15. zatff

zatff Approved members

When Smith Medical stopped selling their Cozmo pump in 2009 when it was best pump on the market IMO they decided to exit from the diabetes supply business, at least in the USA. Abbott might be doing the same thing but may continue sales abroad for Navigator for awhile to try recoup some of their investment but those will probably cease soon too. Both used the Freestyle test strips.

The lack of competition for products we can use hurts us consumers but there is little we can do about it I guess. The little companies tend to get bought ought and taken over by bigger ones and our choices become less and less.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Abbott wasn't the manfacturer of Cozmo. Smiths Medical was.

17. zatff

zatff Approved members

True but they were both (Navigator and Cozmonitor) using the Freestyle test strips and both companies exited the market so we have less competition and choice of products. Unfortunately high legal costs to defend their patents against the market leader probably kept them from making any profit with a smaller market share.

We need more competition and choices, not less.

18. selketine

Someone directed me to a post here: http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/freestylenavigatorusers - down near the bottom that says:

I was never asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement and I'm annoyed enough now to come out with the little bit I do know from people inside Abbott. Essentially, when Freestyle bought Therasense, they didn't actually buy the rights to manufacture Navigator under the Freestyle brand. So everything went into a giant clusterfluff while they try to sort out the red tape. It has nothing to do with problems with the equipment or safety or anything like that. Just stupid paperwork nonsense.

So if this is true it had nothing to do with the FDA holding them back. I could never see where the problem was the FDA for them at least.

19. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

THAT would make sense. Finally. It fits everything, too.

Thank you for sharing that.

I also got news via the Israeli Abbott folks about the announcement... if I understood correctly, it does not necessarily relate to v1.5. It was purposefully left vague. All Abbott is apparently saying now is that they will no longer support the US market but the invisible small print should add "for the v1.0 system" (which has been obsolete for a while anyway).

I was hesitant to share that (I got that bit last week) because I couldn't explain how that makes sense in the bigger context. With your post it makes more sense; they might still be hoping to bring v1.5 back into the US market, under a different name, but must close down all appearances of selling a "Freestyle" Navigator. And that would entail a lot of FDA paperwork, too.

Personally, I would love for this technology to not die. I am trying to figure out some way to stick with it for another 6-12 months, and also starting an appeals process to get special approval from BC to reimburse me for sensors acquired oversees. We shall see, we shall see....

20. selketine

Stranger things have happened I guess - you really never know.

I forgot to include that the quote was from someone who formerly worked at Abbott. I think she is also a cgms user - and frustrated about the Nav.

I hope someone takes the technology and uses it - the navigator is excellent at being accurate.