- advertisement -

a1cs?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by diabemmmily, Oct 8, 2009.

1. diabemmmily

diabemmmily New Member

ive been diabetic for 5 years and i went to my endo a few weeks ago, where my a1c was 8.3 which is extremely good for me, and he said i STILL can't get the pump. i have friends from camp who got their pump when they were higher than 8.3 but my doctor says i have to have it under 8, and my next appt isnt until the end of january! i don't think i can wait that long!!

so i was just wondering what everyones a1cs were when they were put on the pump??

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

First of all I want to say "hi" and welcome to cwd. My name is Rae. I'm 18 and have had diabetes for 11 years. I am open to any questions or if you ever just need to talk just send me a message.

I think that is silly of your endo to say you have to have control before giving you the pump. The pump is a device to help you get better control. If I were you I would ask my parents about possibly finding a new endo.

I was ten when I started pumping. A month prior to the pump start my A1C was 8.9 (yikes). Three months after starting on the pump my A1C was 7.0. Pumping definitely helped me get better control. I didn't have such dramatic swings in my bg. Basal rates allowed us to adjust the insulin to fit what I needed at specific times.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Hi! I'm Emily, I was diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago. I just an endo appt today actually, and my a1c is 7.3 now, and I believe it was around that when I started pumping. It was down in the mid 6's for awhile after I started pumping, but then those lovely hormones kicked in, and I'm working on getting it down. If 8.3 is good for you, then congrats on working to get it there!!! I see no reason why you can't be pumping...I started 6 months post-diagnosis. It will help you get to whatever the target is that your endo wants you to get to. Good luck!!

--Emily

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My A1C was 7.8 when I got on the pump, and had come down to 6.4 after 4 months of pumping. Sadly it's been going up and up from there, for multiple reasons. BUT, it would be much higher if I was still on shots.

5. Leah

Leah Approved members

Hi, i'm Leah

Before i was put on the pump my A1C was around the the high 7's. Now it's 5.2

It really helped!:)

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

My a1c before the pump was in the 5s I know that. It went up immediately after, then down, then back up to 6.6 (where it is was in July).

7. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

When I started pumping last November my a1c is 8.3 and a couple of months later it was down to 6.1:)

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

That is so ridiculous! I don't get the logic behind it. One of the reasons to start the pump in the first place is for improved control. Could you go to your endo with lots of studies and research showing the benefits of pumping on bg control? Personally though I wouldn't bother and would find a new endo ASAP. Good luck :cwds:

9. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i was 12 years old and 7.6 when i started. my endo had a thing that you had to have had D for at least a year before you started on the pump. the thing is, you have to be able to carb count really well before you can start, and you also need some control over your D before you get a pump because you have only short acting insulin and so if you mess something up you can go from 100 to 300 or 400 in a few short hours on the pump. it depends on the person, i'm sure some have gone down after starting on a pump, i had a A1C of 7.6 three months later but then i jumped to....8.3? something like that, after 6 months on the pump.
    how long have you had D? that might be another reason s/he wants to wait.

10. mustangamanda8

mustangamanda8 Approved members

Hey, my a1c was at like 10 when i got the pump, its suposed to give you better control, so why would they wait for you to have tight control with shots when you would have to just change it up with the pump:confused:

11. techman93

techman93 Approved members

My last A1C was in September, which was 7.2 i believe. That's weird that your doctor won't let you get a pump because your A1C is above 8.0 that was actually the reason why i got the pump, my numbers were terrible and my A1C was 7.8 or 8.1. somewhere in that range. but you should talk to your doctor about that issue. feel free to PM me if you have any questions.