- advertisement -

A1C

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tricia22, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I have been off my pump for about 6 months now - was on OmniPod and was having MANY pod failures at work, mainly I suspect from static (dry hospital air + linens, etc.). I also moved to my current city back in July and until about a month ago, had not found an endocrinologist I was willing to try to get in to see... Heard HORRIBLE things about the docs at one hospital, the hospital I work at has very few, and they're either ancient or not board certified in endocrinology, and the third local hospital group I have heard good, bad, and ugly about, and the one I had heard the best things about was about an hour away!
    Ok, enough excuses. I now have an appt. with an endo that I am very hopeful about liking and working well with. I am also planning on getting going again with my cyborg-ness... both my Dexcom and my Animas Ping pump.
    So... I just did an at home A1C to prepare myself for what's likely at the appt. I know my numbers haven't been the best, but my A1C actually went up 1.4 points from the last time I had it done when things were going SUPER well. It's the worst number I have had in probably 5 years or so. I'm not happy.
    I know I can improve it, I know there are some very easy things I can do to get back on track, but I'm so pissed at myself seeing that number that popped up.
    Any words of encouragement or advice on how to get back on track after a bit of burn-out would be greatly appreciated.
    I know that there were a few things that contributed to the less than stellar A1C... not pumping, not Dex-ing... getting those back up and running as soon as I see this new endo. and get new prescriptions for supplies. Also, moved to a new city where I knew no one, started a new job, STRESS! I'm now settled into the job, loving it, and missing my family and friends, but loving where I live, so that's better...
    I have also lost a bunch of weight since July - between 30 and 35 pounds... LESS INSULIN!! WOO!!
    Working night shifts is also hard on the numbers, but it's settled down a TON since I had started it up again in July...
    Oh man... sorry for rambling, I'm just feeling defeated and ready to start fresh again this month when I see the doc again.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I did a bayer a1c kit at my pharmacy because they had free demos. The result on the a1c kit was 2 points higher than my blood draw that was drawn the same day, and reported back to me a week later

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd forget about the A1c. Focus on what's going well and celebrate yourself for the positive :cwds:

Maybe you can take it one thing at a time - get the dex perhaps and them move back to pumping or vise versa - maybe you don't want or need to "cyborg" all at once? And maybe if your doc is just a script and A1c provider (and aren't most of them?) then who cares if they are board certified? Just pick the one who will be most accommodating and convenient. You know at this point the endo isn't likely to add much value.

You're doing great.;) Let the season inspire you to a fresh start and seriously, that A1c is yesterday's news... let it go:cool:

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't really have any advice but I just wanted you to know I was feeling like it sounds like you are a few weeks ago after getting yet another high A1C. I was really devastated for maybe a week but I picked a few things to change (switch to humalog and try symlin) and it has made me feel a bit more in control-- though so far the symlin is a disaster :rolleyes:

Also, I know the night shifts can suck. Not sure what your schedule is like but I work 2 nights a week 11-8 and then one night 11-11. Then the next week is all day shifts. And I had to quite using the omnipod because the stupid sheets in the bunkroom are insanely staticy (though we do have memory foam mattresses that I adore :)). I bet once you get pumping again and can do temp basals that will make that a lot easier. Temp basals are really the only way I survive night shifts. I really think anyone who works night shifts as a nurse and has diabetes is amazing. I usually get at least 3 hours of sleep on night shifts but I would imagine you get none!

I would say I am still in some sort of rut with diabetes and school and life in general. I guess what I am trying to say is that you are not alone :cwds:
    Honestly, I kind of view right now as if, if I am getting through the day it is a good thing. Things that help me are being honest with my close friends and boyfriend that I am having a tough time, running (not great for my bg but helps a ton emotionally), just getting off campus for a change of scene, and looking at pictures of my dogs who are back home.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What I tell myself everytime my blood sugar or A1c is higher than I was hoping is:

It's way better it would have been if I hadn't been putting in effort. Yes, that blood sugar was 270 or that A1c was not "controlled". But if I had left it to my body and done no shots for just one day, my meter wouldn't register the number, and while I don't know what the A1c would be without a lot of effort, I do know that when I was diagnosed, it was above 16%.
    So I did a great job. I made it way better. Way way way better. My efforts may not have achieved the results I was hoping for but I did good anyways.

With a particular number sometimes I figure, okay, it's 270, I guess if I hadn't done that correction, it would have hit 330! Near miss of the 300s, good job me.

I think framing it that way is helpful for me.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I have this quote on my insulin pump for this very reason, "Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Take one day at a time. My a1C whent up an entire point this last check for me, too. I was disappointed, but I can't change it now. I can hope to improve the next one, too.

I just remind myself about the small efforts, and hope for a bigger reward. Although, doesn't always go that way!