- advertisement -

a1c without bloodtest?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GinaB, Jun 30, 2009.

1. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

The last two endo appointments we had the doctor told us his a1c but never did a bloodtest. Can they get that number from the blood on a finger prick? I am wondering if they are just averaging the meter readings. Do you normally have a real bloodtest to get the a1c?

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

At our appointments, the A1C is always done within the diabetes clinic with a fingerpoke. They have some sort of machine that tests the blood this way and spits out a printout with the A1C result and graph. Between clinic appointments we do the test as a typical blood test - but this is because they don't have the fancy machine to do the on-site test, the blood is sent to the lab.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb gets his A1C checked with a fingerprick. A special device is used. If they pricked his finger and used a little plastic thing to suck up the blood it could have been his A1C check.

4. carrie1berrie2

carrie1berrie2 Approved members

Ours is also done with a finger prick at the endos office with that fancy machine

5. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

Due to my insurance, Caleb can't get his A1c draw at the lab that's located in the hospital that his endo is in. We have to use our local hospital a week before his next appointment and have them fax the results to his endo. Kind of a pain, but it saves us a 2 hour trip just to get the blood drawn for it and then have to go back a week later.

6. Angelica

Angelica Approved members

My insurance does not cover it either but our endo charges $25 to do it. That seems worth it to me since it saves the trauma of drawing blood from her arm.:rolleyes:

7. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor always gets his A1C checked with a finger prick at the endo's office. They have a fancy machine that does it.
    Our pediatrician can also do an in office a1c with a slightly simpler machine than the one the endo has. He runs one for us sometimes between endo appts if Connor is sick and he just wants to get a better idea of what has been going on with his blood sugars.

8. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Thanks for all the responses. That is great to know they can do it with the finger check!

9. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

You can also purchase an OTC an a1c test. I have found them at Wal-Mart in their pharmacy department.

10. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I know that Deacon has always gotten a finger stick for his A1c.

--Sara

11. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

The ability to do the a1c by fingerstick was one (of several) reasons that we changed endos a few years ago. Blood draws were very traumatic for my 3 year old. They always did them at the END of the visit, and then he would have the nerve to comment on how timid and nervous she was. HELLO - SHE'S NOT STUPID. SHE KNOWS WHAT IS COMING.

Wow, still a bit of pent-up hostility:D

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our endo does not have the fingerstick A1c machine, so we do the home A1c tests.

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Fingerstick A1c test during routine endo appointments for Tyler. The lab tech even uses Tylers lancing device to do it (no stress and no pain):D

14. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Ditto for us. She gets to use her beloved Multiclix instead of the flesh eating pokers the lab has!! :D

15. Rtolman

Rtolman New Member

That's what my Doctor's nurse uses when it needs to be checked.:cool::p

16. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

just got back from the endo today. They did a really easy finger check and his A1C was 7.6. We're definately moving in the right direction!

17. mamort

mamort Approved members

We have gotten are A1c readings from a finger stick in the office also. I also think its less traumatic then a blood draw.