- advertisement -

A1C results question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jun 21, 2012.

1. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I recently found out that in the next year or so Phillip will have to start having blood draws for a1c. Apparently its standard practice for adults at our clinic and he starts transitioning to the adult clinic from 16. I'm not sure if this is what is done in other clinics in NZ though. Any Kiwis with older kids here know?

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hey Stacie

Tyler just had his first adult clinic here in Auckland at North Shore Hospital and the A1c was done on the machine...no blood draw:D

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Maybe midcentral will change things in the next year then Deb. They just started using the new a1c results last month.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our A1c machine was fundraised for "paediatrics" in Taranaki - after that you get blood tests.

5. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

"... the numbers are typically 90-100 throughout the day... his graph is almost always a straight line, 24 hours a day and it is usually 90-100..."

What's your secret? I'm super jealous. We're still trying to get 1 stable day of decent BGs!

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

my husband has his bloodwork done via lab draw every 3 months. Isaac could, but we choose not to...actually after two years of visits every three months with great A1C's and not much actual info from the endo we have switched (with her okay) to appts every 6 months and A1C done with lab draw unless otherwise deemed necessary. Our endo isn't covered 100% by our insurance, however as she is the endo he would be seen by if he ever needed to go to the children's hospital we make sure we stick with her. Additionally, she is a good fit for our fam as she doesn't think the A1C is overly important. She'll look over his BG info via email and analyze that way. However, on a random note Isaac doesn't mind lab draws at all, some kids don't and I think it helps that we don't make a big deal out of when it is done for either himself or one of us - we are very scientific and analytical about it all, for him that works. :)

I think, back to original post, that it is nice to be validated in what you know is true - but there is also an amount of faith and knowledge that needs to be there in knowing that sometimes labwork is off, it can be repeated and then we just move on knowing that we did all we could at that moment. I am sure the NP will have a little retraining to do and hopefully spare another family from an overly long appt :)

7. belasmom

belasmom New Member

I am glad to see others have the same problem with the visits as I do. I feel as though I am being called a liar when her ac1 results are higher then what the meter tells me. I call every week report the B/S, and all they do is tell me how great they look don't change anything your doing, and then i go to the visit and they i am told she is not doing as well as thought. They make it out like i am not doing my job. When clearly I'm doing what I need to, and the nurses are not and I say I do call every week, she kind of looks at me as though I am lying. I always leave the visits in tears cause I do everything under the moon for my child.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you are doing everything you feel you can be doing, then you should not let what her Endo says effect you enough to bring you to tears. Ask yourself why their opinion is so important to you.

Maybe you could also remind them that the meter numbers are just a snapshot in time, and that the A1c reflects what is going on more consistently. So if you check 4 times in a day, and each check is in range, your meter average is going to look in range for that day. However, if the rest of the time during the day her bg is out of range, then you will not see that but it will be reflected in her A1c.

Bottom line, you live and deal with this every day and are doing your best. Don't let anyone, friends, family, Endo, make you feel bad about it.

9. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I have been away on vacation and just got back to this thread and thought I should add... I was happy that the first test result was incorrect. I didn't give the original nurse a big smooch though. Afterall, we have a VERY long visit discussing how we can remedy this a1c and the np wanting to help us to decipher what changes have occurred since last time. It was a bit frustrating. Glad about the results being what I expected and just a bit overwhelmed by the visit that had no bearing on our actual needs. We are fine though... all's well that ends well, of course.

10. momof2here

Please don't be jealous... I have enjoyed taking an analytical approach to the situation. I just look faithfully at his cgm, check regularly to make sure that the cgm is mimicking the results of actual fingersticks and react. His bg with pre-bolusing stays pretty consistent most of the time. When he gets a real growth spurt, of course, we see more of a hilly graph but then just adjust and move on. I think it is something that I have just gotten accustomed to doing and reacting to and it has become very second nature. I think the consistency is the healthiest part about it and that is what I really try to shoot for - stable blood sugars, within range.

11. momof2here

Same to you Floridamom and thanks ;)

A sunny disposition straight from the Sunshine State...

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Even with this level of engagement most Type 1s do not see numbers in such a narrow range.

You can and should pat yourself on the back, but maybe too count your lucky stars for either a long honeymoon or an atypical case.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am glad that it is so easy for you. For most of us, it is not. But that is not to say that we don't all shoot for stable blood sugars that are within range. We are all doing the best we can do. The reality is that your situation is not typical and I just don't want new posters that may read this to think that they are doing something wrong.

Congrats on your success!

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, personally I never look at my CGM, check that it is accurate or pre-bolus. Guess I should start doing those things. ;)

(For the record, internet, that was sarcasm. I do all of the above and my a1C is still 8 freaking percent.)