- advertisement -

A1C results question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jun 21, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Guess we never honeymooned then, because I can't fathom being disappointed by a 6.5.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Me either. And if the parent wants to spend their time being disappointed fine, go for it. But children take their cues from parents, even subtle cues, and my concern would be the impact that disappointment would have on the child.

Not saying that is the case with LoveMyHounds, just sayin`.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Thank you for saying this. My son is 13 and we would LOVE to see a 6.5 A1C - puberty is a real pain in the arse. ;)

4. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

To the OP - you are entitled to your feelings! Have a great day. :)

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son does an at home a1c test before his endo visits. They have always been very accurate for us (in comparison to the doctor's office results-usually a finger stick a1c). I do think I would want a retest if the a1c results came back much higher than what I expected.

My son has had low end a1cs since dx...I can see how someone might feel disappointed by a surprising a1c result...especially if a strong honeymoon has skewed "normal". I initially had "maybe the doctors are wrong" thoughts when my son would have an a1c in the 5s. :cwds:Even though I knew he had antibodies etc, there was that "what if" voice in my head. When in that mindset, having a 6 + a1c pop up is a slap of reality...even though it is still a wonderful a1c, I kind of mourned the end of the 5s.

ETA: Having a poker face is a MUST when you have a CWD:)

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We had a slightly higher than expected A1C in February, but the nurse practitioner looked at the logs and data and did not suggest any big changes. When we saw the endo in April, the test was more in line with what we expected and she dismissed the higher test result - she said the margin of error was plus or minus .5.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad they finally retested. I don't think I would have thought to do a third test either. I would hope that they follow through and speak to the nurse who obviously was careless in the testing and could give a hoot about it being so far off.

Also, we use freestyle products and our A1c's have been off for the past year or so.. higher than I expect, way higher. It gets really frustrating!

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

has anyone had a blood transfusion than had the A1C be off. I heard that the donated blood would affect on the person's A1C anyone know about that? Ashleigh will be having major surgery (spinal fusion) sometime this fall or winter. I've asked my husband to donate the blood if she needs a transfusion. I'd feel more comfortable her getting blood from her father than some stranger.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

:confused: I don't see anyone here saying she wasn't entitled to her feelings. :confused:

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If she gets blood donated, her hemoglobin will be replaced with the hemoglobin of the donor, and hence it will have a different amount of glucose attached (less, assuming dad is non-D) than her own does. If, theoretically, all of the blood in one's body was replaced with that of somebody else's, their a1C right after would reflect that of the donor. Of course in practice it is a comparatively small amount of blood which is replaced, but it will still skew the result for 2-3 months.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

DON'T DO THIS.
    After a person gets blood from a specific donor, they often develop antibodies to that person's blood. And years later, if she needs a transplant, your husband would not be able to give it.
    I read a book by a guy whose daughter needed a kidney transplant. His wife would have been happy to give it... but couldn't, because she had earlier given blood to her daughter, and her daughter had developed antibodies.
    In general, having received blood from somebody means in the future you will not be able to get a transplant from them. So your husband should not donate blood to your daughter unless he wouldn't be allowed or wouldn't want to donate a kidney to her if she needed one.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

This is a really good reason not to ask for a third test since they appeared to have known they had a mix up.

Generally speaking, from my experience testing tons of stuff in laboratories, if you get two differing results you shouldn't assume either is correct until a third test is done - assuming no other factors like a known mistake.

Same goes for BG meters in my opinion.

Same story as previously posted when our A1c was off I retested BG in the exam room with my meter and two of theirs making sure that their two were different companies. In our case all three BGs were practically identical so I don't suspect the Freestyle technology - I think it's something else.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

We do a blood draw every three months. Is that unusual?

14. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We use freestyle products and DS's a1cs have been a little lower than I've expected for the last year or so.
    I think anything like bg tests or a1c tests can have a margin of error. Don't know how much it is with a1cs but I doubt they're completely perfect.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think most endos now have a finger poke A1C machine. Ours does not, but since I refuse to do a blood draw every three months, we do home A1Cs unless it's time for our annual blood work.

16. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I've never heard anything like this. I'll have to discuss it with her orthopedic surgeon and endocrinologist and see what they think. I just thought of my husband because they are both O+. I'm A+, so can't donate to her. That and i wanted someone i knew didn't have high BS.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

Once a year for us and all A1cs are finger stick. I tend to believe that most people only do blood work once per year unless there are other parameters that are being monitored. That belief is completely based on almost no evidence other than what has been mentioned in other threads here over time.

18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

All I have to say is holy moley...will you be my kid's mom??:p:p:p

VERY impressive!

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Comprehensive blood work here annually, A1C by blood draw quarterly.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

Blood work annually for us, A1C by finger poke/machine every 3 months.