- advertisement -

A weird story!!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by flabby_abi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

Ok, well i have a weird story and i would like y'all to tell me what you think!

So... i have a diabetic alert dog (Darcy). And last night we were at church (me and Darcy) and he alerted on my best friend who is NOT diabetic!!! it was sooo weird!! But, Darcy is NEVER wrong so we decided to check her BG! and it was 148!!!!!!!! this was 3hrs after her supper?????!!!!??? so i told her to do a fasting BG check and her fasting BG was 157!!!!! she has checked numerous times now and her BG has never been below 126! this is so weird and i dont even know what to think!

She is 18 and she is not over-weight. what do yall think could be going on???? any suggestions???

2. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

It's possible she could have type 1. A non-diabetic's fasting BG should be from 70 - 120, from what I've heard.

3. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

1. Maybe she has type 1 diabetes and is asymptomatic since it's getting caught very early.

2. Maybe she needs to wash her hands. ;)

People don't often start having the typical textbook diabetes symptoms until their blood sugar is 300+, so she could be developing the early onset of diabetes and would have no idea if it wasn't for your dog.

Get her to test her blood sugar with your meter again in a few days and see what happens then.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Meter inaccuracy. My brother tests in the upper 100s as well as below 60, and he is skinny, 16, and antibody negative.

5. flabby_abi

thanks guys.
    we did wash her hands and i do not believe it is a inaccurate meter as she has now tested on 3 different meters. this morning (7am) she was 140 (fasting). she has not had anything to eat since yesturday at about 5:30 pm and she is now 106. still a little high, right?
    thanks again... we will continue to test her.

6. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

That's a wild story. Let us know how it all turns out. And where did you get that wonderful dog???

7. flabby_abi

i will let you know what happens! she had another bad BG and she scheduled a doctor appointment for tomorow. they are going to draw some blood, test for D antibodies, and check A1C. so i will let you know how those tests come back.

But as for my amazing dog (;))...... i acctually trained him myself with LOTS of help from a incredible organization called "Pawsibilities Unleashed Pet Therapy" ( www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org ). Liz Norris has guided me every step of the way and has helped me know what to do.

Darcy is amazing. He alerts me when i am in the 90's dropping. and when i am 160-170 for highs. he is absolutely incredible!

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Those dogs are amazing! I met a family this past weekend (Triabetes event at IronMan) who has one. They have 2 T1D boys and absolutely love their dog. The dog is virtually unoticed unless someone is low.

9. BozziesMom

That's pretty awesome that he alerted on her. Glad she is having it checked out. And thanks for the info! I'll have to check into that.

10. BozziesMom

How do the dogs alert?

11. sar

sar Approved members

it'd be awesome to have an alert dog! now i want one. :cwds: we already have five pets though, and they're all jealous of eachother because others get more attention.. so another dog might be a bad idea. maybe when i go into college, though!

and for your dog, i'd say maybe you should take it to the vet, just to check. or if you're going to the vet soon, ask them about it. or check him/her in a different spot?

12. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

It could possibley be MODY where she is not over weight.

13. flabby_abi

MY dog alerts by jumping on my knees and licking my face. then he runs to my mom and to my dad and does the same to them. but you can train the dog to do just about anything for the alert. One family's dog brings the meter when the little girl is high, the glucose tablets when she is low, and the ketone strip when she has ketones!!! it is absolutely amazing!

can someone tell me what "MODY" is?

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

MODY is like taking T1 and T2, busting them like eggs, and stirring them up in a mixing bowl, you result is MODY.

15. flabby_abi

haha. so can you tell me more? how are you dxd with MODY? what is the difference between MODY and T1?????

16. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Now I'm a little confused for that part, Kier or Jess will have to fill you in as far as that question goes.

17. flabby_abi

hehe! ok... thanks.

18. Mody_Jess_Pony

MODY is dxed by gene testing. It's 500 dollars a gene and some insurence companies will cover it. The insentive for doing this is MOST people with MODY will respond well to sulfa based pills. Exactly what was said only mixing type 1 and type 2 into one and adding and insane insulin sensitivity :)
    I have MODY :)
    MODY stands for Mature Onset Diabetes of the youth

19. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Holy crap.

20. Mody_Jess_Pony

Can I say do not pursue without insurence?
    Or you could pick a gene and make a gamble. If you where to do that I'd say go with MODY 3 most common form of MODY