- advertisement -

A vent but also a plea for help--can't figure this out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

Hello folks. Today was supposed to be a super exciting day. We are taking the kids to Legoland. It is what they've wanted to do for their combined birthdays for this year and they've been waiting ALL SUMMER for it. It is quite the schlep for us. We have to drive 3 hours down and 3 hours back and YES, we're doing it in one day!

SOOO, I was up pretty late getting everything prepared for it. The last BG reading was 125. I was watching it, the Dex arrow was straight. We've been running a little low but Dex has been a champ at catching the drops so I go to sleep. I really should mention that I go ahead and change out DS' site because we've been seeing a real decline in numbers on the third day since we've switched to Humalog and I just want everything to be perfect. So in sum, check BG, 125. Apply new site (sure T) and go to bed.

It is 4 now. I go in and realize I haven't heard the sensor. I check Dex: Sensor Failed. Now it probably alarms when it does that, I'm guessing, but I didn't hear it. That is a little exasperating but I figure I'll just stick a new sensor on him in the morning and since I'll be with him every second tomorrow, we'll still be okay even if we don't get Dex working.

I go to check BG and it is 562. I recheck (I actually checked his toe because I thought there HAD to be some kind of residue on his fingers!) and sure enough the number is 562.

SO, it is 4 in the morning. I am freaked out. I can't figure out the number. I bolused through the pump (I'm thinking now that was a mistake. I REALLY should have done a syringe correction) but I really can't figure out the problem.

Yesterday was a weird hard day from a D standpoint. DS had swim lessons in the morning and a cavity filled in the late morning (our first in some 6 years!). Ironically, I had my 504 meeting prior to the start of school. I introduced the personnel to the Dexcom and could demonstrate our pretty numbers. He was in range almost all day yesterday. His numbers were great all the way through bedtime. He HAS been trending slightly low in the early am. But Dexcom has been catching the lows.

So what is going on? Why is DS so high right now? Could it be a rebound? FWIW, I haven't seen much evidence of rebounding since we've had Dexcom. I used to be more of a believer but I haven't seen the mechanism work. Could it be the new site? It is a Sure -T and looks absolutely perfect. They are usually pretty reliable for us. Could it be the insulin? We opened a brand new vial that came straight from the fridge.

I have no time to figure this out. We are leaving to do our major drive in about an hour and a half. We planned on eating croissants in the car on the way down for breakfast.

I feel so badly for DS. He really doesn't feel well or get adequate rest when he is that high. This is our one shot to do Legoland and I"m feeling really deflated that he'll be chasing highs all day.

Does anyone have any advice at all? What could be causing the high? What can I do to help DS feel better? I'm SO sad right now...so confused.. so worried. Nobody is up. I don't feel like venting to DH is a good idea right now since he just might be driving since I'm obviously going to be exhausted as well...

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would change the site immediately, even if it looks perfect. It's not worth the wait to rule it out as high as his BG is. I would also check for bubbles in the tubing, especially if you used cold insulin when you changed the site. I would also do correction doses by syringe until he is in normal range so that you know he is getting the insulin. If the corrections by syringe don't start to budge him, he may be needing a tremendous basal increase due to illness? post-cavity??

Have you checked ketones? I'd be giving tri-salts with that high of BG to prevent their development.

Is there no way you can postpone the trip for another day? It's awful when D interferes, but I would chose that over having him feel absolutely dreadful on what was supposed to be a fun day for him.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When our Dexcom sensor fails it only gives one vibrate/beep I believe. If you are not listening you will miss it. I don't like that it doesn't give some repeat warnings.
    That high of a number I would change the site and check that insulin comes out of the tubing when primed.
    Also make sure your cartridge is not leaking. MM had a recall on that recently

4. bisous

bisous Approved members

Thanks for chiming in. I think I will change out the site and do a correction via syringe. It is SO weird because we've never in like 5 years of using Sure-Ts had a site be THAT bad and look completely fine. I found a rogue cartridge in my cabinet and didn't look at the lot number. I had previously checked all of my boxes and they weren't affected by the recall. I suppose this one could be bad.

I'm also worried about ketones. What are tri-salts? I haven't heard of them.

DH and I decided we're going to postpone the trip, maybe until November but before Christmas. It will be disappointing to the kids but this is just a total recipe for a terrible day. We were supposed to leave in 20 minutes and I'm not even sure that DS is even healthy enough not to be close to a hospital. DH and I decided we will compensate and have a fun, but more low key day. Both boys will get Lego sets and that will ease the sting a little bit.

5. bisous

bisous Approved members

Okay, I think I may have figured it out. I went to retest. It has only been about an hour (maybe an hour and a half) and he's already into the 300s. I think I may have forgotten to prime all the way through. :eek: It was late when I changed out the set and I don't specifically remember watching it drip out of the end.

I've been such a complete flake lately. I just had to go dig the Dexcom transmitter out of the trash. I took that sucker off and threw the whole thing away. I'm just exhausted.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Is it too late to go? I would hate for your son to blame his BS on missing out on the trip?

7. bisous

bisous Approved members

Well, everyone woke up excited. DS actually doesn't seem too tired but DH and I have already decided we'll do Legoland another day. WE are too tired. But we are offering to go to Disneyland instead. I know that sounds like a funny choice but we get into Disney for free so we can mosey around this morning and make sure that DSs sugar comes all the way down before we leave. It is closer to our home and a much more relaxing day. The kids were a little sad to miss Legoland (which we didn't blame on Diabetes at all) but are excited to go to DL and we are going to buy little gifts from the Lego store. They're all still really happy and that is really fun to see.

As long as DS is fine and healthy, this day won't be so bad after all.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Glad he's coming down. The change of plans sounds just right. Hope it's a really fun day :cwds:

and don't be so hard on yourself, it's a terribly tiring thing this D mom stuff and fyi, I've done the transmitter in the trash thing as well ;)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I was actually going to ask if you remembered to prime the pigtail. And the only way I knew to ask that is that I've made that mistake myself. :) Don't beat yourself up. It happens. :)

10. LJM

LJM Approved members

No help on numbers, but if you make it to LEGOLAND and run into any trouble we are right nearby (3 minutes away)....just PM.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

There's the Lego store in Downtown Disney. Sounds like a better plan for today sure the kids are disappointed but if you're both exhausted no one's going to have a good time.

Hope you have a wonderful time.