- advertisement -

A Terrific Act of Kindness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sszyszkiewicz, Jun 13, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So I am not much of a writer, but my wife is. She has a blog, and a bit of a following, including a high school chemistry teacher who apparently has a T1D kid in his class. That particular student asked the chemistry teacher if he thought she had the discipline necessary to do chemistry as a career, and he replied that “based on what I have been reading on a friends blog, if you have the discipline to deal with T1D you will easily have the discipline to succeed in chemistry”. So that led to a conversation, and my wife’s friend told his student about how he was learning about T1D from reading my wifes blog, and that she was a mom of a newly diagnosed son.

Yesterday, that completely anonymous student, after taking her chemistry final, wrote an entire page of T1D advice (handwritten) that she asked her professor to give to my wife to give to my son!! Her tips were

- Keep regular coke hidden away somewhere if you get a stomach bug, it will keep you hydrated, keep your sugars from dropping and soothe the stomach.
    - Wear a medical id!! They are not as ugly as they used to be and it will be worth it if it saves your life. Plus it can be used as a “medical note” to take supplies into airports, etc
    - This is a lesson I learned the hard way check your sugar whenever anything feels wrong. Headache. Stomach ache. Really tired. Nauseous….just check. I’ve caught TONS of unexpected lows or site failures that way.
    - If you use Facebook find and join diabetes pages/groups. Its really helpful to know that there are other people out there who can relate, and you can ask questions to a non-medical crowd. Doctors of course are amazingly helpful but they can’t be available all the time, and they also have to give strictly professional medical advice- no cheats or shortcuts. Also look into diabetes camp for summer!
    - Finally, don’t beat yourself up over little (or even big) mistakes. Its often not at all your fault and unfortunately diabetes is a tricky balancing act. Make everything a learning experience and let it go.
    Remember, you are not alone with this disease!

Kids are amazing. This one took the time after a chemistry final to write a full page of advice, complete with a small drawing of an owl on a branch, for a complete stranger! It has been a very long week here and that note provided so much hope. It was such a terrific act of kindness.

2. 4Gregory

4Gregory New Member

Very nice!

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.