- advertisement -

A question about the ???'s on the Dex.

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by mommabear, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We are new to using the dex. This is our first 7 days on it. Today is the 6th day and we have ???. everything is fine with the pod site. It is charging, I don't know if that makes a difference. So I'am wondering what usually happens when the ??? marks are there. I know that it means that it can not read the b.g. I have read the book a few times and it really does not explan enough about the ???. Will it eventually pick the b.g. back up, or does it mean that something is wrong with it. new to all this and just trying to figure it out..:confused: Another question..When the dex is charging will it read B.G. correctly? Thank you :cwds:

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

charging shouldn't affect reading.
    ???? means, I believe, that the dex is getting readings but they don't make "sense" to it so it would rather give you no numbers than wrong numbers.
    By why the dex doesn't understand could mean many different things, and whether it will come back depends on which reason the ??? is showing for.
    Some folks feel that some sensors just have a harder time and ???? is a reflection of that, and if they get it too much they pull the sensor and request a new one. I think a bad sensor would have shown for you before now, though.

The most common explanation, I think, is that the bg is changing too fast. This happens to us a ton. If she is dropping or rising very quickly, dex doesn't believe it!

Our rep also said that sometimes the body has an immune response and sets cells around the wire that eventually make the sensor less effective. I believe that we have see that when Selah is fighting a virus, etc. -- situations in which her immune system is ramped up -- we're more likely to ??? But that could just be faster or weirder numbers from the virus.

I found that when we were pumping too close to muscle we got a ton of ???. I think because the numbers moved too fast. But that was a lot, not one late in the game.

You can call your rep, too, they are good for answering questions.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The Dexcom almost always resumes reading numbers after having ???s.

While charging, it will continue to read bgs as long as you're within range.

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I was told to give it 3 hours, then call it in if it doesn't start giving readings at that time. There was only one time in over a year now that it didn't come back, usually well before 2 hours is up. The only other time it happens is when we have restarted a sensor on day 7 and sometimes by day 10 it will happen. In that case we just change it out. We usually get 2 full weeks now. You may need to experiment with sites to find the best ones.
    I really do think that kids with more fast changes in bg have more ??? I am glad that we were not scared off by parents that say that they are a big problem for their kids. I intended to send it back if that was happening during the 30 day period.

5. mommabear

Thank you every one for your info. It came back then went back to the ??? off and on a few times today..I called dexcom and the lady gave me reasons why it could happen..I told her I think that it might be doing this because it is day 7..She said that she has had a few people say that to her but can't really say yes or no. Anyways we just did the new sensor, so hopefully it starts working better..

*Melissata* You really get to full weeks out of one sensor? How do you do that?

6. Melissata

Katrina, Lot of people restart the sensors on day 7 and get at least another full week out of the sensors. Most think that it is actually more accurate on the second week. I have heard of people that are paying out of pocket using them for up to a month! All that you have to do to restart it is to tell the receiver to Stop Sensor, and then go to Start Sensor. You will wait the two hours and then enter the two blood sugars just like you do when you insert a new one. There is no reason to wait until the sensor it completely done, but you can if you want to. In that case, you don't even need to push the button for Stop Sensor, it won't even be an option. All you do is go to Start Sensor. The Dex is very easy to fool! You don't have to touch the sensor or disturb the tape or anything.

7. mommabear

~Mary~Thank you for this info..I already changed his sensor this time on day seven, but when it is time to change next time we are going to try this..This would be great to leave it in longer. It surprise's me that it does not get infected leaving it in that long. Again thank you very much:D

8. Melissata

Since it is not infusing anything, the risk of infection is small. Her sites look great even after 2 weeks, no redness or anything, just a small mark where the sensor went in.

9. zatff

zatff Approved members

???

I usually get 2-3 weeks off a Dexcom sensor but the ??? often starts showing up toward the end of the life of the sensor. Some times it will come back and work fine for a couple more days, some times a few hours. I replace it after the second or third ??? cause it no longer seems reliable. Usually the tape is getting loose and the sensor may be pulling out.

The readings will then often become rather erratic too. Generally the second reset of sensor is more accurate for me than initial readings for me. Also if the readings are way off after you have inserted BG readings several times, it may also be time to replace the sensor.

10. mommabear

Thank you all so much for the feed back:D