- advertisement -

A Must Read: Legal Rights of Students w/ Diabetes Ebook

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by m1cush, Sep 15, 2006.

1. m1cush

m1cush New Member

You may want to check this out. It helped me fighting my daughters school this year in regards to many of her legal rights. She is in the same school district that she attended from pre-school to 6 grade. This year she started Jr. High. I was able to inform the school and district of my daughters legal rights. I used this ebook as a tool. The school now has this book. As they were very ignorant about diabetes. This book explains everything in a very easy understandable language. It was put together by 5 attorneys in October of 2005 and update in June 2006.

My biggest accomplishment was Blood testing in the classroom and anywhere on campus. As she for the last 7 years did this at her elementary which again was in the same school district as her Jr. High. Never a problem. She has been on the pump for 4 years. She is very controlled. Very independant and manages her diabetes herself (I still look over her though) Her A1C every three months range from 5.5 to 7.2. She is very active, super basketball player, runs track and she is going to play volleyball this year. She is an A student and is in several advance classes this year.

After a 7 day battle with the school and help from my daughters super docter and of coure the ebook we were able to make the school understand her rights. She is now taking care of herself through out the day without seeing the nurse. She sees the nurse only on an as needed basis. She is not missing any important class time anymore. By keeping my cool and presenting facts the school finally approved her 504 plan I submitted. If anyone is interested I can email them a copy of the one I presented to school and use it as a tool for guideance on submitting their own. As every childs diabetes management is different this would only be a sample plan. Your own accommodations for your childs need would need to addressed.

The main goal here is to inform the schools that are children deserve every opportunity that every other child has. This ebook helped me understand more of my daughters rights. It is very easy to read. Here is the ebook web address: http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/attorneymaterials/legalrights.jsp

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think that is the single most useful reference for someone who has questions about 504 plans for diabetes. I refer to that document a lot and I encourage others to read it.

Glad your 504 plan has worked out so well - wish us the same luck!

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

4. atticusjrt

atticusjrt New Member

Question about right to privacy

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 2 last summer. We have gotten through the first year at his small magnet high school fine medically speaking.The problem we are encountering is with privacy. I was wondering if we can get any advice on his privacy rights. We have educated the administration of his school but the teachers still discuss my son's "D' in class. He has only shared his diagnosis with a few friends and does not want it to be public knowledge among classmates. I have tried unsuccessfully to remind the administration to respect his privacy but it didn't work so well this year.
    Any advice for when we return in the fall?

5. selketine

I am not sure if the "Legal Rights" book deals with that - it might be worth taking a look at it online and see if there is a section on that issue.

Does the school have any written policy itself on the privacy rights of the students? I assume it is a private school? I'm not quite sure with the charter schools - not too many in my county.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help - I really don't know the answer. I'm sure there must be laws about sharing medical information but I am not too familiar with them.

Call 1-800 DIABETES (342-2383) for the ADA's packet on Education Discrimination and perhaps ask to speak to someone there about your issue.

Let us know what happens!

6. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

The laws that you are reffering to are called FERPA. Your son does have the right to privacy. The teachers have no right to talk about it openly anywhere without his and/or your permission. Look up FERPA on line, you will find what you need there.

Tami

7. atticusjrt

atticusjrt New Member

Thanks

Thanks Carol G and Tammi. I will keep you posted in the fall. I plan on presenting a written request for privacy quoting the section of FERPA that pertains.

Thanks again,

Donna

8. selketine

Donna - I knew Tami would know the law! I hope that you can get this issue worked out. I'd be curious to know what happens if you can follow-up with a post in the Fall.

Good luck!

9. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

Just when I think I can't love this place anymore...I find something new...YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!:D

10. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

Thanks for the info on the info about the Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel and the FERPA. This was my sons first year in school since is dx. Though the teacher was supportive I felt the administration was not. He is the only child with T1 in the school and it was new to all of us. There was no one to give him his injections so I would have to drive to school at noon to cover his lunch, or if he needed an adjustment. He does have a 504 plan, but the district wants to do away with them for diabetics so I think we are in for a fight. I am looking forward to reading the Guide. Thanks for all the info.