- advertisement -

A mom who could use your help

Discussion in 'Teens' started by punkyt, Mar 13, 2007.

1. punkyt

punkyt New Member

My son, who is in the 6th grade, is starting to face the social aspects of having diabetes and not wanting to draw attention to himself, and really, just wanting to be like every other kid. He was diagnosed in 2005 and has been on the pump now for 4 months.

The best example that I can provide is the up-coming end-of-school pool party. I don't think he's going to go because while he has been able to "hide" his pump at school in a pocket, there's really no hiding it, and most of all the nfusion set in swim trunks.

While it's easy for me to try to tell him to be up-front about having diabetes and just being honest with everyone, and not try to hide it, I'm not 12 years old and I don't have diabetes, so I'm not sure that my ideas carry much weight, nor do I necessarily think they should. I can't tell someone how to feel without having been there myself.

What I'm hoping is that you may have some advice for him, not only for the pool party, but for issues like these in general.

I would appreciate anything that you may want to share.

Thank You.

2. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

He can hide it in swim trunks, just have to be inventive. Put the infusion set on his hip or but, under the waist line. In a pocket on the inside of the trunks, which doesn't have to be too great professionally sewn, but just something thrown together to keep it inside and safe, his pump. Also, other things they do sell, but is an idea, they have garder belts for pumps, but guys can use them, too... play it off as something not girly, but kept high up on the thigh, it could also hide his pump, instead of a pocket.

If all else fails, tell him he can be snotty and play it off as he's got a seven thousand dollar toy that no one else is allowed to touch or have one like. Tell him show it off as a tech gadget, not a medical device. Avoid the stigmata of "I have to wear it because I am diabetic." He has to wear it because he wants to, not that he's diabetic.

For the party, give him the option of doing shots for the day, but set some guidelines, like he needs to test every x amount of time, or at a certain time, like one, two, and three oclock. Give him options.

3. Hoping4theCureinWV

Hoping4theCureinWV Approved members

This message is really from my son Aaron but he does not have a log in yet. He says:

Hi my name is aaron owen. If u want to reply to me ill be a member soon. It will take maybee two days from today for it to register....:) :cool: you can reach me at " Aaron O. W.V." When my mom told me of your son's troubles with the pool party, I thought it would mean more if i reply myself. I am 13 years old going on 14 this year!!!! I do know how your son feels. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I was embarrased too at first, but i had a friend that i already knew that had ben diagnosed when he was a baby!! I still don't know how he does it with the accuracy he does.! " It's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!" Later i learned that there's nothing to be embarrased about!! There's alot of people who are diabetic. If youre son dosen't or hasn't gone to anny seminars and/ or camps then i would recomend it!!!!!! Its great and he'll meet new friends that are just like him!!!! You'll be amazed on how he'll react! I promise!!!!!!;) If u would, tell him i said hi and that he should tell his friends. I promise they won't think he's a freak of nature. LOL " laugh out loud." If he dosen't want to tell them he could allways get dressed in the shower area with his sight in his leg!! He should never think he's a freak!!" If any thing they'll think it's cool with all the needles and stuff!!" I'm sure he'll be king of da party!!:cool: I still do normal kid things, for example...... i play the fabulous sport of hockey!!!! my mom's yelling at me to get off the computer. but if u have any questions or anwsers then reply to this mail or to mine!!!! after all, were all in it together buddy!! ur friend aaron!

4. limelover62

limelover62 Approved members

Just let it out

You should tell your son he should just tell the truth and be like " Sure I have diabetes i can't change it you can't change if you don't like it you can just stay away and if you feel bad then help search for a cure" people aren't as bad as he thinks i'm sure it will be fine:)

5. LalaLora272

LalaLora272 Approved members

I dont have a pump because their not something that are big here, but I understand how he feels. I feel the same injecting in public sometimes and Im 18!

Diabetes doesnt make you different, just tell him it makes you special. If he explains to his friends what his pump is I bet he'll find their more interested than freaked out!

I hope he can tell his friends, and I hope it works out for him!

Good Luck x:D

6. hanseylovesponies

hanseylovesponies New Member

Hi i'm 12 aswell and i got diagnosed last year in may and started doing 4 a day in December and have 2 do an injection at lunchtime at school.
    None of my friends think its weird they actually think its really interesting and ask loads of questions it gets annoying sometimes lol!:p
    and they are always fighting over who is gna chop of da needle.
    Anyway u should let ur friends kno tht u r diabetic cos if u have a hypo none of thm will have a clue wots happenin 2 ya like a man went on a walk up a mountain with a few friends and they didnt kno he was diabetic and he had a hypo and fell of the edge and died and none of his friends knew he was diabetic so they didnt kno wot had happened. So u should let thm kno jus for safety reasons.
    hope this helps if it dont soz but i dno wot its like on a pump so it might be COMPLETELY different u might have been the same as me on 4 a day.

From Hannah:) ;) :)

7. momofjack

momofjack New Member

To a Mom who could use your help

Hi,
    I just wanted to let you know I have a 12 year old son with diabetes, who also happens to be a competitive swimmer. He has a pump and his site is in his back hip. He actually wears a speedo and it doesn't show. We've found that swimming (and he plays water polo also) is the best possible sport for him. He disconnects before he swims and with all the strenuous exercise, he stays very steady with his blood sugars. Sometimes, when he's competing, his blood sugars spike very high because of the adrenalin, but they come down after the race so you don't want to give him more insulin (still tempted, though).
    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know his site is easily hidden- he spends every day (all day) in the pool in the summer.

8. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

Just tell him to tell people because like everyone has said, Its way better for many reasons. fety and your friends would think that you were "hiding things" from them. I've doneit and its so much better because im turning 14 in 3 days and ever since I was diagnosed (september 2004) all my friends have known about it

9. CarrieScott

CarrieScott Approved members

I wasn't diagnosed with T1 until I was 17, but I had friends as a child that were on the pump & some that were using injections.

I never met or heard anybody that thought it was wierd or strange.

If anything, I thought that they were really cool and really strong for being able to prick themselves. I thought I was such a sissy when I had to get my preventative shots at the Dr.

My friends and I all had tons of questions and were fascinated with the pump! Now that I'm older, I make fun of it and call it my pager, or my "artificial pancreas". My friends think it is hilarious and say that I'm stuck in the 90's with this thing that looks like a pager in my pocket. :rolleyes:

It is always scary when you are young to feel different in any way. Even when he realizes that there is nothing to be afraid of when admitting that you have D, there will be other things he will be embarassed about too. It's natural part of growing up.

I only recently became comfortable admitting that I am bi-polar and take medication for that as well. Talk about stigma!!

Anyways, I digress. My heart goes out to you and especially your son. Hang in there. There are so many improvements being made everyday and the awareness of this disease is growing all the time!!

10. Tori

Tori Approved members

I'm in the 6th grade too and i also faced these problems. I sugest thar if it is really bugging him he should test and do his shots in the nurces office. I thought about doing that, but then figured it wasn't worth it. I figured that I wouldn't let anyone make me do things just because they stared or said things. Hope this helps!

11. PetGirl

PetGirl New Member

I tell people, if they ask, that I'm a doctor and I need a beeper with me at all times. If thay ask what's with the thing attached to your stomach I tell them I don't want it to ring during school so if a patient needs me, it gives me a small electric shock. It's a far fetched story, but people actually believe me!LOL. I'm in 7th grade BTW

12. divabetic429

divabetic429 Approved members

Kids aren't usually scared when I tell them I have diabetes, and they definitely don't want to be my friend anymore. They understand that it's just something that's a part of me that I deal with.