- advertisement -

A+ Medical and Insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom to S&S, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

We just got our A+ Medical account approved through our insurance (BCBS of AL PPO). I ordered everything they could provide for us except for insulin. My husband thinks we should try getting insulin from them, but I am just a little nervous about having it sit on the doorstep all day especially during the summer months (we both work in offices where it would be even more difficult to receive it). So I thought I would ask if there are any A+ users here who get insulin through them. How well do they package it? Have you ever had any problems with the insulin arriving late or warm or anything? TIA!

2. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Can you receive packages where you work by chance? We just started too and I thought of having the supplies/insulin just delivered to me at the office.

Ooops, sorry. I saw you just said you can't.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. caspi

caspi Approved members

We had a horrible experience with A Plus with their insulin. It always arrived warm and their idea of cold packing it is putting in one small ice pack that was always melted by the time it got here. Our first shipment had no ice in it at all and their reasoning was because it was March -- however they ship from Florida. :confused: We finally had to stop using them because they just couldn't get it right. :(

THAT SAID, I know that there are a number of folks on here that have had nothing but a positive experience with A Plus. I'm sure they will fill you in on it more! :cwds:

4. Mom to S&S

Yeah, that was my first thought but both my husband and I work for consulting firms at a client site so we really can't.

See, I thought I remembered reading that before on here. We live in Alabama so FL to AL is not going to be a cold route. The hubby argued that it is shipped to the pharmacy, but I have a feeling the manufacturer packs it just a little better than A+. :cwds:

5. Tena

Tena Approved members

We also order from A+. I did order insulin one time and as another poster said they only packed it with 1 tiny icepack and when it got from Florida to Texas it was HOT. I did call and they sent postage to send it back and THEY suggested getting insulin from a local pharmacy while it is still hot here in the south.

I probably will just always get the insulin locally as it is something that can't be compromised. However I will say that on all other D supplies they are saving us a tremendous amount of money (of which I am very grateful).

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we do get insulin from them, I ask them to double ice it in the summer, which they do with no problems.. on the mornings that I know its coming (it was actually suppose to come today and didn't:confused: ) I go and pick it up at the PO.. I've never ever had bad insulin, we've been using them for over a year now.. insulin is cool, but not cold.. I usually switch insulin out at 25days (we get extra insulin) instead of 28, to account for the shipping time BUT there have been plenty of times that I've gone over the 25, and even the 28 days before I realized, and never ever had a problem.

7. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We just got our first shipment this past week - it was a few days late - however the icepack was still cool. We sent it to school and have had no problems . . . it stays in the fridge at school. The other bottle we will open next week -I presume it will be fine too . . .

The rest of the shipment was fine - except they forgot the alcohol swabs - I need to call about that.

Vicki

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We get our insulin from A+ I ask them to double ice pack it year round since my mailman is considerate enough that he knows the box is medical supplies and he keeps it inside of his truck. We have never had a vial go bad but we go through 2 a month of Apidra (Novalog when she was on that) We had more trouble with bad insulin locally than we have with A+. I just made sure to call and let them know it MUST be double ice packed year round.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I can't use A+ :( but I do use mail-order. I finally decided to give it a go with the insulin, but I'm having it delivered to my job. Do you have family or friends who are home during the day who would be able to accept shipments?

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is the thing that I didn't understand about them and why I became so leery of them -- for the most part, isn't it always warm in Florida? At least where my sister lives, and she doesn't live far from their offices. Shouldn't ALL insulin be mailed out packaged properly (ie COLD)? As I've said before, I have received Honey Baked Hams that were better packaged than the way they package their insulin. :rolleyes:

11. Mom to S&S

That is good to know. Of course, if they know it isn't packaged well you would think they would work on changing that. I am going to stick with the local pharmacy. We only use about one bottle a month so I don't want to take the risk. Thanks for all of the advice!

On a completely different topic, Tena, your clothes are so cute! If my daughter wore a traditional pump I would definitely be buying some things:)

12. Barry

Barry Approved members

Using A+ for almost 2 years. I opened up a Post Office Box to avoid the sitting in front of the house. Govt employees keep it nice and cool

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  13. Tena

Tena Approved members

On a completely different topic, Tena, your clothes are so cute! If my daughter wore a traditional pump I would definitely be buying some things:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, If there is every anything I can do just let me know. I am hoping to get some dresses made and put on the website very soon. Thanks again.

14. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Insulin not arriving cold/cool is the only problem that I have ever had with A+. My last order was shipped on a Friday (it is sent to my job, so they are supposed to ship during the first of the week)priority, so it set in a truck or PO over the weekend and then Monday was a holiday, no mail and then Tuesday they did not attempt delivery till after 5pm when the buisness was closed. It finally showed up on Wed morning, my day off.
    I went to work and picked it up, 2 ice packs completely thawed out.
    Called to have them ship more, told them to wait until Monday to ship , so I should get it on Wed.

15. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We have been getting our insulin from Aplus since January. Only once did we get a bad shipment, but that was because it was mailed on thrus and we didnt get it till monday.

My theory was that we will try it until we get a bad vial and then we will switch locally. We have enough stocked up that if we got a bad shipment one month, we have spare to use till it is replaced.

16. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

Can anyone give me information on how to get started with A+? I called them and "applied" several months ago - but never heard anything - and when I moved, I lost their information.

Thanks!

Deb in Southern Illinois