advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A guide to parents written by a teenage diabetic

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by ErictheFerret, Nov 27, 2007.

1. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

This never gets old........thanks for bumping it up. And I also think it should be a sticky :)

2. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

I think so too. My daughter is only 5 but I want to make sure i remember this. I was a teenage girl at one time, but never a teenager with diabetes so I have no idea what it is like.

3. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I took the liberty to translate Eric's fantastic post in Greek, and I posted it to www.sugarfree.gr a Greek diabeted portal :cwds:

4. aidensdad

aidensdad New Member

Great information!

Eric,

I would like have your opinion about one of the topics you covered in your guide. You mentioned how scary the pump was for you; I am the father of a 4year old with T1 and would like to get him on a pump. Problem is he is very scared also. It's not the pump itself but the infusion set. He has become familiar with the pump itself but he would still prefer injections over getting one. What would a 13 year old say to a 4 year old if he was standing in front of you to ease their mind about this life changing decision? Also what age did you get your pump and do you wish you had gotten it earlier? Thanks for you time Eric and I wish you well. Really enjoyed the info.

5. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

That was so good:)

6. ErictheFerret

ErictheFerret Approved members

Wow, this thing is almost 2 years old! I forgot about it.

@aidensdad-

I received my pump less than a year after I got diabetes, so I couldn't have been happier. I love the pump because it has so many less injections, it's like 1 shot every couple days instead of multiple shots a day. Plus, it gives you freedom to eat what you want, when you want, and if you've been diabetic for a while, you forget what that truly means.

7. ErictheFerret

Wow! Very cool!

8. swe_marie

swe_marie Approved members

Wow!

I'm a mother of a teenager that was diagnosed with diabetes1 three years ago. Our life chanced in a couple of minutes and my first reaction was that he was going to die.
    Now I now better but I still worry as h..l every day. Off course I get angry with him when he eats without injections, but I allso tell him each and every dag how brave he is.
    I cried when I read your comment, and I'll print it and try to translate it. (as you can see, my english isn't that good). You express yourself so good and if you dont mind, I'd like to copy your text and put it on our Swedish forum for children with diabetes1...is that ok with you?

You really opened my eyes! Thanks a lot for charing your thoughts with us.

//Marie

9. Lys

Lys Approved members

Thank you very much!
    My daughter Camila, has Typ1 D... She was diagnosed 4 yearse ago. She's 14 now.
    We live in Uruguay , South America and I see D is the same all over the world, and teenagers feel the same all over the world.
    Camila told me the other day " stop talking about D to me... " don't want to know anything else about it...
    hmmm that worried me.. but I know she's right..
    She's takes care of her... check bg, gives insulin , does exercise, follows the diet... but that's it she doesn't want to know anything else, by now.
    It was nice to read your post... it helps a lot.
    Hope you and camila could chat one day.. I'm sure it will help..
    Do you speak spanish? lol.. that's our language,, and CAmila speaks a little english
    Again thank you very much

10. ErictheFerret

Wow, we visited south america 3 or so years ago.

I speak about 2 years worth of spanish, so nothing to really write a novel about, sorry.

I wish her the best for her, sounds like she's on top of things!

11. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Father of the An Awesome Diabetic

Eric, that was simply AWESOME! Thank you:)

12. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Your guide makes us adults look at diabetes from a teenagers perspective. By the looks of the replies from newbies like us, you have certainly got our attention.

Thanks Eric.

13. sunshine95

sunshine95 Approved members

my dad does this and it bothers me because people then feel sorry for me but dont really want people to feel sory for me because im doing fine(unless it will get me somthing for free) lol

14. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks, Eric, for writing this. I read somewhere that when your child checks his/her BG just say "thank you" no groans, etc., so that's what I do, i say Thank You and that's it. Also, I've read "no number is a bad number" without the numbers we wouldnt know where the BG would be!

My son who is 13.5 also wants to write/make video games! Hope you are doing well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. ErictheFerret

Thanks for following this! And I'm doing great, I just did an A1C test today, should get the results soon.

16. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Wow, I could not have found this at a better time. We were at it tonight and I know this helped. Thank you so much!

17. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Thanks Eric -- great insight on how parents can make this disease easier for their kids to manage.

I'm guilty too of reacting to high numbers. It gets so frustrating and I worry so much about future complications.

Thanks again, great post

18. blessed

blessed Approved members

Just wish I had read this 10 years ago... Awesome post!

What great reminders...I only wish I had read it and not made some of those mistakes. I am a big cry baby and I am afraid he saw me cry about it more than once =( Thank you for taking the time to write/post this. Great things we need to remember as a parent.

19. rock'emsock'emmama

rock'emsock'emmama New Member

Did you write this or?

So... did you write this yourself or is this a book? Would love to read if so, and if not... KUDO'S to you!!! :)

20. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Thank you so much

My son was diagnosed a year ago and I think sometimes my husband and I are so obsessed with trying to get it right that we don't consider how our comments or reactions to things can affect him. Thanks for the reminder. I needed to see it through his eyes.