advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A guide to parents written by a teenage diabetic

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by ErictheFerret, Nov 27, 2007.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Jeff,
    could we make this a sticky?
    maybe the kids could brainstorm and come up with some rules/guidelines for us parents?

2. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

thanks for keeping it real

3. ErictheFerret

ErictheFerret Approved members

This got published in Diabetes Health, June/July 2009. Page 12.

[​IMG]

:eek:

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

Oh my gosh, congrats!!! How exciting!!! I am so proud of you, as I'm sure are the 5 gazillion other mothers on here!!!! This is just so cool!!! ((HUGS))

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Congrats that is awesome. My son is 17 and was dx a few days after his 16th birthday. I hate to admit it but in the beginning I was doing a few of the things on your don't list. Thanks to you writing that I have backed off and I thank you for that. It has made it easier on all of us.

6. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

Congratulations, Eric! and thanks for the advice!

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I am now a grown up but was diagnosed as a teen. My parents one a physician, did none of my D care. I started with shots and in those days urine tests on my own. I was in control of my own diet. My Mom tried to fix some dishes that worked with my exchange system. (I quickly figured out how to convert the exchange system into a carb count and life was easier). For beter or worse I actually had parents who never questioned me, never checked, etc. etc. I was probably a more compliant kid than many (with regards to the diagnosis) and had no issues with being a type one. It was also assumed that I would be in charge of all my eating and dosing decisions. We had a large family. I still did all the same hiking trips, ski days, biking, 2 hour dance classes, sleep overs with friends, etc. etc. that I had done pre diagnosis. It never occurred to me to do anything differently and my folks never suggested it. I did not feel restricted with my food schedule and never felt compelled to go wild on sweets though during those years any sugar was an absolute no no. They at the time thought that having a baby would be a no no-they were wrong and their view was from an era 30 years earlier. That was the only suggestion that my life would be different. I was well informed of the future complications. All of this was not better nor worse than other ways of dealing with type one but for me and my family and the era I was diagnosed this was a good approach. :cwds:Ali

8. CButler

CButler Approved members

Thanks for reminding me to chill out! I often wonder how SHE must feel, since I don't have diabetes.

9. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

AWESOME JOB!!!Brandon is just 13,but am trying very hard to obey the rules.
    He is foremost still my "baby",and so hard to let him go.But will NEVER hold
    him back..Your parents I bet are SOO PROUD,I know I am,and I don't even
    know you.Becky

10. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

I love this guide. Thanks!

11. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Awesome.

Annabelle's grandparents always ask if a number is "good or bad"...I can't stand that. I have stressed a gazillion times that no number is good or bad, it is just INFORMATION.

I think we're cool about how we deal with D at our house. Its just school, grandparents, extended family, friends that goof up here.

Michelle
    dd Annabelle 6 dx'd 3/07

12. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you..... for bumping this up...

13. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

congratulations erictheferret!!!

14. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Bumping this up, I was reading over at Diabetes Health and saw it.

15. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Thank you Eric,

You seem to have a very very well adjusted attitude and appreciate you wrote this to remind us parent of how our actions (even well intentioned) can effect our kids.

I am gulity of moaning about high numbers NOT because it is anyone's fault but becaues I feel bad for my child that he must have another shot...

I have also tried very hard not to refer to numbers and good or bad...they are just numbers.

thanks again lots of good information

16. Carolyn

Carolyn Approved members

My son ( age 13, diagnosed 1 yr ago) would like to thank you for saying what he has been thinking. I am guilty just like many other parents, we are learning too- congrats on putting in words what many kids want to say but don't.

17. fredntan2

I'd like to bump this back up.

Eric you should write a book

18. fredntan2

I think this should be a sticky.

19. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Dear Eric

It's great that you shared your feelings and reminded parents that it is the child/young person's diabetes not theirs (sorry everyone but it is!).Your advice is well written and direct.I disagree with those who said it is funny - it isn't, it speaks the truth.

I have had diabetes since I was 9 (am now a 33y old paediatrician) and l became frustrated that children and young people with diabetes did not have a voice, and realised how frustrating that was for parents, as well as that person.

I spoke with many children and young people and put their stories and views in a book, and there is a large section from teenagers. Its from the UK, but I think that those feelings are ubiquitous.

without wishing to plug it, I hope it may be of some help providing insight for parents.

on another note, I have cycled through Vietnam and Cambodia, trekked the Great Wall of China and camped my way round the Tour of Mont Blanc....all with diabetes and no disasters....

best wishes,

Rachel

Diabetes through the Looking Glass

20. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Thank you for this Eric! It's really great to hear your perspective :) I will keep these things in my mind as we go through this journey!