advertisement

A guide to parents written by a teenage diabetic

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by ErictheFerret, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ErictheFerret

ErictheFerret Approved members

When I became diagnosed with diabetes a year ago, it nearly killed me. My parents became obbsessed with diabetes, and have always helped me. Here are a few tips on how to help your child with diabetes...

1. Never, never, NEVER groan when your child has a high number. Yes, we know it's high. It's usually not our fault. When it is our fault, though, do remind us gently not to eat that last cake slice.

2. Don't go crazy when we have low numbers. Ok? Yes, we sometimes have 40s and lower. Just hand us a juice. Don't go crazy.

3. Don't pressurize us 24/7 to do excersise when we are high. Being high and excersising is the last thing we want to do. Instead, suggest walking in place for about 15 minutes to half an hour. It works great with me! If it doesn't work, don't just boot your child out the door. Do everything with him/her, so (s)he does not feel lonely.

4. Don't complain about us having diabetes. It's not our fault.

5. Be patient when the littler kids cry about shots. It's scary.

6. A pump is probably the scariest thing about diabetes in the world. At 13 years of age, I still get the chills, even though I've had the pump since early August. Be extremely patient with the pump.

7. Participate in the walks. They will make you feel good, and you get great stuff, too! Like free testers and test strips! :)

8. Make your kid prepared, but not excessively. Only pack us up with a tester, a juice, and a quick 15 carb snack. That's it.

9. Don't cry in front of us. That just makes us more depressed knowing that we caused this for you.

10. Finally, support us in everything we do. If we want to go jetpacking off the Niagra Falls, don't stop us by saying, "You can't do that. How will you do your shots?" Instead, take about 20 minutes discussing how you are going to manage your diabetes and still have fun. It will pay off in the end, trust me.

I hope you took the time to read this guide. If you follow the rules, it should make life easier. Also, buy the Calorie King. It's like the Diabetic Bible!:D

Sandy's mom likes this.
  2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

THat was very well written.
    Thank you for taking the time to remind us.;)
    Allene

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Dude

You didn't cause it. I recently read something very good about this:

I am with ya, if you can figure out how to jet ski off Niagra Falls, do your BG and shots AND land it I say go for it. (It's the landing I worry about more than the shots to be honest about it)

Thanks for the post It was funny and good, in that order. Just the way I like them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  4. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

Eric, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! It has really opened my eyes hearing this from you. I am guilty of the groan with highs, and panicking with lows! I hope I will chill a little with time. I vent a lot on this board, it is my only outlet, but I do not complain in front of my little one. I am constantly praising her for each little accomplishment! Thanks again and I wish the best to you!

5. ErictheFerret

I'm glad you all took time to read this!

6. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Eric, thanks for the perspective! Sometimes we get so caught up in the details we lose sight of the big picture.

7. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

its nice to hear from the young ones themselves on your feelings about it. this is helpfull. i am usually strong majority of the time. only when my daughter looses it emotionally and cries and says she wishes she did not have diabetes. and she is tired of it. what do you suggest to do. i usually cry with her and tell her it is ok to hate it, its ok to have the feeling s she is having. and i am there for her. is that good.? and i can get alittle angry when her number is high and i find out she has eaten something she not have. but i always explain to her that i dont mind her eating what she ate, she just needs to tell me and then we can give the dose she needs.

8. ErictheFerret

Coping with diabetes sucks. Really. I was kind of past that crying phase, so I really don't know what it is like. Continue saying that you will be there for her and following your deeds should be fine.

9. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Thanks for that Eric. It's nice to see it from a teens perspective.:cwds:

10. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

Thank you, Eric. As the mother of a 16 year old diabetic, it is difficult to find the balance of wanting to know what is going on every minute and stepping back and letting Sam take over his care. This was helpful to hear your thoughts and feelings. Well said!

11. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Thank you Eric.:cwds: You sound like a cool teen.

12. ErictheFerret

Sorry for not replying to any of the other 3 posts. I was working on making a video game...

Thanks for the compliment!

13. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Very well said Eric. My daughter is almost 12 and the teen issues are starting already. as parents we truly do forget to step outside the box for a little bit to remember tha the same kid is still there that was there before D. and im also guilty of the groan with high numbers, but I always look at it as my fault. that there was something I didnt do right. you have a great out look for someone so young..kudos to you :D

14. ErictheFerret

Thanks for the compliment! :D

15. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Thank you Eric for posting this! It was nice to hear from someone you age.

16. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Thank you so much for writing this. I get upset in front of my daughter all of the time-I can't quit getting misty eyed in front of her:(

17. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

guilty too of some groans and perhaps some panic with the lows... will keep this in mind - it was funny about packing "you" up with gear. when this started our D kit was impressive - with a bit of time we have dwindled it down quite a bit! thanks!

18. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Thanks Eric for the great post.

It definately makes me feel like I'm doing a good job. I follow most of your points about 90% of the time. I've got a 14 year old that currently is zen with his D so I'm doing somethig right.

19. golfermom

golfermom Approved members

Thank you Eric for this most helpful post. You have given some great insight and valuable reminders to all of us. Best wishes to you!

20. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

Thanks Eric, for the very well put post. My daughter is just 2 now, but I know my time is coming. It helps to put it all into prespective.

Good luck to you!