- advertisement -

A frustrating morning

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Aug 30, 2016.

1. kail

kail Approved members

Its been difficult and time consuming getting settled into a new school the past few days. Figuring out how to handle dex and who is monitoring it and dealing with cell phone reception, wifi, district nurses and health clerk etc. The first day of school she dropped to 40 at snack time and I am still freaked out about what would have happened if I hadn't been there right then since I was there working out details.

In any case....worked late last night and just couldn't bring myself to start on packing lunches at 11pm last night. So I got up at 5, got ready for work and packed her two snacks, lunch, lunch for sister and made breakfast and dealt with tired kids that weren't super cooperative when they woke up. Got them off to school only about 5-10 min later than I had hoped. They were on time but I was a few min late for work. Dex was steady at 110 this morning and the meter was 162. She had a 25 min prebolus and the curve had just turned down. It wasn't the best breakfast but nothing she hasn't had before: cheerios with whole milk 21g, whole milk 5g, banana 10 gram, turkey sausage. I don't usually give so much banana at breakfast so that was unusual but she does have cereal fairly often. She started eating at 7:20 and at 8 she was 156 with a diagonal up arrow. Then at 8:30 she was two arrows up and 385. Now she is somewhere over 400.

I know there are better breakfast options. Sometimes we hit a good breakfast but a spike to 200 or even 250 isn't unusual. Its usually brief and she plummets down just as quick.

I am just so frustrated and so tired. Last week she was 40 and now she is over 400. I know this is diabetes and I need to treat the numbers and move on. I know that the start of school will require trial and error. But I am so tired and I tried so hard to make it go well today and now this.

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough first week!

This past summer was the first time our daughter has gone to summer camp, and we had to patch together about 5 day camps to keep her occupied. We experienced a few weeks like what you just described with terrible roller-coaster bgs, from a combination of excitement, intense activity, missed or delayed snacks, and equipment snafus. It's SO hard starting a new routine and changing caregivers with T1s at this age.

I don't have D management advice here. I just wanted to say, I hear you, this disease really stinks. It has a nasty way of turning moments that are fun, hopeful times for ordinary families into a series of landmines for D families.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The first few weeks of a new school year are always hard. I distinctly recall always being sort of surprised when October rolled around and suddenly things calmed down, I felt more relaxed and only then did I realize how hard those first weeks had been!

As the PP noted, the change in routine and schedule and activity and stress and excitement and just all of it will wreck havoc on bgs. It will smooth out. Hang in there.

4. kail

kail Approved members

Thanks. I'm just venting today. I have no idea why she spiked so high today and stayed up until school was over despite corrections but I'm not really looking for advice today on that. I know breakfast could have been better but wasn't something that would usually spike her for hours. Highs or lows mean lots of messages from the school too which is good but very disruptive. Its just nice to talk to people who understand. I know we will get through it although tomorrow is our first day of PE to navigate. :( Maybe it is good that the school sees that she can go up or down by 100-200 points in 15-30 minutes. I'd like to see her classroom get an aide at least to take some burden off the teacher. My older daughter had an aide with the teacher in first grade but its not typical.. Anyway, thanks.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The answer is very simple....because it was Tuesday!! :p

Hang in there

6. samson

samson Approved members

Being a parent is hard. Being a parent of a T1D is doubly hard. Hang in there, you're doing a great job.