- advertisement -

A First look at BU's Bionic Pancreas All in One Device (thanks to Ellen)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

2. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

But we would need fresh glucagon every 24 hours? Am I right?

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the mental energy and emotional energy saved, the time not squandered dealing with highs and lows would be WELL WORTH the 5 min spent each night to mix up a bit a of glucagon and change a cartridge. I don't think we realize the productivity cost of living with this crappy disease that would be negated by the BP.

5. njswede

njswede Approved members

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but given how all over the place our Dexcom can be some days, I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. Maybe this also includes some updated sensor technology?

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Oh no, I wouldn't mind mixing :D, I just think what the insurance would say ;). Glucagon is VERY expensive...

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Very interesting, thanks for posting that. So are they saying that the CGM and pump are all housed in that one unit? And then I am assuming there would be two sites on the body, one for the CGM and one for the pump?

8. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I am assuming possibly three sites. One for CGM, one for insulin and one for glucagon. If there is anyone on here who attended Ed's session at FFL, possibly they could clarify.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Oh right, that would make sense. You probably wouldn't want the glucagon and insulin going in through the same canula.

10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Diatribe ' FFL highlights includes the iLet bionic pancreas. I believe the customized infusion set mentioned is being worked on by BD, & will be a single set that delivers both insulin & glucagon. I can't find the article about BD'S work, but I read it last fall.

http://diatribe.org/bionic-pancreas-dual-chamber-pump-unveiled-friends-life-2015

As for CGM accuracy, since the iLet is not using a receiver, I would think it uses the Dex G5, or possibly an even more advanced algorithm. Dexcom has mentioned enough details about the G6 that I would think they must have at least a working prototype to be able to speak to its accuracy the way they do. I certainly wouldn't want a Dex G4 controlling a pump on my child. The reliability ility is just not there yet.

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I think is the current plan is two individual tubings that sort of join at a point and one site with two canulas for insulin glucagon delivery. Separate dexcom site.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I think you're correct, as there are two different ports coming from the device; I assume one is for insulin and the other is for glucagon. It would be nice if they join at one site, even if there are two different cannulas, as long as one could insert both cannulas at once.