- advertisement -

A few thoughts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Jul 18, 2011.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

After having diabetes in our lives, going into year 5 this summer and Mann going to Camp Joslin for the fourth time, you would think I would be over the tears. Day to day I am, we take D as it is and roll with it. I am glad to have a little break, maybe get some sleep.... That is where my tears come in, I am sad that I can take a break but my lil'Man can't :(.

It also struck me when I looked around camp and saw all the boys with diabetes. We need a cure. Until then I am glad to have a great camp he can go to and happy to see all the wonderful relationships that have formed from having a CWD. :cwds:

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I feel the very same way. We get a break but it is always there for our kids...I felt the same dropping Will off at camp too. All those kids, all different age groups all with the big D. We do need a cure!

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh Wanda, big hugs girlfriend. methinks we need another girls weekend this fall.....
    and yes, I am so conflicted on knowing that I am going to enjoy that break from diabetes during camp but that Ian will never get a break from it.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Did I hear cannolis and mimosas?

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I believe they are calling my name!

Wanda, I'm so sorry:( Kaylee is at camp this week too but its day camp. I try and look at it this way, while she isn't getting a break from diabetes she IS getting to spend the days with lots of kids that are just like her, they all test and get insulin at the same time... its not a break but its as close to it as she can right now.. at least its a break from her mom.;)

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Hugs Wanda. No good (or bad) advice, just wanted to give a hug and say yes, it sure does suck that they never get a break!

Hope he has a great time at camp!!

7. L101418

L101418 Approved members

D-camp was the widest range of emotions I've had since diagnosis. Thrilled that they both agreed to go. Teary-eyed dropping off younger daughter because had never been away for a week before. Tickled how the second we walked into the cabin they were all the same and talking their d-language. Picking up younger daughter the camp talked to all the parents first and we could hear the kids gathered out of eyesight singing and doing camp chants. Then they signaled the campers to join us and they all marched down to us shouting their cadence cutting through the parents. More tears, so inspiring, so so so many of them. The next second my teen daughter turned towards me and says "I want to do that!" referring to the couselors. Pride. The next day dropped off teen daughter for her week. More instant connections. Picked her up and she was changed. Alive! Rejuvinated! Excited! She blabbed the entire trip home and I quietly blubbered behind my sunglasses, full of pride, full of joy, full of love and full of sadness.

8. lil'Man'sMom

me thinks there was a reason I call you friend... no need to ask me twice. Lets start planning!!!

9. lil'Man'sMom

Thanks Jenn!

We need to get you to our girl weekends.

10. lil'Man'sMom

I stopped at Wholly Cannoli on the way back from Joslin, wanted Mike and my sister to try them. They are YUMMY but they are even YUMMIER with mimosas and my GF's. :D

11. lil'Man'sMom

I know, Mann always comes back from camp totally rejuvenated. It is such a good thing for our kids.

12. frizzyrazzy

what? and you didn't pop over to say hi??

13. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Is it wrong that I almost never post except when these two words are present?

Yes, I think we all hear correctly :)

14. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

You are so 100% right on, Wanda. I was just looking at the day camp pics on line and its such a bummer to see all the kids checking themselves. At first, it's "awww cute" but its so not cute, kwim? Manning is going to have a great week! As will you. Hugs my friend ;)

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I was talking to a mom today who's daughter is in Kaylee's group at camp, they both have celiac and type 1. We talked about great it is that they are together in the same group, and then looked at each other when we realized how weird that sounded.. obviously we wish neither kid had to deal with either disease, but its nice that they have each other at camp, they plan on becoming pen pals when camp is over.

Now, my question.. where oh where is wholly cannoli? I want one tomorrow! :D

16. frizzyrazzy

you showed up too late after we had eaten the first batch of cannoli - but it's right by my house. FYI.... I will bring some for the next girls weekend. :)

17. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

My daughter was just diagnosed in May and I can see myself feeling the same way! It is the reason I cried so much in the beginning and the reason part of my heart feels a sadness.

18. lil'Man'sMom

I kept saying to Mike, "Michelle lives right down there..." . We had to get home, he had to work early a.m.

I will call you so we can plan lunch, maybe Andee and Max can join us.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

You forgot somebody.

20. lil'Man'sMom

Becky - If you are in the area on the 29th, I would love to have the presence of your delightful company at a luncheon. :D;)