- advertisement -

A few things I learned today about the Insurance Reform

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zakksmom, Sep 1, 2010.

1. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

It sucks!!!!!!!! Nothing in this world is free. Be prepared to pay dearly for health care people.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So, from phone conversations with health insurance reps you learned all this?Including that returning vets are anxious about jobs? From insurance reps on the phone???:confused:

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Using the term "death taxes" in place of "inheritance" or "estate" tax is pointing a loaded partisan gun into a peaceful crowd.

Tell me what the changes are without the drama please, and I'll listen a lot more attentively.

Don't forget that only a few short years ago we couldn't buy any OTC meds to FSA accounts. True, maybe it's a step backwards, but it's hardly the destruction of the country as we know it.

Your 3.8% "sales tax" figure woefully fails the fact check test: http://www.factcheck.org/2010/04/a-38-percent-sales-tax-on-your-home/ - "sales tax" implies a uniform price on the whole sales price, not the capital gains made by subtracting the cost basis, and also subtracting out a $250K/$500K exclusion. That means if I sold my house for a $500,001 profit (and who's making a profit on real estate these days??) then I would pay 3.8 cents of extra tax. Whoo!

What else will I find with thirty more seconds of Googling?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Just to keep things in perspective:

There has been a so called "marriage penalty" for several years. It simply refers to way the tax brackets are structured, and that a married couple with both spouses earning about the same owes more taxes than 2 singles. Nothing new here.

There is already a phase out of itemized deductions. In 2009 it occurred at $166,800 I believe. It is not a total phase out, but a reduction in itemized deductions for high incomes. Again, not new.

Health Care benefits provided by employers will NOT be taxable, even though they will be listed on your W-2. Some speculate this is so fines can be levied on those without coverage. Again, it will not be taxable and will not be carried over to your tax return. It is for disclosure only.

Yes, the child tax credit is supposed to be reduced to $500 per kid.

I would strongly consider who the messenger is here. Insurance companies who are not happy with all the changes are painting a scene of doom and gloom. Is that who you are hearing this from?

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

But the $500 Child Credit was $500 before the TEMPORARY increase...

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

In my opinion there are positive as well as negative aspects of this reform. One of the more negative parts that will effect many people here is that device manufacturer's are getting hit with pretty severe tax increases. This includes companies that manufacture insulin pumps. Who is going to "pay" for those tens of millions of dollars in taxes that those companies must pay? You, your children who use pumps and the employees who get laid off from those companies.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, amazing isn't it? It's also interesting how the OP edited her post... :confused::rolleyes:

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

... and all this drama right around elections ...

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

To the OP - is there a reason why you continue to edit your original post? :confused: Just curious.....

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

eeehhhhh whats new... I already pay dearly for my health insurance. :rolleyes:

and I took such a huge hit on my house real estate wise... Its worth next to nothing.. but the bank still thinks I should pay full price for it :rolleyes:

such is life

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I also sell health insurance and I'm not too happy about what the insurance companies are doing, however I think that it is GREAT that our cwd will now be able to be covered!!

Remember insurance companies are out to make a profit. I'm not sure why people get upset about that, we wouldn't expect anyone else to work for free. Trust me, I get very frustrated with health insurance companies, just because I sell health insurance doesn't mean I like the companies;)

I figured that if the companies were to make a profit off of my CWD, they would have to charge more than 1,000/month just for him, which isn't happening.

Honestly I don't think anyone truly knows what the outcome of this healthcare reform will be, for now as consumers, we just have to wait and see.

12. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

Just noting that some proposed "tax increases" are the expiration of tax cuts which put our country in the position of borrowing more money, and that some things that our country engaged in (like the Iraq war) were not budgeted for at all...earlier generations bought "war bonds" so that future generations would not have to cover the cost of such engagements.

Deborah

13. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I didn't know Sarah Palin was an insurance agent.

What's the deal with editing the OP?

14. swellman

At least Sarah QFT'd it.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know. How can we respond and have a civilized debate if the OP pulls everything out.

Maybe OP realized the info she was getting wasn't neccessarily from a reliable source???:confused:

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

The original post was deleted and modified after I PMed the OP, because I was concerned that as a relative new poster she might not have anticipated the emotions that were about to descend on her. I can't speak for her, I don't know her, I don't know whether my PM influenced her decision to change her post, but I can tell you that I feel quite responsible for the flack she's received her and wish I'd kept my virtual mouth shut, and I'm asking a personal favor, please just let this go.

17. swellman

Well .... since your post was so impassioned and it's not in the Hot Topics section ... ;)

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

So, do I understand this correctly? A newish poster posts a, Hot Topics political thread on the main forum and posits a laundry list of tax "increases" as a consequence of health care reform which she learned of from talking to insurance industry folks on the phone :rolleyes: and from the tone of it, she seems to have anticipated that this, "new" and "valuable" information will be greeted with interest. Instead, it is met by skepticism. Then you decide to PM her to beware, and she deletes the whole things without so much as a "Oops! - probably should have posted that elsewhere" and now Lisa, you are ordering us to "please, let this go." ?

Have I got that right?:rolleyes:

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sarah, I am asking a personal favor. I am asking. I feel responsible for driving this thread in this direction, I made another mistake. What else can I do? I am asking, please.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Lisa, I cannot begin to comprehend the thought process behind your last two posts. But next time someone posts a ridiculously sourced, inflammatory political thread in the main forum, I'll make a point of contacting you before I post. ;)