- advertisement -

A few questions.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nevaeh's mommy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

for those who have the answers and experience please help!

Are there any great books you would suggest?

Do you check your child more than once a night? Our endo doc wants us to check once at 3am only but before Nevaeh experienced the croup she is fighting off now she was going low almost every night and I didn't feel comfortable just waking up once.

Does anyone have problems with your stomach aches after eating? I imagine it is her BS going up but sometimes I wonder. She grabs her stomach and acts like she is in a lot of pain.

Thats all for now but I'm sure I will have others come up soon!

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!

I love this forum!!! :)

2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I really like the book Think Like a Pancreas great info on all things D.
    We check bg at 10:30 pm, 2 am and if I get a bad # I will check bg@ 5am too. As far as belly aches goes have your DD checked for celiac?

Ps i love this forum too! ;) :)

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Another question vote for checking for Celiac with the tummy issues. Type 1, thyroid, and Celiac tend to go together.

We vary the time of night time bg checks just to see what is happening at different times of the night.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

I love that book too! I have learned SO MUCH!!! As for checking, we play it by ear based on what dinner was and/or if we expect to have problems, not routinely. If he goes to bed on the lower side or bordering a high, we'll check in an hour or two to make sure. Sometimes DH doesn't sleep much and checks often or wakes up and feels like God tells him to check and every time that happened there actually was something wrong.

6. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I check at 11pm, 1am and 3am but, that also correlates with bathroom times for me to wake him.

As for the tummy aches, he only has pain if he hasn't had a BM in a couple of days.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think checking at night is a very important part of managing your child's diabetes. I do it every night, multiple times a night and have done it since she was dx 5 years ago. I have caught numerous lows and highs.

Here are some books.....

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Too sweet! My mom kept Olivia during the holidays...she told Olivia that God woke her up in the middle of a good dream so she could do a bg check! :)

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Check when you are comfortable checking - you don't need your endo's permission. If you think your child is dropping based on past experience, then check.

I would definitely ask to have your child tested for Celiac. That can cause stomach pain. I have never heard of a person getting an upset stomach directly after eating due to blood sugar. It could be gas, it could be nerves, it could be a dairy allergy, or it be celiac.

11. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Thank you

Thank you all for your advice and answers to my questions! She had bloodwork done a little over a month ago and the endo doc said she was cleared for everything except hypothyroidism. So should I bring the celiac up again? Can it come on suddenly after the blood work was done?

Thank you all again for your support!

12. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Shortly after diagnosis, my 5-year-old son was constantly complaining of stomach pain. We found (by x-ray) that he had a lot of fecal matter hung up all over the place (even though he used the bathroom every day). We then gave him a capful of Miralax every day for two weeks...you would not believe the stuff that came out over that time....no more stomach pain now :).

Apparently, insulin can have that effect on some.