advertisement

A few questions about NightScout

Discussion in 'NightScout (CGM in the Cloud)' started by swellman, Aug 7, 2014.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

My first main question is data reliability. Does the uploader upload individual data points or pieces/parts or entire data files? My main reason for asking is continuity of data if one switched devices. Say, had a home uploader but then connected it to a mobile device. Will there be loss of data?

The second is the Pebble. It's BlueTooth, right? What is the maximum reliable range? I saw a picture of someone on the side of what looked like a soccer field and that seems pretty impressive.

My third is how much data is transmitted? I'm just wondering how much of a data plan is needed to upload data 24X7.

2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We see 3 hours of data on the nightscout site that pulls from our mongolab db. I am using a cheap moto g phone to act as our uploader. If I unplug it from the receiver and use another device your data on the nightscout site will stop, for the time period you are switching, but the data on the dex is still there and will be on your dex studio when you upload your receiver.

I don't have a pebble so I can't speak to that. There are lots of folks on the nightscout FB page that LOVE the pebble and can give you better feedback.

From what I have learned about nightscout, the data transmitted in minimal. I have not set up the moto g to a data plan. Right now we are using wifi from our house or if DD is at a friends. I need to see if her school will let us connect to their wifi, but if not, I will sign up for a cheap Ting plan for $9 a month using a referral code from the nightscout FB page. I have heard others mention Freedompop as a cheap data plan option, but that isn't available in my area.

ETA: I wanted to add that you can also see on the nightscout site 3 days of data on a very small graph in addition to the last 3 hours of data. Nightscout also shows a prediction line of the BG trend. We're only a week in so, not sure how accurate that prediction feature is.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. swellman

So, if you disconnect or run out of service then the data is lost and the gap is not "filled in"?

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Ours fills in everything except when the Dexcom is out of range. I've attached a picture to explain. We only have it plugged from bedtime until she gets up and unplugs it in the morning (which could mean noon depending upon when she wakes up/gets around to unplugging it. So, in the below picture you can see an empty place when she was out of range, but you'll also see that the data is retrospectively added when we plug it in at night. There's data for 2:00pm yesterday, but there's no way it was plugged in at that time. Today it was unplugged around noon, but when we plug it in again at bedtime, it will add all of today's data. Hope that makes sense.

[​IMG]

5. swellman

Ah, no ... I get it. I think I was confused by your wording. Good. Thank makes sense and I wanted to make sure that it didn't have to be tethered all the time.

I read that the Boost Moto G could be activated on Ting but it's not in their compatible list.

EDIT: One more thing ... the NightScout web site stated it was necessary to have a second Dexcom receiver so you didn't have to unplug it so often. Does the Dexcom continue to work completely when it's tethered to the phone? Or is this just a safety precaution because of the fragile USB port on the receiver?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

OK, well strangely, it didn't populate the missing data when I plugged it in tonight. i don't really care, I just have no idea why it didn't. So basically, if you look at the picture above, it's a big blank space between noon and 10:00pm, then it starts back up again.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I bought 2 new Boost mobile Moto G's from BestBuy and activated them on Ting.

The uploader will pull 2 days of data from the Dexcom when it initiates the app, or you can switch the past data upload off in the app preferences. It is not necessary to have 2 receivers, the last few weeks we have just left the rig on the counter in the main room and we miss data something but I am ok with that. We have the phone and Dexcom in a very small phone wallet and on a lanyard. My oldest will wear it like a cross body purse and my youngest we will have to find a spot in the classroom to leave it and she will wear her other Dexcom receiver in a running belt as usual, I am worried my youngest will not be as carefull with the setup.

Regarding the Pebble. I your above question are you wondering about you looking at the T1D's numbers or the T1D lokking at their own numbers?

Pebble pulls from the website directly utilizing the phone it is paired to. So the phone it is paired to has to be within range. I have a paired Pebble and watch my T1D's numbers from miles away, and I will get the numbers as long as they stay in range of their Nightscout uploader.

8. swellman

Ah, thanks. That clears some things up about the pebble.

Regarding the Dexcom, I just read on the website about "optional" two Dexcom receivers.

I was just wondering if that was because some of the functionality of the Dexcom receiver (alarms, entering BG, etc.) was disabled while it was tethered or for charging the unit and to prevent the fragile USB from breaking. Personally, I'm not too worried about the Dexcom USB because we've plugged and unplugged the charger countless times with no problems so far however, I believe I have heard of some USB failures.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this first thing next week. I'm kind of excited about delving onto the code.

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Sorry, I meant to pop back on here yesterday, to answer your question about missing data. Trying to get my kiddos ready to go back to school!! :) Did MMGirls and MamaAttorney's reply help?

Lots of folks only use 1 Dex receiver. We do.

You may not have to delve into too much code. Last night, the folks at NS posted on FB that they have eliminated the whole Android Studio part of the setup. They were in the process of updating the instructions on the NightScout.info site. They are also updating the youtube videos to correspond with new set process. (It should be noted for anyone reading this that if you did the android studio route, don't change anything you are still good to go.)

Good luck! I swear it felt like Christmas when I first saw DD's numbers online!! :glee:

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The two dexcoms is just to not be touching the tethered Dexcom to protect the port. In no way is the Dexcom compromised by being pluged into the phone.

My oldest will carry on a lanyard across her body the setup, my youngest will have a standalone Dexcom on her and the setup in her backpack.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The second dex is a saftey precaution in case tugging and pulling on the port causes it to crap out then you are left with cgm until your replacement arrives. I think this disclaimer is there bc no one wants to be blames for your dex breaking. Being plugges in all the time will not break the port but pulling and tugging at it might. Some have found the port to be pretty fragile. That said, you could use sugru, a rubbery silicon glue-ish stuff, to stabalize the cord in the port. Dex will charge on the phone so you never really need to unplug. Or you could just tape it down for extra support.

Regarding pebble. Pebble connects via bluetooth to your own droid or iphone on your person. So if dex is connected with a cord to a droid and the data is contantly going to the cloud, the you can access that data from any internet device, iphone, xbox, wii, laptop, etc. If you have a kid with the dex/droid rig nearby and you have your iphone checking his data then your pebble will connect to your own phone and provide that data, and texts and other stuff too that the pebble does. In your case sinc eyou are using it for your own self, you can sync the pebble to the rig or you iphone in your pocket. Why dex doesn't make a watch looking receiver I have no idea. Dex, if you are listening, shrink down the receiver and put a strap on it and I will gladly pay you 200 bucks!

Or you could strap the dex to your wrist with clear packing tape. :)

12. swellman

I'm really confused and disheartened that the Pebble can't link with the android phone hooked to the Dexcom. That seems like a no-brainer to me. When I saw pictures of people driving with their Pebble and stating that they were so glad they didn't have to check their Dexcom it never occurred to me that they had to have another phone.

13. denise3099

You don't need a second phone. You can connect the pebble to the Dex droid combo. It's just that for parents the rig is with the kid and the pebble is with the parent and smart phone. But if it's for yourself then you can connect the pebble to the rig. But do you carry another phone? Basically the droid really can't be used as a regular phone most of the time because you don't want your Dex dangling all over the place. So if you need a phone too for calls you'd want a separate one. That said though you definitely can connect the pebble to the droid.

14. swellman

Confused. From NightScout site.

If you CAN connect to your NightScout rig then how? Download the app, etc? Does the uploader rig poll the web site like any other device? (more bandwidth). I mean ... it didn't make sense that you couldn't install the pebble app on the droid slave.

15. denise3099

I see that it says that and that is confusing. I think it is meant to explain to people with children that the pebble with stay with the parent and the rig will go with the child. However, there is no reason whatsoever that the pebble can't connect to the rig phone (droid). But when you see the kid on a field playing soccer and the watch on the parents arm 50 feet away, that pebble is connected to the parents smart phone in his own pocket or purse, NOT to that kid's rig across the field.

It is true that some people have found the pebble kind of skitish when connect to the rig phone. But some have found it skittish connected to iphones on certain providers, like ting.

You connect the pebble to the rig phone the same way you do to any other phone. You just pair your pebble with your phone turnign on bluetooth and download the pebble app for droid and then get the nighscout watchface. It's listed on the app site with the other watch faces. YOu can also make and receive calls and texts on the rig phone and do everything else on it like a regular phone. HOwever, you have to be aware that the phone is attached to the dex receiver by a cord plugged into the port so messing with your phone means dangling you dex all over town and the port is somewhat delicate, or at least not meant to be swung like a dead cat. So you can tape the cord into the dex with raffers tape (storng like duct tape with no sticky residue) or more permanently with sugru, like plastic glue.

16. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

I am going to be at Louisville, KY Heine Bros coffee shop, Shelbyville Rd. for JDRF meeting tomorrow, 9/3/14 6 p.m. and will bring our Nightscout. I am very new and can't answer all questions but it is working and I can show basic setup. Come if you'd like to see it.

17. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

This meeting is being rescheduled to the beginning of October. No one seems able to make it today due to sports schedules, etc.