- advertisement -

A different kind of dinner

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by StillMamamia, Mar 21, 2009.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

DH decided to make a "camp fire" today. He dug a hole in a part of the yard:eek: made the fire inside, let it die down and then put dinner inside.
    He wrapped salmon steaks and potatoes with the skin individually in aluminum foil, and threw them in the fire. 20 minutes later dinner was ready:) Add some salad and voila!
    Wonder what the neighbours thought about our camp fire:eek:
    Plus between the hole and the mole hills, our back yard looks like Mars:rolleyes:

2. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

I bet the neighbors were wishing they had thought of it first! Great idea...sounds like it was a lot of fun, did you roast marshmallows too?

3. StillMamamia

Nope!
    Forgot to add, we actually ate at the dinner table:eek: way to cold to eat outside...plus that would really make the neighbours think we are crazy:D

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Thats the sort of dinner my kids love trying - never works :(

You get moles?? Are they cute?

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is a common meal Boy Scouts cook. It can be really yummy.

6. tracy true

tracy true Approved members

That sounds great , but was the food lovely ? it sounds like it .:D

7. StillMamamia

Moles are cute. We just have one, or had, not sure if it's still hanging around. We had it last year too. Darn bugger made mole hills like there was no tomorrow!:rolleyes: We bought a thingy which vibrates (not THAT kind!:eek:) last year. It supposedly makes the ground vibrate and makes the mole leave. It didn't!!! Bugger came back this year (assuming it's the same one) and made hills on the opposite side of the yard:eek: Like it knows, you know... anyway, our yard looks bad!!

Yes, dinner was really good! For the potatoes, you can spoon out the flesh, but your hands get black. The salmon is really tender and yummy.

DH loves to camp, and loves fire! Must be a man thing!:D

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sounds yummy! I'm jealous!

9. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I think I will go dig a hole in the ground and cook this way too..Your dinner sounds so good..:)

10. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Oh, yummy!
    That makes me want to go camping. Everytime we camp we cook "dinner in the ground". We make foil packets, bury them under the dying campfire embers, go for hike for about an hour, then dig them up & eat.

I've never tried fish - it would be faster. We always use chicken breasts or beef and then everyone can throw what they want on top - onions, bell peppers, sliced potatoes & carrots, green beans, mushrooms, etc. & then wrap it all in heavy duty foil. This is making me hungry - I better go start dinner!

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

When we had trash to burn on the farm, we used to cook like that. Food tastes so yummy that way.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yummy. My favorite camping meals are foil packs put right in the fire.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

That sounds GREAT! If it makes you feel any better, my hubby just built a golf sand trap in our backyard:eek: The green is next:D

14. bisous

bisous Approved members

That sounds delicious! Lucky you for having a yard! We aren't even allowed a barbecue on the patio, lol!