- advertisement -

A Diabetes Hoarder Story - blog post

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by coni, Jul 9, 2014.

1. coni

coni Approved members

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

This isn't about diabetes hoarding at all. It's about someone who used to be have health insurance with diabetes, so she had a 10 syringe "rainy day" supply. It's not that dramatic of a story, either, in my opinion. I used to reuse syringes on MDI out of laziness. And frequently for more than a day. I have like 60 Cozmo reservoirs still. I'm more of a diabetes hoarder. I kept waiting for the part of the story where she turned into a hoarder.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This story was just weird. So a person has 10 syringes she forgot about 20 yrs Ago. Hardly a hoarder. (I won't say how many I have left over from when we started pumping.)

If I can be quite frank here....this whole story was 100% politically motivated, IMO. That was clear even before I got to the end. Just like journalists often do, she exaggerated one aspect of the story to make it fit the political point she is trying to make. I'm sure for her, it was a very personal struggle, and there must have been more than can be explained in one article. I am truly glad she is able to afford insurance and take care of her diabetes properly now. But really? 10 (forgotten) syringes does not a hoarder make. To call it a hoarder story is totally ridiculous. I get it--she likes universal health care. But for us, obamacare has made d supplies cost double what they used to so I have a hard time sympathizing with her politics.

With her former hardship--yes, I do sympathize with that. It is scary to wonder if you will die because you can't afford medications. Nobody should have to face that. But I guess if it's a sob story she was looking for, she could've found a much better one.

If you want to tell your story, by all means, do it. But don't bend the truth for politics. It cheapens your story. It diminishes the benefits of telling it.