- advertisement -

A decade with D.....my letter I sent out today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 2type1s, Jul 20, 2009.

1. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Today is July 20th, and I chose to write our family donation letter on this day because 10 years ago today my life changed. I was supposed to going to a baby shower for my soon-to-be-born baby girl. Instead I was rushing a very sick Morgan to Vanderbilt hospital. Over the next few hours Mike and I learned that our little 4 year old girl had type 1 diabetes. An autoimmune disease that had destroyed the cells in her pancrease that produce insulin. She would have to take shots, monitor every bite of food, and prick her fingers multiple times a day for the rest of her life. It was a rough day. And although most days are good ones now, it requires constant vilgilance, and even then, some days are still bad. One of the worst was when Zoe started showing some familiar symptoms eight years later. She was officially diagnosed October 24 2007, at age 8. Luckily, she was caught very early and did not get really sick like Morgan. One mother from my diabetes support group was not so lucky. Deb's 4-year-old daughter had the familiar symptoms, thirst, vomiting, lethargy, and was told by her pediatrician that she probably had a virus and sent home. She continued to worsen and eventually went to the ER. They realized she had diabetes there but she was very critical. She ended up in the ICU, however the doctors couldn't save her, the high blood sugars had done too much damage causing brain and organ failure. This mom is now educating others in her precious little girl's memory.
    Even though I feel like some days are too much having 2 children with this disease, I feel blessed to have them with me, and thankful my girl's stories did not end like Deb's.

There is some good news, though. For the first time, scientists are predicting that we CAN expect to see a cure well within our lifetime!

Now, more than ever, you can make a crucial difference. Won't you please give to JDRF? Together, we can make the cure a reality!

We each have a page, Morgan, Zoe and Sharon, and would love to raise $500 each (or more!). Please click on one of our profiles and donate for a cure. You can also walk with us on the BIG DAY.....September 19th, 2009 at the Bicentennial Mall in Nashville

over 87,000 finger pricks
    over 10,000 shots of insulin
    over 1,700 insulin pump site changes

Those are just for my daughters.
    Please help us find a cure.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

That is a great letter. Deb's daughter's story is especially heart wrenching. I hope we find a cure soon. :(

3. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

I know this is totally off-topic, but did that Doctor lose their license?

Absolutely heartbreaking!

4. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

Fantastic letter Sharon! It is good that you included Deb's story. Awareness is key and the more people that know the symtoms the better. I didn't know anything and thus Marcus had a BG over 900 when diagnosed. Your letter could save a life because it identifies the symptoms so parents have a seed planted and will know what to look for if their kiddo starts showing the signs. Your letter could help save many lives because it will help raise funds for research and there will be a cure in our kids lifetimes!
    I posted our letter somewhere on CWD but now I can't remember where. Probably in diagnosis stories.

I hope you raise a bunch of money for JDRF!
    Best of Luck!

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Gosh, you're breaking my heart here! But it was a very good letter! I think a lot of people will "get it" when they read that. Good luck and thank you for using your experiences to raise awareness!

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Thanks ya'll.....I've thought many times about how that could have been me. Deb's story tore me up for days. Morgan had been sick (I think) for a long time, but bad for over 3 weeks. I explained away her symptoms.....she was wetting the bed because her big sister went away to camp for the first time, she was peeing all the time because she had a bladder infection...no fever....kept getting better for a few days, then worse again, she complained about her window being too small and too far away at night (blurred vision)...I thought it was bedtime behavior, taking naps again...growth spurt....vomiting at the pool because she swallowed pool water. I was also 8 months pregnant.....and my head was not all there. I still feel guilty for how much Morgan suffered. I can't bring myself to look at pictures of her a few weeks before diagnosis. I distinctly remember them putting the IV in her and she didn't even flinch. Then another child was screaming down the hall as they tried to get an IV in. The good news is, that the pictures of her one month later, holding her baby sister are beautiful.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Tammy....hopefully I'll see you before then!!!!

8. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Beautiful letter. Good luck on your walk.