- advertisement -

A Day off Carb-counting

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MomofSweetOne, Sep 16, 2013.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My teen was running a fever yesterday, and I overshot the basal increase. When we realized it, she didn't want me to drop it. She grazed all day without carb-counting or bolussing; she ate when she wanted and if she needed to eat, the CGM alarmed. Granted, after 3 years, she knows approximately how much things will spike her, but she was delighted last night that she'd been able to eat without counting - and that her graph for the day was better than the Bionic Pancreas!:D It flies in the face of everything we were taught, but it has me thinking maybe we should just have days occasionally where the basal is intentionally too high and snacking is expected, to ease the burden of being a teen with T1.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our CDE sometimes suggests ramping up afternoon basal rates to manage teen grazing. I think she assumes that there will be some bolusing but it cushions the impact of bolusing for 10 grapes, but eating 30 :p

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think it's wise to think outside the box with teens. ;) We do this when we're having family parties especially now that we've moved beyond the "spend all afternoon jumping on the trampoline with the cousins" phase of life. It is now "spend all afternoon playing video games with the cousins, while sharing a bowl of chips." So it seems to help. It's not normal to have to think about every morsel of food that goes into a teens mouth, so whatever makes that more normal is good.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

We've purposely set the Lantus high for years to facilitate grazing without all the the carb counting and bolusing. Works like a charm. :)

We just have to keep an eye on the overnights on MDI, because the extra Lantus can pull her low if we're not careful.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I just think of the times that she is starting with a tummy issue and she has unreal flat line on the CGM because she is not absorbing or in the summer when she is being extremely active and has uncovered snacks to stay above 90.

Recently,she has had a tummy issue nd I lowered everything. I raised basal back first and still have not back to the original bolus coverage, but we are doing good.