- advertisement -

a daughter turns 15 today, and I get my dx

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by czardoust, Mar 28, 2011.

1. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

So guess what? I have Type 2, says my dr after the A1c came back a mere 6.7. I thought that was a great number! I told him "my daughter would kill for this number." I'm a little confused. First off, I'm losing weight like there is no tomorrow (20 pounds in a month, not trying). I AM however, extremely dry mouthed, thirsty even through the night, drinking water constantly. And I'm UNDER 200 pounds! First time I have hit that mark in.....uh......dang.....12 yrs I think. Why would I not get dx'ed back when I was 230 pounds and ate constantly? Why when I have no appetite? Not complaining....I'm a big girl. I can handle it. Just makes no sense to me is all, why when I am feeling so healthy (except for the day/night constant need and search for water).

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Two thoughts:

Weight loss is a symptom of uncontrolled diabetes, no matter the type, if the blood sugar is high enough.

What makes your doctor sure it's type 2? With your family history, and the extreme weight loss suggesting a more rapid onset, I would push for antibody testing.

3. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I did tell the dr that my moms mother was 51 when she was dx'ed with T1. He thinks its T2 because I am overweight and 41 yrs old. Thank you for validating what I think should be done. (antibodies test). I go back on Friday for more testing.

4. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I agree, more testing is needed.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adults) is ver commonly dxd in your 40s. And it is very genetic.

It affects thin people and overweight people the same. Dr.s just misdiagnose it in overweight because of bias toward type 2.

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hugs, regardless.. I am sure you haven't been feeling well and I hope you are on the path of feeling better.

7. vinedyta

vinedyta Approved members

hugs and thoughts to you

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It could very well be LADA. Have you been checking your BGs Caroline?

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

A friend of mine was diagnosed with type 2 and had the same rapid weight loss you did and also went into DKA. (35% of all DKA Cases are type 2)
    I would still go for the antibody testing and maybe do a C-peptide as well.
    I see a lot of people who are "big" and they still have type 1 or type 1.5.
    I think a lot of doctors just assume someone is type 2 or type 1 because of the person's size and they need to do the tests to determine what type of diabetes the person really has. By the way, welcome to the club no one wants to join.

10. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

my mom was also diagnosed in her 40's - definately T1, I would ask for more testing when you go back. Good luck! :cwds:

11. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Sorry to hear that Carolyn.

Phhhth.. I'll probably get a type2 diagnosis later on in life. I have several aunts - not even close to being overweight" - who have diabetes. It's just a genetic predisposition. And perhaps the Filipino diet?