- advertisement -

8 yr old son starting frst year of tackle football

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Peanut6, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Peanut6

Peanut6 Approved members

Ok I am scred to death about this because he has been known to go really low if he is too active and we are coming off a virus which had him back and ? forth to the hospital with crazy lows so what can I expect? Is there things I should definately make sure i keep with me like gatorade certain snacks that work better please help because well i am just freakig out firt practice is tomorrow
    :eek:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If he's coming off a virus, a stomach virus, then he may not be absorbing carbs fully and that may be the cause of the lows, so keep that in mind when carbing him up for sports

3. Peanut6

Peanut6 Approved members

Yes that is exactly what was going on but he has been better for almost 2 weeks now but it still makes me nervous with him starting football so soon after and him never playing before he did do basketball and soccer and he wojuld just burn like crazy so I am thinking the same thing with football

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It would help people to respond if you gave some information, like what kind of insulin he is using, is he on a pump, etc.

5. Peanut6

Peanut6 Approved members

Sorry:eek: He is on novalog he was diagnosed not yet a year ago and we are still learning as we go He is on 1 unit for every 50 carbs for all meals and he gets 2 units of lantus at night he tends to drop low quickly and he can rise just quick he is kind of all over the map

6. Christopher

No reason to apologize, just trying to get you the best help possible. :cwds:

Did you speak to your son's Endo about this? Sometimes they can be of help too.

Here are some links to other discussions:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=70916&highlight=football

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=70513&highlight=football

One key is going to be testing his bg several times before he plays, and also during and after. You will probably want his bg to be a bit higher than normal before a game or practice.

Another thing to consider is how you are going to communicate with the coaches about his disease and how to best manage it.

I am sure more experienced parents will chime in with better/more detailed advice.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We find that Gatorade works very well, very quickly.

What I would do is just test him at his water breaks. At this age, they get plenty.

We have found football to be unexpectedly easy. My son's adrenaline appears to almost perfectly counteract the exercise. It's sort of bizarre.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Christopher

In case your son is interested, here is a link to a video I made of Jay Cutler, Quarterback for the Chicago Bears, who has Type 1, testing his bg on the sidelines during a game. It was when he was still with Denver, but your son might like to see it. And John Madden has some nice things to say about him being a role model for young children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEZJUbeBqY&feature=youtu.be

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

We also find that adrenaline nicely combats the lows and we end up with a really pretty 300+ with active competitive sports. But give Gatorade at breaks and have him test often until you know how he will react.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Yes, this! We found more highs than lows with football. Adrenaline highs, sometimes we gave 1/2 a correction after practice, sometimes he came down on his own. YDMV (your diabetes may vary). My son was 13 when he played football, 5 months after dx. Keep gatorade handy. There is a lot of trial and error I found, with sports. Test frequently so you know how his body is reacting.

Good luck! Youth football is awesome! My son started at age 6 thru sixth grade! Then on to the school sports! ENJOY these times, they are so precious!:)

Kathy

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Football hasn't been too crazy here either, so I hope you find it to be the same. I keep stocked with PB crackers and granola bars and he keeps those in his bag along with some gateraide. As others said, we find highs to be more of a problem than lows, from adrenalin, particularly during hitting practices and games.

Hopefully things will level off for you after the virus and you'll be able to do see some patterns and anticipate his needs a bit before practice.

I LOVE football, this is my son's last year of high school and I'm going to miss it soooo much.

12. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

My son used to play football. He was playing during the time he was dx 2 years ago. He doesn't play anymore but I do remember that his blood sugar would drop a lot during practices, but go very high for games (because of adreneline). No other sport has dropped him like football practice did (except when he is swimming), but he was also newly dx and in a very strong honeymoon at the time. He always checked at water breaks and we eventaully found that gatorade worked to keep his numbers up. I also worked his dinner schedule so there was very little or no active novolog in him during practice because that made it so much worse. Everyone is probably very different though so you will have to test him a lot especially at first. I hope he has fun and enjoys football!

13. Peanut6

Peanut6 Approved members

see this is my worry we will eat dinner right before practice and I do not want him to shoot down Maybe tonight I will just give him half what he usually gets for a meal and see where we are because I would rather deal with a high later than a crash on the field

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Maddie plays field hockey and lacrosse, for late practices we go with a low-no carb dinner, often eggs, salad (bacon if she's lucky) then she has a more carby snack after, maybe a smoothie of fruit and milk or a bowl of cereal - depending on the numbers in and out of practice we might bolus for half or bolus for all and then lower her basal a bit expecting her exercise to hit during the night.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, we do something similar, or we will do a big snack mid-afternoon, and then something light when he gets home from practice. Even without diabetes, it's no fun to eat a big meal and then go immediately into a strenuous sports practice.

16. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

During football season, my son will typically eat 2 suppers...one before practice and another larger one after practice. We bolus fully for the before practice meal and only partially for the after practice one

I find that lows do not occur during practice (this is his 7th year, and he has only had ONE low during a practice or game), the lows typically happen later in the evening, (and at times throughout the night - yawn...like last night)

When my son first started playing football, we would feel more comfortable with him starting at a higher number and have him sip gatorade throughout practice instead of water because we were afraid of him going low during practice. After some time we discovered that he tended to go higher when starting on the highish side and adding liquid carbs, he felt lethargic during practice from his numbers creeping up...so what we were doing was actually counter-productive.

With time (and confidence) he now starts at a number that would make us smile when it popped up on his meter, and he drinks water during practice.

We are definately in the minority here (and I might be the only one), but I never made him test during practice...we would test 1.5 hours, 1 hour, 1/2 hour before practice to see which direction he might be going, and then when he was stepping out of the car to go to practice, then he would immediately test after practice - if he felt he needed to, he would test during practice also..I felt like this gave us a good picture of what happened during practice, and if any changes needed to be made to what he should drink, eat etc prior to practice.

It will take time to figure out what works best for your child, my suggestion is do what makes both of you feel comfortable and work from there.

Good luck! Hope he has a great season!

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son feels highs/lows very reliably and intuitively, so he doesn't test during practice routinely either, only if he feels a need. When he wears Dexcom I make his sister (who is watergirl) carry the receiver during games and hope to catch a stray signal by standing near him...problem is that he plays offense and defense a lot of the time so he's often far from her!

We had a similar experience of initially running high going into practice/games and learning that it wasn't necessary. Lows tend to happen hours later, not during here too. Highs happen with games, very reliably, and are not corrected as they drift down naturally in a reasonable time frame.

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son tested during games and/or practices with the help of the Athletic Trainers... My daughter is a Student Athletic Trainer and she and the professional trainer would urge Vince to check himself. :eek:

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Maddie tests before she eats before practice, if she eats, and then as she's hopping out of the car. She almost never tests during practice but when she hops back in the car she does - we often see adrenaline highs after sport so that number is rarely low.