- advertisement -

7 day CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, Apr 30, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

We are doing the 7 day CGM from the doc's office (no screen just recording to the device for doc review). After a couple of days DD started complaining the tape was getting itchy. Today (day 5) the area immediately around and below the tape is red. Is this a normal reaction to the tape or abnormal irritation from it? Anything I can do before the 7 days are up?

Thank you in advance.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm not familiar with this kind of use, are you unable to see any data yourself? Does it just download in a week?

I ask because when we've had irritation and inflammation it's messed up our Dexcom often, I think the immune reaction around the site makes it hard to read from the sensor. So you may not be getting data anyway. Unless someone here has a good suggestion for fixing the problem you may want to ask the endo if you should keep it in place.

I do know there are folks here who have troubleshooted (troubleshot?!) extensively about reactions like that, someone may have a better solution for you, but wanted to chime in our experience. Good luck.

3. monkeyschool

Thank you :) Yes. that's pretty much how it is set up. The data seems to record to the transmitter itself? After 5-7 days we remove it and take it back to the hospital for them to upload the data. Then they give us a report. We have no idea if it is working or not as we are using it :(

I am either going to remove it tonight or tomorrow (they didn't tell me how to remove it though so hopefully I won't mess anything up) and drop it off Monday morning. The tape is about 3-4" wide. The area around the sensor is not too irritated, it is more closer to the edges of the tape.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You must be using an i-Pro.

I don't know that there's much you can do about the tape irritation other than remove it. You might want to ask them what kind of tape it was so that if you do ever pump or use CGM regularly, you can avoid that kind of tape from the get-go.

5. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

We did the same study (I-Pro) but David didn't have any redness or itching at the site. He didn't like wearing it though and said that it felt uncomfortable. I would take it off and like Karla said, ask what kind of tape they used so you can avoid it.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Has anyone ever used benadryl or benadryl cream as a temporary fix just to get through another day? Or would that interfere with the sensor?

My other thought is, it's not hot or painful or swollen, is it? We've only had an infection once with a sensor wire, but we discovered it pretty quickly because the Dex went all wiggy on us so we removed it and it never got bad. I don't know if infections happen with those enough for it to be a concern.

7. monkeyschool

I am not sure what it is called, I'll make sure I ask when I return it on Monday so I know for the future. The nurse gave me an extra piece of the tape...I'll check it to see if it's wrapping says what it is. She said it's the same tape they use in hospitals to tape down IVs (it's a clear film type of thing).

The site doesn't hurt. They had a hard time getting the needle out (? I think that's the part they pulled out...not sure what it is called). The first day DD said it felt like a bruise when she touched it or walked upstairs. By day 3 that was gone, but the itching started. It doesn't look bruised or swollen to me, but it's a bit hard to see because the nurse put 4 or 5 pieces of the tape over it to make sure it stayed put through all our activities.

I am going to try to leave it in until tomorrow night. We didn't get instructions on pulling it out. Can you guys offer some advice in that area?

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's probably IV3000.

As far as pulling it out, we just grab a corner of the tape and pull. The sensor wire itself is flexible, so it's not like you'll tear her skin with it or anything. :)

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter cannot wear IV3000 because of a terrible itching almost immediately, but has no problems with either Tegaderm or Flexifix. Tegaderm and IV3000 are both used in hospitals. Flexifix beats them both by a mile as far as sticking and not causing itching, plus it is a whole lot cheaper if you are paying out of pocket.