advertisement

60 grams carbohydrate

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mathcat, Sep 27, 2015.

1. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

It turns out that not a single food in my house shows at least 60 grams of carbohydrate for a single serving. I do not buy lunchables or whatever else might have that amount of carbs in a single serving. I buy the individual items and ingredients that we make meals out of.

Why does this matter? My son is in a Biology class where they are collecting and analyzing food labels as part of a class project. Requirements like high protein/low fat, low sodium, and other things to look for were easy enough. He still needs 2 high carb/low protein/low fat, 2 high carb/high fat/ low protein, and 2 high carb/high protein/high fat. They are not going by carb factors though. Instead, 60 grams carb in a single serving is considered high carb. 2 or less grams is low protein, 3 or less grams is low fat, 13 or more grams is high fat, and 8 or more grams is high protein.

Orange juice, for example, is not high carb because a single serving is only about 26 grams according to the label.

But, so far we cannot find a single item labeled with 60 grams of carb. What gets me is that pictures are not allowed. I would be happy to take my son to the grocery store to find and take pictures of the items but that is not good enough. I suspect the teacher does not want every one to take pictures of the same labels.

I am a teacher myself. I make a point of stepping back at having my son manage his way though each teacher's requirements. In all other matters this teacher seems great. But, to have to buy items I would not otherwise buy just for the labels seems a bit much.

If you know of a reasonably priced, reasonably nutritious item that shows at least 60 grams carb in a serving, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Look at bread products. Something like a Sub Roll, Large Bagel, or Muffin might work.

3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Can your son do fast food? A 12oz Oreo McFlurry from McDonalds is 80g carbs, 17g fat, and 12g protein, and their large strawberry lemonade is 80g carbs, 0g fat, and 1g protein. Starbucks also seems to have a ton of high-carb food and drink options.

Edit: I found a juice that has over 60g carbs per serving. I'm shocked -I used to drink these "healthy smoothies" all the time prior to my diagnosis.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

It all has to do with what they are calling a serving.

If you find figs or dried apricots with a large "serving size" like 100 gram serving size on the label then that would work.
    Annie Chun's pre-cooked rice trays all have over 60 grams of carbs per serving (though their serving size is over 200 grams).
    There are other brands of pre cooked rice that might work: Veetee perhaps?

Small mac and Cheese or buttered noodles from noodle's and company are over 60, and you can get the nutrition info here: http://www.noodles.com/nutrition/

You can also build a Chipotle burrito with well over 100 grams of carbs here:

https://chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator

The teacher might even like to see that site.

5. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

Thanks for some of the ideas. I do fully agree that it is all in what they call a serving. It just turned out that nothing in my house had 60 grams of carb on a label for a single serving. The key was to be able to cut out labels with the requirements.

My son and I went to the store and eventually found some things that would work that would not cost too much. Price was another factor to me.

He used a couple of varieties of frozen single serve lemonades for the high carb, low fat, low protein at $1 each.
    I went ahead and bought cinnamon rolls with lots of icing for a high carb, high fat
    His dad will pick up large McDonald's fries since he will be on the road today anyway (high carb, high fat)
    I then sucked it up an bought a lunchable and a frozen meal to take care of the high carb/high fat/high protein.

Had he been allowed to take pictures at the grocery store or to find and use labels or nutritional information online, this would have been easy. The key was to find items that I would purchase that would not cost more than what I would find reasonable.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Now my son just needs to finish his write ups for each of the labels.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Look into ramen, if I recall, that is a pretty high cho count.

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I'd have an issue with having to buy the items too. I'm on an extremely tight budget, and sometimes struggle just to feed our family. Something like this I'd be talking to the teacher and refusing to purchase extras. Besides that, what's going to happen with all this food. In a class of 25 kids that's a lot of food.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Naked brand mango smoothie. 68cho.

9. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

The project has now been graded and my son earned a 100 for this test grade.

Now that it is over, I emailed his teacher. I started with plenty of positives as my son loves the class and by finally having reached 9th grade, he is taking a class that is close to his high science ability. He has a very high grade but at least the class is not completely too easy as has normally been the case. I then described my issues with the assignment and that I felt that taking pictures or printing from the web should have been acceptable. To have to purchase the undesired food items of at least 60 grams of carbs per serving just to have the labels was unreasonable. I explained the medical, financial, and other issues that some students might have had with detail of our particular issues.

The response from the teacher was very positive. This was the first year for this project and the details will be reevaluated before next year as many people had issues with various aspects of the project.