advertisement

6 year old BOY with Omnipod and Dex - anyone to compare experiences with?

Discussion in 'UK' started by divinechoc, Sep 21, 2014.

1. divinechoc

divinechoc New Member

My son was diagnosed with type 1 in 2012 and is now 6. I have learned a lot about type 1 as all parents do and give him all the freedom that I can whilst trying to keep him safe. Every day I am still astounded at how difficult it is to manage his BGs well. He is healthy and happy but no-one can understand what work is involved to keep him that way. His GP, the diabetes nurses and his consultant are all great but even they don't seem to grasp how unpredictable the BGs of a 6 year old boy are despite dedicated carb-counting, finger-pricks often and now the Decxom to aid us. The questions they ask me seem so uninformed. I think the advice and experiences of other parents of children with type 1 are the most valuable and especially those whose lives, age etc reflect your own. Is there anyone to share tales about type 1 boys with? I would love to hear from you, especially if you spend just about every night trying to beat unexplainable highs and catching lows and not sleeping much!!!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi and welcome.

I think most of us would report that our CDEs and Endos don't fully appreciate the complexity of living with a type 1 kid. Boys, girls, 6 or 16, it's never as simple as the text books suggest. Generally speaking people bring specific scenarios to the forums, i.e., difficulty carb counting, or post meal spikes, or seeking help with basal rates, etc. etc.. You'll likely get good advice if you have a specific question, though sometimes we do just vent. :cwds: