- advertisement -

504 type plan in private school?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

DD attends a very small private school (around 50-60 kids in K-4th grade) and last December when she was diagnosed we met with the school director before she went back to class and explained everything that had happened and what we were going to need. Then we met with her teachers and another teacher from another grade and taught them all what to do since there is no school nurse. It was basically a 30 minute crash course in insulin delivery, BG testing and how to treat highs/lows.

For the first two weeks after that DH came everyday at lunch and gave Molly her shots while talking through it with her teachers watching. Throughout the rest of the school year everything went smoothly and her teacher texted me if she ever had any questions or something was amiss or called if anything was really pressing.

This year she is going to first grade with a smaller class and only one full time teacher. This teacher was not one we trained last school year so well will need to get with her and teach her how to take care of DD as well.

My question is, do you think I should put together something more formal, like a 504 that the teacher and director can sign? I wouldn't have the first clue what to do, but I just want to make sure that Molly has everything she needs to be well taken care of, especially now that it is becoming more academic.

What do you do in a private school setting to make sure D care is taken care of?

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I would write it while things are good so there is no confusion with needs. This way they have reminder to help them remember during those first few busy weeks. However, they do not have to follow a 504 unless they accept federal money of any kind. As a teacher though a checklist ie 504 is nice to have.:)

3. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Agree with Joretta. Private schools are not covered by the 504 law, unless they accept federal funding of any kind. And a surprising number do - things like free lunches subsidized by the govt, special programs, etc. Your child doesn't have to partake of these, but if the school gets ANY federal funding they must follow the 504 laws.
    If they don't then using the 504 concept and guidelines to develop your own care plan is a good idea. It helps get everyone on the same page, can be referred to if there is a substitute, etc. And it establishes a precedent. Private schools can be great about this - they may actually care about each student, they see how helping a cwd improves their reputation, and it allows them to retain a student who might otherwise have to leave the school if it isn't safe for them to be there.

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thanks for posting this question...it is actually something I am very curious about too. DD will be attending a private school in the fall for the first time. I have spoken with the school about DD's t1 needs but we haven't had a formal discussion yet. I will be meeting before school starts with her teacher, principle and the other faculty members that would be in direct contact with DD. I am not sure if the school gets any funding from the feds but I will ask. I think using the format for a 504 could only help everyone be on the same page. I can't imagine DDs school being reluctant to follow any of the major guidelines a 504 typically includes.

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I don't think her school gets any federal funding. They don't have a cafeteria or anything and as I said, it's really small! :)

Does anyone have a link to a resource I could print and fill in the blanks on or anything like that?

6. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I used a standard diabetes plan outline (I googled it on the Internet) and in addition, wrote down what needs to done when, when to call me, when to call the paramedics, doctors' numbers, etc. In addition to a lot of details in the 5-page document, I made a one-page quick reference guide. The school really liked the quick reference guide part. They blew it up to almost poster size, laminated it and put it on the wall in the first aid room right above his supply box so that everyone would know where everything was.

I also met the mother of a boy who used to go to the same school (but has since graduated)...the school knows they can call her if the don't know how to handle something that goes wacko with the pump or something and can't reach me or my husband.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Don't get hung up in the term 504. 504 is a legal protection document protecting certain rights for your child in the public school environment. What you are talking about is a documented health management plan, so everyone is on the same sheet with regards to treatments, etc. That is always smart to make sure everyone understand things like treating highs and lows, what she should carry where, when to call mom, etc.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

9. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

10. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thanks for the pdf link and the tips from other CWD forum members! I'm hopeful this will be a wonderful school year for Olivia. Anything will be better than last yr since she was dx 2 weeks into 3rd grade. :( We are a few weeks from our 1st year mark....happy to report we all feel more confident! :cwds: