- advertisement -

504 thoughts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Then it might be of value for her to see that 504s , in and of themselves, are simply about accommodations. As in, "How is my D kid going to have equal access to the educational opportunities afforded to "normal" kids?" That's all it is - Not a medical management plan, not a pump or cgm user manual, just straightforward accommodations that work to keep the inconveniences of living with Type 1 at bay.

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

The bad news is - not all states are as efficient in their paperwork and compliance as yours and mine. Twenty-six pages, however, sets a new benchmark for "cumbersome."

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ugh. I don't see why school districts don't allow them. It's for their benefit too. Have you contacted the ADA?

Ours runs 4 pages on average, then the school puts all the bullet points on a one page district form and then staples mine to it. Kind of like a table of contents.

Medical plan is separate as it is private information regarding my daughters health. Only those who have authorization to administer medical care are allowed to see it.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

This is an area where I felt I had to pick my battle. I provided a clear and concise and well-organized draft 504 plan. The coordinator cut and paste the accommodations into the district's poorly formatted document. Despite the fact that I believe that a clear and concise well-formatted short document is better than long-winded, repetitive, ill-formatted one, I let that go because our school is extremely cooperative in other things that matter more to us.

However, I do think that the issue with repetitive documents is that, unless the repetition is exact, you can create ambiguity -- suggesting that when is was stated as X it meant something different than when it was stated as Y and I would resist that--even if it made the document longer because the repetitive part was being repeated verbatim.

5. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

The 504 process can be very frustrating. We finally have a good plan in place from last year. The nurse is new this year and we met with her in mid August before school started. I provided her with everything down to basal rates to the 504 plan before school started. Last night I received a text from her asking for the name and contact information of the endo even though that is provided at the top of the 504 plan. I don't think she ever even looked at the 504. :confused:

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We don't have a 504 because Hana goes to a Christian school. They will do whatever we ask. However, I did make up a form with what Hana needs during the course of a day. It is less than one page. I attached the NJ state law to it about giving insulin and testing in the classroom because when she first started there last year, there was an issue with them saying she had to test at nurses office.
    When she was in public school, the 504 was substantially longer, but maybe 4 pages. Not 26. I could see why some schools would give some push back on 504s if they are epic length.

7. bisous

bisous Approved members

Sarah, I agree with you. My 504 is actually just one page typed. It details ways that the school needs to make sure that DS has fair treatment and access. I purposely did not detail specifics (like if his blood sugar is 300 call the parent, if it is 250 just bolus), etc. because I have found that these details change all the time! As long as the basic rights are being guaranteed, the rest can be worked out individually with the nurse, the teacher, etc. I should attach my one page 504. I'm sure it isn't exhaustive of every need for every child but we've been to several schools now and it covers the big issues!

8. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

You need to be careful including the medical orders as part of the 504. If basal rates/carb ratios, or anything medical changes, then instead of simplying needed new dr orders, the whole 504 team must meet again in order to change the 504 plan.

A 504 plan should simply be the accommodations (access to bathroom, water, where to check bg, test accommodations, etc) It has nothing to do with the medical dr orders.

Also, the 504 plan should be passed out to all teachers the child has, so they have a copy showing the student has certain accommodations. Most teachers do not need (nor want) the medical orders. With 25+ kids in a class, they are not going to have time to flip through page after page after page to see that the student can go potty at anytime. They also are usually not the ones to deal with carb ratios and correction factors to administor insulin. The medical dr orders only need to be in the students health file that is usually in the nurses office/front office, and only a nurse or the trained diabetest staff are the ones who need that info.

I'm curious why the school would need to know basal rates?

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Did you ask her why she needed the endo's name and contact information? I realize we all provide it on the forms, but I would be curious as to why she specifically asked for it, i.e. is she planning on contacting them and if so, why?