- advertisement -

504 thoughts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's just my opinion, but I wanted to point out that the 504 you develop with school personnel need not detail ANY of the actual medical management of D.

I've stumbled across some FB chatter about an epic length 504 and the conflict that is causing with school admin.

When you make up a 504 plan it's just about, "what does my D kid need to be comfortable and safe in the classroom?" Things like access to bathrooms, nurse's office, water, snack and juice. Safe inclusion in field trips and not to be excluded from the class party cupcake. One page should do it. It's not a medical management plan - it's a 504. Big difference.

Disclaimer: this post was brought to you by the frenzy I'm hearing about on FB regarding a 26 page 504.:cool:

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

I agree. The 504 is the school form with a list of a few accommodations (less than 1/2 page). The medical plan is separate and that goes to the nurse and it is a Children's Hospital/State Form. At least that is what is typical from my experience.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My son's 504 form was a one page NCR triplicate (which the 504 admin painstakingly filled in by hand, reading every word aloud). Talk about excruciating. And invariably, a week after it was done, something would come up requiring a tweak, and we'd go through the whole.bloody.thing again. (With me silently screaming add a note to the week old thing!)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Yes, a "504" is really just anything you think the TEACHERS and ADMIN need to know - the med stuff is all in the medical management plan which is usually generated by the endo.

In our experience the nurse sits in on the meeting, generates the form, we add our addendum which is a page and a half and it adds DD's responsibilities and ours (for good measure) and that's that. If we discover that we've left something out.. then we amend it ;)

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I greatly appreciate this knowledge because we just had our 504 meeting and after signing several sheets of paper mandated by the school I though, that's it? Then I found out later that I would need to bring in a separate medical management form...self created of course because the 504 isn't detailed at all. So...truly thank you for letting me know that this is the "norm". Kindergarten will be a learning experience indeed.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oh good Lord! 26 pages? I'd get tired writing it, let alone reading it!

We use the template from the ADA. At the meeting the school takes notes and then they are required by the district to use a specific form filled in with what was discussed. At the bottom it says "see attached." That is or official form. Basically, the schools 504 form is bullet points. They use ours for the definitions and detailed instructions. Since our 504 meeting is always in the spring, the medical form is not even part of the meeting. I hand that in to the nurse on registration day and we go over anything that has changed from our usual plan.

Think of the medical plan in the sense of HIPPA. It has medical info that is private to you and the care giver (in this case the nurse or authorized persons). It isn't necessary for teachers to see it.

LOL, when my daughter was entering kindergarten, I thought the 504 created by me had to be one page. I handed the nurse a single page, double sided with a font of about 7:eek:

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

:p

(too short)

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna's 504 is one page and at our meeting in the spring the guidance counselor asked if we could cut the part about all her accommodations being in place for after school because" that's assumed anyway and really the teachers have so much to read, I don't want to overwhelm them". I was astounded by the idea that those poor put upon teachers having to read a FULL PAGE on my daughter. Wonder where I can find that 26 page one for next year. ;)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I drafted a 504 for our DD last year -- it was, IMHO, very concise, but nonetheless two pages (three pages with the signature page and contact information) mainly because I believe it is helpful to use headings to categorize the accommodations (e.g., "Food", "Field Trips and Extracurricular Activities", etc.). I started with an ADA form and edited it extensively.

We wound up with a 5-6 page form--only because the school has a badly formatted template that the coordinator was required to use.

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Our 504 plan is a school provided form with checked boxes and a space with a few lines to be written on. (They developed this form after OCR got on them a few years back for their lack of understanding a 504 plan :))
    We check the few box that apply to jess's accommidations, and write "follow IHP" (Indiviual health plan).

The teachers get a copy of the 1 page 504 saying Jess has access to the bathroom, water, diabtes supplies, checks bg anywhere, etc. Only they nurse gets the IHP with all the technical medical stuff.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

26 pages :eek: wholeesheet...what were they thinking?

12. Beach bum

Same here.
    I use headings too figuring if they are looking for something in particular, it will be easier to find. Honestly though, I think our teachers would go directly to guidance, who would then go to the nurse if there was an issue.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

Same here, we've always just used bullet lists to list the actual accommodations. The handling of those accommodations is a separate matter in which we hammer out with the teachers doing what works best for everyone.

14. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Ours is I think one and a half. Bullet points. Food, water, bathroom, absences, ranges for testing. The school had a template that really had anything we would have asked for, I was all armed with ADA info and other templates.

The health plan is a two pager the docs print off plus another 3 or 4 from the school.

I saw the 26 page thing and thought oh lordy. No way anyone's going to even read all that. My boss likes memos that are no more than one page bullet points. Newbies always give him these 25 page power points, he's never going to read them. One page bullet points is all he looks at. I can't imagine a teacher pouring through 26 pages of stuff to start with, or remembering any of it later if they did.

15. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Ours are 9 pages each. The first one is mostly personal info and an explanation of diabetes, the last is mostly contact info and signatures, and the other 7 is an outline format with headers and bullets. I started with the ADA form, added clauses I found on samples here and liked, then submitted it. The school liked it and we eliminated the separate medical care plan by including everything in the 504, which worked for them and us. Their total paperwork is the 9 pages from us and a 1 page form from the doctor. I can't imagine a one page document...but we also deal with a school that didn't agree to a 504 until an OCR threat was made and that debates everything. The school's proposal was 4 or 5 pages but since they liked ours we didn't even review it.

16. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

I would love for even a 1-page 504 to be approved for my DS. I can't imagine 26 pages though, that's out of control!

17. Beach bum

I'm just wondering what accommodations would need 26 pages?

18. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We didn't get a 504 until after I filed an OCR complaint...but I went a little further and found another cwd in the district who was denied also and we filed a class action complaint. OCR found the district was not eveluating kids correctly, and the district agreed to training and education. They had to re-write their entire 504 policy (not just regarding diabtes). I think this is why they have a such a great 1 page check sheet for 504 accommidations for every child that requires one.

19. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Hey, remember this mom could be reading. This 504 issue was written with the ADA Advocate and the advocate says it all goes in, but it does have pump and CGM instructions. My child's accommodations are 4 pages plus doctor issued pump forms (2 pages), doctor issued medical forms in case she needs MDI (2 pages) and school district health alert forms (4 pages). So it is 12 pages in all that goes out to teachers.

20. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Just curious, why are the teachers getting the pump and MDI doctor's orders? :confused:

Christine